Madden 10 Demo Impressions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Messenger
    • Nov 2008

I like the game so far. Pretty pumped for Madden for a change.

I like the slowed down gameplay a lot more. Yes, football is fast in real life, but on a video game all you get with that fast shit is herky jerky moves that make every animation look like garbage. If every player's speed is decreased, and the ball speed is decreased as well, I see no problem with a slower pace. It's not like just the ball carrier slows down or something, it's everything in the game (well except the clock, but now you could probably play 10 minutes quarters or something and have realistic scoring).

I like the Pro-Tak system. I could do without the button mashing for fumbles. It's basically a flip of the coin when a fumble occurs in real life and it should just be random like that on the game, instead of someone practicing their button masher skills until they can win every pile up. Glad you can turn that off in the real game.

I like the stadiums, the graphics, and the presentation a lot more than Madden 09. The players to watch before the game and stuff will add a lot more feel to Dynasty that's been lost over the years.

I've never had a problem with the running game. If anything, running on Madden has always seemed way too easy. Most people who I hear complaining about they can't run are people like my friends, and I will sit their and tell them to accelerate through the hole and not up to the hole, but they never get it.

I've seen some good stuff from the demo so far. CPU is actually rushing the ball a lot more for a change. I love that defensive backs can actually cover in this game. I like the sailed balls that happen about once a drive and there's more penalties. I'm especially loving the fact that doing the whole Vick shit with your quarterback doesn't work very effectively now. You know where people hike the ball and immediately take off to one of the sidelines and run around waiting for a receiver to get open then throw a perfect pass while mid-sprint.

The demo gets an 8.75/10 for me.
    Last edited by The Messenger; 07-23-2009, 11:24 PM.

Click the banner above or below to visit the greatest chises on Earth!

Comment

• Tengo Juego
      Posts a lot
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Sven Draconian
      The irony is that I'm actually pretty impressed with pulling lineman for once. They pulling guard on the "Power O" actually turns up field when he see's a crack. He doesn't go way off tackle when there's a gaping hole right past the center, nice change.

And the sweep blocking is much improved. The lead puller isn't warping into the already-blocked defensive ends, and they are turning upfield quicker. Basically, they're staying out of my f*cking way for once.

The regular blocking logic is still iffy. Nobody is blocking the 3-4 DE way too often, which makes me think there's some type of glitch. The Power-O play is especially bad for this, but I'm seeing it on ISO/dive too. The guard release to one backer, the tackle release's to another and the end is standing their untouched. It's only on certain alignments though (Maybe I'll narrow it down and make something constructive out of this babble),. My initial guess is that both guard and tackle are getting LB's stacking on them and "passing" the lineman to each other because of it. That, or since they're using BoB blocking that end is lining up in a gap so neither of them see him as their "big".

Thats what I'm noticing, that end comes in just about every other time licking his chops. I've had the end come in and disrupt or end the play before it even starts. Not quite as bad as it is in NCAA, but still happens.

Comment

• RosettaStoned
        Throbbing Tebowner
        • Oct 2008

I hope that the normal speed setting is the default setting dave is talking about. Last year's madden was too fucking fast imo. 5% slower would be perfect.
        So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• adembroski
          All-Inclusive!
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by RosettaStoned
          I hope that the normal speed setting is the default setting dave is talking about. Last year's madden was too fucking fast imo. 5% slower would be perfect.
          Are you saying the demo speed is too fast for your taste?!?!

Default online is slightly faster than the demo.
          S.P.Q.A.

Comment

• The Messenger
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by adembroski
            Are you saying the demo speed is too fast for your taste?!?!

Default online is slightly faster than the demo.
            I believe what he was saying is that the speed last year was too fast, and 5% less than last year's speed would be perfect, which would be the normal speed setting on Madden 10 and the default speed setting for online play.

Click the banner above or below to visit the greatest chises on Earth!

Comment

• adembroski
              All-Inclusive!
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Sven Draconian
              The irony is that I'm actually pretty impressed with pulling lineman for once. They pulling guard on the "Power O" actually turns up field when he see's a crack. He doesn't go way off tackle when there's a gaping hole right past the center, nice change.
              Says someone who knows a thing or two about it... I wish you and Lbz were the ones making these videos. Either way, LBz and I are putting together some specifics on blocking, both offensively and defensively. Anything you'd like to add would be appreciated... the fact that we've got emails of half the 5th floor in Maitland ensures your thoughts will get to the right places. Any input you've got would help, you know this stuff better than I.

And the sweep blocking is much improved. The lead puller isn't warping into the already-blocked defensive ends, and they are turning upfield quicker. Basically, they're staying out of my f*cking way for once.

The regular blocking logic is still iffy. Nobody is blocking the 3-4 DE way too often, which makes me think there's some type of glitch. The Power-O play is especially bad for this, but I'm seeing it on ISO/dive too. The guard release to one backer, the tackle release's to another and the end is standing their untouched. It's only on certain alignments though (Maybe I'll narrow it down and make something constructive out of this babble),. My initial guess is that both guard and tackle are getting LB's stacking on them and "passing" the lineman to each other because of it. That, or since they're using BoB blocking that end is lining up in a gap so neither of them see him as their "big".
              Bob is the basis of their pass blocking... run blocking seems more of a zone base. I don't believe they really intended to get it implemented 100% true to life... they took short cuts to make it work. Hopefully it was a one year 'make it better' approach to be built on in the future. Definitely something I'll bring up to Ian if you get me more info. Maybe patchable.

