X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Virix
    I see you
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by kyhadley
    so you don't have to connect it to your tv/monitor at all, it can just go straight from the ps3 to the headset?
    Correct. Its digital, so you just go right from the system (either PS3 or 360) to the decoder box.

BTW, if you are considering the 720s, my suggestion would be to spend the extra $30 for the AX Pros. They are the best headphones I have ever used, and Ive tried a ton.
    Last edited by Virix; 12-30-2009, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• kyhadley
      Carefree
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Virix
      Correct. Its digital, so you just go right from the system (either PS3 or 360) to the decoder box.

BTW, if you are considering the 720s, my suggestion would be to spend the extra $30 for the AX Pros. They are the best headphones I have ever used, and Ive tried a ton.
      just saw your edit, and yeah I had figured that as well. is the setup the same?

Comment

• Virix
        I see you
        • Nov 2008

just saw your edit, and yeah I had figured that as well. is the setup the same?
        Yeah, both sets connect the same way.

Comment

• Bomberooski
          #GoHawks
          • Feb 2009

I love my Sony headset. I just never use it.
          I give rep not thanks
          My Audio Blog (Whoring)

Comment

• kyhadley
            Carefree
            • Oct 2008

Yeah, both sets connect the same way.
            I'm reading that frequently the mic breaks after a month or so of usage...

Comment

• Virix
              I see you
              • Nov 2008

There is more than one revision of the AX Pro, and the mic and the hot decoder box have been addressed. Ive had mine for a few months and have zero issues.

Comment

• JayDizzle
                Let's Go All The Way...
                • Nov 2008

Caught a headset at a local Dollar Store for $10 but I suspect that it'll die in like a day or two so...

Of course my personal with Bluetooth so far is shit seeing as my $40 MadCatz headset just doesn't want to work anymore.

Comment

• kyhadley
                  Carefree
                  • Oct 2008

There is more than one revision of the AX Pro, and the mic and the hot decoder box have been addressed. Ive had mine for a few months and have zero issues.
                  I can't find the AX Pros anywhere for less than $170. They're listed at best buy for $153, but they don't actually have them. I'd have to pay for shipping from where I got them too.

They do have the 720s though for $117, should I just go with those? Will I really notice a difference?
                  Last edited by kyhadley; 01-01-2010, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• kyhadley
                    Carefree
                    • Oct 2008

I can't find the AX Pros anywhere for less than $170. They're listed at best buy for $153, but they don't actually have them. I'd have to pay for shipping from where I got them too.

They do have the 720s though for $117, should I just go with those? Will I really notice a difference?
                    Virix?

Comment

• Virix
                      I see you
                      • Nov 2008

Virix?
                      Sorry, I didnt see this. The AX Pros have 4 speakers in each ear, including an actual subwoofer. They are a pretty big upgrade over the 720s imo, although I didnt keep my 720s for very long. Once I saw that I could get the AX Pros for $30 more, I returned them.

That said, I thought the 720s sounded pretty good. Im not sure if they have had the same revisions that the AX Pros did though. The decoder box for the 720s felt kind of cheap.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                        Kindergarten Cop
                        • Feb 2009

You connect the spdif (digital optical) cable from the PS3 to the decoder box that comes with the headset. The headphones then plug into the decoder box (the connector does look like S-video though)
                        What if you aren't using an optical cable, only HDMI?

And how does it work if you are using component? My wife's 360 is an older one without HDMI.

I'm checking the AX Pro's out now, for my wife. They look to be like $140?

Comment

• kyhadley
                          Carefree
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Twigg4075

And how does it work if you are using component? My wife's 360 is an older one without HDMI.

I ended up getting the 360s cause I couldn't find the Pros anywhere less than 170ish. Needless to say, they are fantastic, and without having tried the Pros, I'm not sure how much better it could get.

If comes with an optical cable, and isn't connected to the video settings at all, so you can use whatever with it.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                            Kindergarten Cop
                            • Feb 2009

Sweet, thanks.

Comment

• Virix
                              I see you
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Twigg4075

Just use the digital cable anyway. I used HDMI to connect to my HT receiver, but I use the optical cable for the headset. The 360 can output to both at the same time, but when using the ps3 you just go into the menu and change the output to match what you are trying to use.

For the system with only component, just plug the digital cable into the decoder box and leave it. It will still send sound through the component cables like normal.

There is a big step up from the 360s to the 720s to the Pros, but im a huge audio guy so I notice things others may not notice. The depth of the sound is so much better, as well as the lows (since the pros have actual subwoofers in each ear). I got my pros for $159 shipped from newegg, but it was a sale price.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                                Kindergarten Cop
                                • Feb 2009

Shop Tritton Technologies AX 720 Gaming Audio System for Xbox, PS3 and Mac/Windows at Best Buy. Find low everyday prices and buy online for delivery or in-store pick-up. Price Match Guarantee.

I know it's only one site (Best Buy) but the 720's have a much better customer rating.

Comment

Working...