X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Houston
    Back home
    • Oct 2008

This is a journey into time

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7t8eoA_1jQ&ob=av3e"]Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full - YouTube[/ame]

I suggest listening to this while reading through the thread.

I watch the old films on TMC from time to time but the only the ones that randomly appear on the channel, I've never actually gone out of my way to watch the ones considered G.O.A.Ts.
    So I'm about to start watching them and I'll post in this thread my thoughts on the movie.

I'm not watching these movies to rate them or for this thread. I'm watching them just cause I want to and I figured I might as well share my thoughts. I'm pretty for sure most people here wont care for most of the movies but oh well.

Here's an idea of the type of movies I'll be viewing.

It's a Wonderful Life
    Miracle on 34th Street
    White Heat
    The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951)
    Vertigo
    Citizen Kane
    Spartacus
    Ben-Hur
    Gone With The Wind
    North by Northwest

shit like that.

Obviously not popular films among the VSN crowd but like I said I'm not trying to make it a "cool" thread or anything. Just a place to share my thoughts....
  • MvP
    a member of vsn
    • Oct 2008

don't forget:

Dr. Strangelove
    Rebel Without A Cause
    Casablanca
    Rear Window

Comment

• Houston
      Back home
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by MvP
      don't forget:

Dr. Strangelove
      Rebel Without A Cause
      Casablanca
      Rear Window
      lol forgot about it but Casablanca's one of main ones on my list. I'll check out the others too

Comment

• Champ
        Needs a hobby
        • Oct 2008

Dr. Strangelove is in my top 20 movies.

Comment

• Maize
          • Jan 2010

Good list. Here's a few more to consider:
          On the Waterfront
          City Lights
          The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
          The Searchers
          Sunset Boulevard
          Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
          The Maltese Falcon
          "Arrive, Raise Hell, Leave" | Kentucky Wildcats
          2014 Season: 11-2 (7-2)
          Next Game: Bowl Game

Comment

• Houston
            Back home
            • Oct 2008

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g22kZ9jOsao&feature=related[/ame]
            This scene is pretty stupid but it's the only one on youtube.:ionno:

Never heard of this movie until I watched it last night. The stupid "info" that DirecTV had for the movie was misleading, they made it seem like she went on some rampage and killed atleast 4 people. It was hardly anything like that but I still really liked this movie.
            About a girl who meets a man who reminds her of her dead father(whom she was obsessed with) and calls off her current engagement to marry him. Then after they get married she's wants him to herself so bad she'd even fire the maids/cooks just so she could be the only one he sees on a daily basis. Of course though, her family and his is around 24/7 which drives her crazy.

Won a Oscar for best cinematography and the girl was nominated for Best Actress.
            Also was one of the first movie to deal with mental illness, especially among advance films. Meaning it wasn't a silent movie and was longer then 1 hour.
            Was the first movie to deal with abortion.

This movie had real good acting and a few great scenes. I'd even recommend this to someone who wasn't a fan of old movies.

Comment

• Houston
              Back home
              • Oct 2008

I'll probably watch this "Dr. Strangelove" MVP and Champ speak of.

Comment

• Juggernaut
                Sitting on the Sidelines
                • Dec 2008

I'd recommend it as well, we watched it in my psych class senior year. Loved every scene.

Comment

• Houston
                  Back home
                  • Oct 2008

lol, forgot about this thread.

I'm planning on watching Lawrence or Arabia tomorrow, it's one long movie though.
                  I also finally caught and recorded Dr. Strangelove on TV last week., gonna watch that soon.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                    Probably owns the site
                    • Feb 2009

Two suggestions-

The Man Who Would Be King (Connery + Caine FTW)
                    Hail the Conquering Hero (great B&W comedy from the 50s)

Comment

• SOS4Prez
                      Dang ol'...yo.
                      • Sep 2009

I highly recommend His Girl Friday and Rope.

Comment

• Buzzman
                        • Oct 2008

I recommended Inception. A timeless classic.

Comment

• Houston
                          Back home
                          • Oct 2008

I'll try and remember some of the shit I've seen. Nothing special, just some random movies I liked.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGKBiMX8KU"]Wait Until Dark - trailer (1967) AUDREY HEPBURN - YouTube[/ame]

One of the rare movies I've seen that kicked off early. No matter how good they end up being, a ton of these movies start off real slow.

One thing that stuck out about this movie was the way it was set up. The entire time the viewers know who the bad guys were and what they wanted, it's up to the main character to figure that out for herself. The main character is in the middle of a mystery, yet it's not at all a mystery movie.

I also like the way 99% of the movie took place in the same room and was continuous. I think it only skipped forward in time once or twice. Made it seem like you were there trapped with the main character.

On the bad side, she was definitely figuring out some things too easy. It also reminded me of Scoobey Doo when Velma or Fred is revealing how they knew who the criminal was and they start talking about clues that the viewers didn't even see. Also the ending was kind of corny.

It was a pretty good suspense film, but the best part of the movie was Hepburns acting, she definitely carried it.

Random fact:

One big thing about this movie was that the theaters were told to lower the lights during certain parts of the movie. When the climax scene happens every light in the movie is off and they also turn them off in the theater, so it's pitch black.

Comment

Working...