EA only offering Online Franchise to those who buy the game?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoubleDeuce
    Spellin' n' shit
    • Feb 2009

EA shittin on people again. I wasn't gonna buy it because I don't have the money. But I WAS gonna play online franchise. Fuck my life

Comment

• calgaryballer
      Tiote!
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by dave
      That's how it works ... and I have no issue with that. EA just wants to make some money on used games.
      If I developed games, I'd be pissed too if they were sold second-hand and I didn't get a cut.
      I know that's an unpopular opinion, but EA is using its servers which cost money. Used game players should pay their share of that cost IMO.
      It's called the right of first sale Dave. Once the game has been purchased by me, I am legally allowed to do what I want with my copy. To try and double dip on used game sales is pathetic as they are essentially forcing me to sell/purchase an incomplete game
      Last edited by calgaryballer; 07-30-2009, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• DSpydr84
        I need a sub
        • Oct 2008

I don't know why everyone says this is a dumb move by EA. If I was a video game company, I'd hate things like GameFly and all the rental places too. This is brilliant in my opinion.

Besides, anyone renting the game to try it out isn't gonna join an online franchise anyway. This really only hurts the people who buy it used (which it may not even hurt them, we don't know yet), and the GameFly guys (the crowd EA is probably "fighting" against). Everyone else is fine.

Comment

• Herm
          Boomshakalaka
          • Oct 2008

BUT what i want to know is it like teambuilder where it comes with a certain number of slots and if you want to join more leagues you have to buy another credit on PSN/Live marketplace for more?

Comment

• Herm
            Boomshakalaka
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Jags61Fan
            it also keeps the people who copy the game from playing without paying something if they want online franchises....
            what kind of douchebag in Tampa would play illegal games?

I WISH someone had a hack for the ps3 so i could get games from the net, 360 ftw in that respect
            Last edited by Herm; 07-30-2009, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Sven Draconian
              Not a Scandanavian
              • Feb 2009

I don't think EA is doing anything wrong here (I know, I think that sounds weird too), depending how much the code costs to purchase on XBL. Looking at Teambuilder for example, it is wrong for somebody to buy used/steal/pirate ect.. a game and use the EA servers to build unlimited teams when EA never saw a dime for that sale. It's no different for Online Franchise, why should people be able to trade the disk, steal ect.. the game and run an online franchise if EA doesn't get money from them? Server maitenence isn't free and that information is continually stored. Selling the disk doesn't end the space you occupy on their server.

Lets look at it this way:
              Guy buys the game used, immediately creates 12 teambuilder teams and stores them on the server.

Who's job is it to maintain that server space? Why should EA pay for to keep up that server when the person using it never paid EA?

Same with Online Franchise. Lets say 32 people buy the game used/steal it or whatever and run a franchise. Who is paying to keep those franchise files (and all the CPU interraction) stored? Nobody in that group ever paid EA, so why should EA maintain the server for those people?

Comment

• mcstl25
                M-Castle
                • Feb 2009

Why is this even a big deal? Maybe I'm just ld and clueless, but don't most of us buy the game anyway? (ps3 user here)

Comment

• MvP
                  a member of vsn
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by DSpydr84
                  I don't know why everyone says this is a dumb move by EA. If I was a video game company, I'd hate things like GameFly and all the rental places too. This is brilliant in my opinion.
                  Exactly what I was going to say.

Comment

• Joey P
                    Smells like sex in here
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Ratty Ratzlaff
                    Who rents games anymore?
                    Um, gamers who play more than the annual sports titles.

Comment

• MrBill
                      Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
                      • Feb 2009

If EA gives us a great version of Madden this year, then I will be happy to buy new copies of the game for the PS3 and 360. If it is shit year, then I would typically wait and buy it used or rent for the console that I am not using for my primary league and will be pissed that they shook me down...

Comment

• bringbackjimmy
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by GilbertArenas0
                        EA shittin on people again. I wasn't gonna buy it because I don't have the money. But I WAS gonna play online franchise. Fuck my life
                        exactly why EA is doing this. why should EA spend money on somebody thats not? people that are bitching about spending money on it to get it used or get more slots wait and see how much it actually cost. It will probably be like 5 bucks like that 2k10 combine mode. People that buy the game will probably get 4 slots like NCAA..

Comment

• Irish
                          do you see my jesus chain
                          • Oct 2008

Wow EA is trying to make more money by leaving the newest most important feature out of the game? I never saw this coming...

Comment

• Point Blank
                            Needs a hobby
                            • Oct 2008

That's smart marketing imo.

Comment

• Joey P
                              Smells like sex in here
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by houtz
                              Really? Because I play other games to and I don't rent shit.

Maybe you should've said "Cheap Gamers who play more than the annual sports titles" or " Gamers who like to try a game before they buy it".
                              LOL...cheap gamers.

Comment

• Herm
                                Boomshakalaka
                                • Oct 2008

I gave away my teambuilder codes for NCAA because i had no use for it, im sure there will be people giving away their OF codes because they just play offline franchise as well.

Comment

Working...