As I said before, LBz and I are going to ride Ian's ass on this stuff all year. Lbz is going to concentrate on defense. I'm looking for more true to life protection schemes... BOB really isn't used as much in the NFL as it once was, but half slide is all over the place, and in Madden, you've either got this zone/BOB hybrid and full slide to chose from (to be honest, I don't know any team at any level that uses that for anything but moving the pocket unless they've got the greatest blocking back in the world to seal off the back side).

I've got some diagrams I've done up in 'shop, 7 man split back, 7 man weak flow, 22, 322, 2 jet, split flow, 8 man weak flow so far. Each against 6 fronts (at some point, they're just gonna have to stop trying to program brains and give them assignments based on the front they're facing, same thing for gap control on the other side of the ball- my worry is, how much does this cut into the playbook memory budget?).

One of LBz big things is making each "play" two plays; run assignments and pass assignments. As it is, a player in zone will sort of float over the top of a run play while a player in man will attack it.

PS: any info you've got directly related to how linemen deal with stunts would be helpful. Lbz asked me about this, and I was kind of left slackjawed. At my school, it was purely a matter of communication between linemen, and I never worked with the line much. I assume the NFL has far more technical ways of dealing with it, and if you're up on that stuff, I'd love to hear about it.
              Last edited by adembroski; 07-24-2009, 12:29 AM.
              S.P.Q.A.

Comment

• GridironWarrior
                Steelers fan
                • Apr 2009

I still can't run the ball lol. Man I can't wait to play some more this weekend.

Comment

• Bomberooski
                  #GoHawks
                  • Feb 2009

Didn't have the code for 5 min demo but played the 1 min version. I love Madden
                  I give rep not thanks
                  My Audio Blog (Whoring)

Comment

• red33
                    • Feb 2009

game too easy on allpro.

Comment

• MVP1991
                      The Man
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by red33
                      game too easy on allpro.
                      Too difficult on All Madden

The Golden Turducken
                      Season 1: 11-5 (Super Bowl Champion)
                      Season 2: 12-4 (NFC West Champion)

Season 3: 9-4

Comment

• Hitman
                        Fist Pumpin to the Oldies
                        • Jun 2009

just so i'm sure i don't have a bug.. there isn't supposed to be any commentary, right?

Comment

• dave
                          Go the fuck outside
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by HiTMaN666
                          just so i'm sure i don't have a bug.. there isn't supposed to be any commentary, right?
                          No bug. They leave commentary out of demos to keep the download size easonable.

ON TOPIC: No Gamestop demo = no demo for Dave.
                          My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Hitman
                            Fist Pumpin to the Oldies
                            • Jun 2009

Thanks Dave..

So... some impressions:

Gameplay feels alot like last-gen with some tweaks, which I like a lot...

The WRs run better routes and the blocking is pretty nice on run plays.. For some reason I just can't bring myself to run that wildcat garbage.. I hate you Miami...

I'm not sure that I'm going to like the auto drop backs but it does make the game more realistic.. I did tend to roll out a bit though with Gonzo running the out routes etc.. It'll take some getting used to but that's what a new Madden game should have.. things you need to get used to instead of the same rehashed game with a minor tweak here or there..

I like the new little presentation tweaks that we've all seen already.. QB on the sideline on the phone, flyover at the beginning of the game etc.. Very nice touches..

The hit stick doesn't seem to be too overpowered which is one thing I'm happy has changed considering this game seems like they gave a graphical facelift to last-gen Madden.. The screen shake may get a little annoying though..

I love the new catch animations.. I made some pretty nice user catches on the sidelines and the new fade route is a Godsend.. the QB actually takes a one step drop and you can put an arc on the ball.. I've been dying for a Madden game to have that since it went 3d..

I saw a couple of MLB interceptions but they weren't like the last-gen superjumping linebacker picks.. Warner put the ball out flat and impaled Timmons with one of them (he'd have to be dead not to catch it) and the other was a really nice one handed stab at the goal line on a ball thrown short..

Overall I like the direction the game is going.. The last couple of years it seemed like robo-football with no life whatsoever and it just wasn't fun to play.. The two games I played so far with the demo (one with Arizona where I lost on a horrible pick to Polomalu and the other with Pitt which was a pretty dominant win 24-7), I've had a blast..

Last thought and I'm done until the game drops.. I made some really good plays that I was excited about and some really really bad plays that disgusted me.. The main difference between the feeling of disgust with this game and the last two is that the bad plays weren't because the engine sucked, they were because *I* made a bad throw or *I* missed a tackle..

Have fun folks.. Hope to see you online..

Comment

• Boss AZ
                              Hi Haters
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by red33
                              game too easy on allpro.
                              Yes All-Pro is still too easy. Bumped it to AM after the Cards won there 6th SB.

CPU still calls a timeout at 1:01

QBs throw way too often while getting taken down.

Fitz is still a beast.

Comment

• red33
                                • Feb 2009

just beat Pitt on all madden 14-6.

one thing i noticed is tht cpu breaks a shtload of tackles. its almost like they are trying to force gang tackling by making it really hard to take a guy down without 2-3 players.

willie parker needs like 5 guys at once to take him down. If its 1-2 players forget about it.
                                Last edited by red33; 07-24-2009, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Working...