X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Champ
    Needs a hobby
    • Oct 2008

Microsoft Listing Reveals New Xbox System and a 300,000 Player Game

Microsoft has listed a job ad for their game studio department. The listing is actually for the company’s next-generation system, which would be the console following the Xbox 360.

The information starts off rather basic. “We want an experienced server developer to help develop our server architecture,” it reads. “We are building an extremely high performance system to extend console games to the server in new ways; creating a completely new set of web services to support dynamic programming information of games and scheduling data; integration with the Xbox LIVE services and Xbox.com infrastructure to deliver an end-to-end architecture with our partners.”

However, the listening goes into even greater detail about what the workers are expected to create and it sounds a little insane. “Some sample requirements will include listing of current events hosted by our server environment, interacting with my schedule and my friend’s schedules to play together, and building a backend capable of hosting a 300,000 player game in real-time with real money on the line (anti-cheating, etc). We want an experienced server developer to spearhead development of our server architecture.”

Yes, you did read that right! Whatever game they are working on, Microsoft plans on having “a 300,000 player game” and having it running in real-time. This sounds so ridiculous, I almost have a hard time believing this classified ad is real. To be honest, I’m not sure if I’ve even see 300,000 people playing a console game at once, in different rooms.

If you decided to apply for the Job, click http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx...&accountno=266. And if you get the gig, make sure you leak every bit of information to us!!

• A Tasty Burgerr
    ▄█▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀
    • Oct 2008

Seems fake

Comment

• red33
      • Feb 2009

poker.yup. saw it on another forum.

Comment

• FedEx227
        Delivers
        • Mar 2009

Saw it on Joystiq too. I think it's real deal.
        VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• red33
          • Feb 2009

Its poker. Think about it. I could link the forum where ive seen this first but i cant access that forum from work.

Comment

• red33
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by eb1920
            It's poker?... Am I behind the times in e-lingo or something?
            no. poker is a huge industry online. Think about it. Online poker has a lot of similarities to videogames, especially multiplayer ones. XBOX already has a userbase. Also what can be for real money in real time? COD for dollars? Only thing is online poker is illegal but they can circumvent this by not handing out money but prizes like 1 VS 100 games and stuff. Maybe the deal would be buy microsoft points, enter tounraments and win more points, games, systems, or other deals.

Comment

• Steel Mamba
              Nasty
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by red33
              no. poker is a huge industry online. Think about it. Online poker has a lot of similarities to videogames, especially multiplayer ones. XBOX already has a userbase. Also what can be for real money in real time? COD for dollars? Only thing is online poker is illegal but they can circumvent this by not handing out money but prizes like 1 VS 100 games and stuff. Maybe the deal would be buy microsoft points, enter tounraments and win more points, games, systems, or other deals.
              That would be illegal if they're gambling with real money.

Comment

• red33
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Steel Mamba
                That would be illegal if they're gambling with real money.
                yea but if they do a deal where you buy microsfot points and use the points to enter tournies then this might be way to bypass tht.

There are US legal poker clubs right now but you pay a monthly fee and play as much as you want.

Comment

Working...