Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KINGOFOOTBALL
    • Feb 2009

Project Natal = MS new console ??

Earlier this week gaming blog Kotaku quoted Microsoft's Shane Kim as saying that the launch of Natal, Microsoft's new controller-free motion control technology, would be as big as the launch of a console. Not surprising. That's because Natal is going to be a new console.

On this week's Listen Up podcast we discussed Natal, and David Ellis and I talked about what we've been hearing regarding the new technology -- and how it's actually the cornerstone of Microsoft's next evolution of the Xbox. Microsoft will not only release Natal as an add-on for the Xbox 360, it will come standard with the next Xbox console.

Yes, there will be a new Xbox console next fall.

However, the new console won't just be an Xbox 360 with a camera, though -- we've heard it will be considered a new platform and carry a new name (Xbox Natal?). It's not clear what sort of upgrades we might see, but some have suggested it will be an slight upgrade of the current Xbox 360 technology. Current Xbox 360 games would be playable on it, but future games would be able to take advantage of the added muscle. Similar to what we see in the PC space, games played on the more advanced Xbox would look or perform better, but publishers will still be able to support owners of both systems. Some developers have complained that they've already maxed out the Xbox 360; perhaps this will give them room to expand.

Make no mistake, we wouldn't be talking about the sort of hardware leap we've seen with Xbox (or most other) platforms in the past, and we're not talking about Microsoft ending one console cycle and starting another. We're talking about an evolution of the Xbox 360; similar hardware but upgraded, repackaged, and rebranded. It's actually not that unlike what Nintendo did with the Wii, where it essentially took the GameCube hardware, stuck in motion controls, and successfully relaunched it. The new Xbox console is said to be aimed directly at a mainstream audience -- and will launch before Nintendo is able to release its Wii HD.

What's interesting is that Nintendo and Microsoft are on a course to deliver very similar products yet are coming at them from opposite directions. Microsoft currently has the HD hardware and will in the future introduce motion controls, while Nintendo has motion controls and will in the future introduce HD hardware. Sony's PS3 will also be providing motion controls next year, though as a peripheral for its EyeToy camera.

As John Davison pointed out on the podcast, the Wii was the first console to do this, but it's likely that all future hardware will be more iterative than substantive. The distinction between new consoles will become far less marked -- similar to what we've seen in the handheld space, such as with the transitions from the Game Boy to the Game Boy Advance, the DS to the DSi, or the PSP to the PSP Go.

So when would we first hear about this new Xbox console? Our sources point to next year's Game Developer's Conference as the target for its unveiling and Fall 2010 as the target for release.
    Best reason to have a license.
  • Yawkey Way
    Free World Leader
    • Oct 2008

so, MS is releasing a "filler console" next year, but is still working with the 720 as well?

Comment

• FedEx227
      Delivers
      • Mar 2009

All they mean through that article is that it's going to be released and marketed as a new console, or there will be a newer Xbox 360 bundled with the Natal and advertised as a completely different console.

Not a whole new console by any teams.
      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• stevsta
        ¿Que?
        • Oct 2008

its a camera that you plug into the 360 there marketing as a console for those who have never played games before
        RIP

Comment

• mgoblue2290
          Posts too much
          • Feb 2009

This motion senser stuff is really cool but I don't want to play all my games that way. I like just using a control and sitting on the couch.

If MS actually decided this was their next console and they wouldn't be releasing another one till like 2015, I'd definitely move right on over to the Playstation bandwagon.
          Last edited by mgoblue2290; 06-13-2009, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• celtsxpatsxsox
            Redsox
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by mgoblue2290
            This motion senser stuff is really cool but I don't want to play all my games that way. I like just using a control and sitting on the couch.

If MS actually decided this was their next console and they wouldn't be releasing another one till like 2015, I'd definitely move right on over to the Playstation bandwagon.
            pretty sure they wouldnt make every game play like that. I think once Natal comes out certain games will have a mode where you can use the natal feature.

Comment

• JBauerisGod
              ...is amazing.
              • Feb 2009

Maybe Xbox Natal or whatever hell the name will be will simply have an included Blu Ray drive? I could see that, but I don't see them upgrading the graphics card or any integral part of the system.

Comment

• MmmmBeeeeer
                PTFO
                • Mar 2009

Microsoft using Sony's technology? Don't hold your breath...

Comment

• stevsta
                  ¿Que?
                  • Oct 2008

yeah microsoft already said the bluraydrive isnt going to the xbox in the immediate future
                  RIP

Comment

• Twigg4075
                    Kindergarten Cop
                    • Feb 2009

I just read an article with one of the Xbox big wigs. He said something to the effect of "Could you imagine being able to play Halo and have the camera track your actual head movements? You could actually look right and your character would look right."

Is this fucking guy serious? Yeah, because if I looked right I wouldn't be completely looking away from the tv.

Comment

• The Messenger
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                      I just read an article with one of the Xbox big wigs. He said something to the effect of "Could you imagine being able to play Halo and have the camera track your actual head movements? You could actually look right and your character would look right."

Is this fucking guy serious? Yeah, because if I looked right I wouldn't be completely looking away from the tv.
                      I hope they create a 360 TV if that's the case and package it with the Natal. It should be about an 8 foot tall projection screen that's wrapped in a circle where the player can sit in the middle. I'm personally requesting a door for mine.

Click the banner above or below to visit the greatest chises on Earth!

Comment

• leaffan
                        Colton Orr Fan
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075

Its all about the tea bagging.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                          Posts too much
                          • Feb 2009

LOL. I can only imagine all the crazy and nasty stuff people would make their characters do with Natal.

I think this is some really stupid shit, I'd feel like an asshole pretending to shoot a gun in my living room. I realize a lot of people who play games don't get much excersise, but I'll pass on making fake basketball shots in NBA Live. I'd rather do that outside.

Comment

• MmmmBeeeeer
                            PTFO
                            • Mar 2009

I agree with all of the posts in this thread. The Wii hit a gold mine, but MS and Sony trying to do the same is full of fail imo...

Besides, the only games worth playing on the Wii are Wii Sports, TW10, and the new Wii Sports Resort (haven't played it but I'm sure its good)

Comment

• Twigg4075
                              Kindergarten Cop
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by leaffan
                              Its all about the tea bagging.
                              LMAO. Could you imagine the YouTube videos?

Comment

Working...