X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FirstTimer
    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Sell me on NHL10

I'm going to post the same thing in the FIFA forum, NHL Forum, and NCAA Forum.

Christmas is coming up and my future mother in law is asking me for gift ideas...so I'm going to ask her to get me a game. I have it narrowed down to FIFA10, NHL10, or NCAA Football10.

I'm a strictly franchise guy. I never play online or against others so I'm looking for a realistic sim experience out of the game. From on the field/ice/pitch to the bones of a dynasty or franchise mode.

I was hoping some guys here could come in and give me the pros and cons of each based upon this so I could make a good choice as to what game to get. Talk about gameplay, the franchise stuff, upsides and downsides of the game, and any information on patches...and overall if the game is worth even asking for.....

Ok..go....Sell me on NHL10.
  • dave
    Go the fuck outside
    • Oct 2008

All are solid offerings, but I'd put FIFA and NHL a big step ahead of NCAA.

You have to ask yourself - what sport do you prefer? Soccer or hockey.
    My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• FirstTimer
      Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by dave
      All are solid offerings, but I'd put FIFA and NHL a big step ahead of NCAA.

You have to ask yourself - what sport do you prefer? Soccer or hockey.
      Honestly I'm about even on the two. That's kind of why I'm looking for some in depth stuff to sway me one way or the other.

I haven't bought a football game in years and I keep hearing horror stories about NCAA10 but I'm at least intrigued by it. Thanks for the feedback though..Hopefully more keep coming.

Comment

• Ravin
        Dishing the Gino's
        • Feb 2009

NHL series has been the best sports game series in the last couple of years. So that should speak volumn. The game play has improved so much that it is more sim then probably any other sports game. Granted I don't play any other game, but others will probably tell you this as well.

As for franchise, well there is the Be a GM mode this year which has more indepth trading, drafting and GM options. It has had some issues and I don't know if it has been fixed yet, but it is still very in depth.

Game play all aside, because honestly, it has been talked to death in this thread and you can probably just find videos on youtube if you want to see the game and what it looks like, but the biggest thing I will point out is that the NHL season is long. 82 games, which can make it difficult to get through a franchise. I hardly ever complete them because I get distracted by other game play, but I play online and you said you don't. So you may easily get through the NHL seasons no problem. If you are a franchise report person, that is where the issue comes because the season is so long. And the NHL section for them isn't huge.

So that is a quick jist. It's the sports game of the year by far.
        All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• wr50l
          Glen & CJ are secret Huns
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jaguar8311
          Get Fifa, NHL is the same s**t every year. Glitches, robo-goalies etc.
          Glitches are not such a killer this year. Wraparound hardly works, curve shot it gone, there's a new wrap wrist shot which works but is not a highly successful glitch like those of years past. Goalies in general are downright solid this year and some may even say too good. All of your whining is irrelevant anyway because Firsttimer doesn't care to play the game online where all the glitches are.

Offline for me has been better this year Although strictly a franchise guy you say, you might find BAP to be more fun than you expect. Regardless the Be a GM mode is quite good for a first time attempt and aside from some annoying trade logic there aren't too many problems, certainly not any bugs I can think of in the mode. CPU teams don't always put out the best line but you'd have to be a real curmudgeon like me to worry about that.

Gameplay wise NHL is best at the lower levels. This is a problem for me but as you are I'm assuming an NHL game newbie you should be able to find good competition on one of those levels for a long time. There's a load of sliders and EA regularly puts out a new "tuner set" which I guess comprises of sliders which they have that we don't. Game play is highly customisable and crucially there are no stupid fucking bugs that you would get in games such as Madden.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

Both are really good game...bro, its a toss up...the details have been discussed over and over...since you a franchise guy like me...NHL is as indepth as it comes...although, there are some things, like trade logic that make you go "hm"...

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              Highwayman
              • Feb 2009

Also, NCAA isn't bad...but, I am sure you know what you are going to get with the game.

It is rather boring and gameplay is...well...gameplay...bunch of flaws, but playable.

Dynasty is dynasty...its eh, hasn't really changed in years.

Comment

• leaffan
                Colton Orr Fan
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Larry
                Both are really good game...bro, its a toss up...the details have been discussed over and over...since you a franchise guy like me...NHL is as indepth as it comes...although, there are some things, like trade logic that make you go "hm"...
                It makes me go "wtf are these gm's on".

I'm hoping they tweak it more in the upcoming patch.

There's also a massive problem of the league becoming flooded with good players by year 10 or so and the free agents list has all stars sitting on it.

I think the problem is everyone progresses and there are rarely any busts.

I will say though I am getting near the end of my leafs franchise and I have a player who has been avg. 60 goals a year. I'll be interested to see what kind of numbers he will have by the end. I started him really late though.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

While Be a GM needs some work, it is definitely the prototype for what every "franchise" mode should be...Madden has taken some steps in that department, but it still needs work in regards to depth of the actual franchise.

Be a GM is incredibly deep.

Comment

• leaffan
                    Colton Orr Fan
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Larry
                    While Be a GM needs some work, it is definitely the prototype for what every "franchise" mode should be...Madden has taken some steps in that department, but it still needs work in regards to depth of the actual franchise.

Be a GM is incredibly deep.
                    Yeah I really have enjoyed it. There are some really minor things I think they need to fix in nhl11 but it can be something crazy good in the next coming years.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by leaffan
                      Yeah I really have enjoyed it. There are some really minor things I think they need to fix in nhl11 but it can be something crazy good in the next coming years.
                      It is just so deep and detailed.

There are a number of quips, but I've learned not to expect absolute perfection in these types of games.

It actually gives you incentive to keep playing a franchise...games like NCAA and Madden and whatnot just get boring (Madden has started to make strides in Franchise, but needs to get more detailed with the off-season aspect, c'mon, no "restricted" FA? Garbo)...

I do like it and I like the idea that as a GM it gives you a shit load of incentives and goals to reach, and it still gives you the ability to play the games...(although, I'd like to see an incorporation of something like Madden's "weekly show" type of thing...gives you a feeling you are immersed in the franchise, despite its redundancy...the old College Hoops 2K games had the pre-season and NCAA Tourney show which was awesome and added).

But, when it comes down to the detail...NHL took the idea for this great detail in franchise from the 2K series, which was a franchise players game a few years ago...

Comment

• killgod
                        OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                        • Oct 2008

i just got back into NHL last night....started a playoff series with a random guess to what i think the brackets will be.

i took the #6 senators playing the sabres...lost 3-2 in OT. had a ridiculous wicked game

8 min periods, superstar/hardcore, a couple small slider tweaks. it was so ridiculously fun and realisitic. if it ends up being awesome through the whole thing i'll start up a GM mode and fiend off that till nhl 11.

on a side note.....NHL 2K series was reportedly left off Take Two's financial report next year...I think it's finished.

Comment

Working...