X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Misogi
    :misogi:
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Twigg4075
    Of course he can do whatever he wants. But when people like him support ridiculous practices like that, companies like Capcom continue those practices. Then other companies try the same bullshit and then ALL gamers suffer, not just the ones that support the idiotic practices.

So yeah, I'm on my high horse. It's called general fucking logic!

Did you read my previous posts? That's what I was doing. I blame people like Misogi for supporting such terrible practices.
    Blame me, baby. I'd still have a game that gets frequently updated to keep it fresh over a span of 2-3 years before the new game is out.

umm, your logic that is "general", and is given by people who are also "general" yet are completely devoid of the community at hand just isn't going to cut it. "Hey, stop spending your money on things you enjoy before they end up bleeding into things that I care about!" You can cry all you want when Madden comes out with a "Midseason Patch" for 29.99. For the record, Street Fighter 2 had about 4-5 different iterations to it, and that started in about 1991. Why hasn't more companies taken this approach since then?

Supporting practices that piss twigg off? I'm all for it. I might buy a couple copies of that RE 3DS game while I'm at it. Hopefully that bleeds over too! /sarcasm

Sidenote: I'm not a "capcom fanboy", but please, don't go attacking entire communities because you disagree with a supplier of it, especially when you know so little about it..
    * Chrispy logs into KGs account to see what misogi wrote* [05:53 PM]

Comment

• JayDizzle
      Let's Go All The Way...
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Saluki
      I refuse to buy until they make Dan Hibiki a playable character

You're not a man unless you can beat the game with Dan.

Comment

• SethMode
        Master of Mysticism
        • Feb 2009

Of course he can do whatever he wants. But when people like him support ridiculous practices like that, companies like Capcom continue those practices. Then other companies try the same bullshit and then ALL gamers suffer, not just the ones that support the idiotic practices.

So yeah, I'm on my high horse. It's called general fucking logic!
        But you don't know what you're talking about. The fighting game community is different than pretty much any gaming community anywhere. You're applying your own rules for this shit. Fighting games have had re-releases since they were created, and they have support because tournament players need to play newer renditions to be prepared for future tournaments. It literally has never had ANY effect on the rest of gamers. Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, sports games outside of fighting games? Sure, to a degree. But again, fighting games will never effect this because it's just a different community. You aren't getting remakes of RE because fighting games get remade and retooled. You sound like a douche because you act all judgemental and ride your high horse while being fucking clueless about what you're talking about.

Comment

• Twigg4075
          Kindergarten Cop
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
          But you don't know what you're talking about. The fighting game community is different than pretty much any gaming community anywhere. You're applying your own rules for this shit. Fighting games have had re-releases since they were created, and they have support because tournament players need to play newer renditions to be prepared for future tournaments. It literally has never had ANY effect on the rest of gamers. Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, sports games outside of fighting games? Sure, to a degree. But again, fighting games will never effect this because it's just a different community. You aren't getting remakes of RE because fighting games get remade and retooled. You sound like a douche because you act all judgemental and ride your high horse while being fucking clueless about what you're talking about.
          But it isn't juist the fighting games. It's everything about Capcom. Charging for "DLC' that is really on the disc. Releasing a game that only has one save file. The fighting game revisions are just one aspect of their 'bend you over and fuck you in the ass' business model.

And please act like I'm the only one that feels this way. Most of the professional games "journalists" feel that they small tweaks and updates are complete bullshit. If you want to update a game, fine. That is awesome. I'm all for that. Fix balancing issues, add a few more characters, etc. That's great. But that should be $10. Not a fucking $40 retail product. And the problem is that it seems that sometimes they offer the option of both, although I believe the "updates" are usually $15-20 for the download, but the blind fanboys would rather plunk down another $40 instead. It sets a terrible precedence.

And like I said, this is not much different than CoD $15 map packs. Can you honestly say there isn't anything wrong with that either? Both the Capcom updates and the CoD map packs "update" the game and prolong the experience, right? But that shit was going on for AGES on PC for fucking free, but now I guess it's ok? Really?

When I have to pay $60 for one level of a game and $20 for each additional level I'll know who to thank.

And for fucks sake, I don't have to know shit about the "fighting game culture". I'm not talking about that. I'm talkinga bout the business aspect and the rampant fanboyism that supports it. I think any group that can be that close knit and show that level of enthusiasm for the genre is awesome. But that doesn't mean they have to suck every last ounce of come out of the respective developers dick. It's like watching a fucking heroin junkie. "I don't care what I have to do man. $10, $15, hell $50. I'll pay it Mr. Dealer (Capcom), just give me the goods."

Comment

• Misogi
            • Oct 2008

But it isn't juist the fighting games. It's everything about Capcom. Charging for "DLC' that is really on the disc. Releasing a game that only has one save file. The fighting game revisions are just one aspect of their 'bend you over and fuck you in the ass' business model.

And please act like I'm the only one that feels this way. Most of the professional games "journalists" feel that they small tweaks and updates are complete bullshit. If you want to update a game, fine. That is awesome. I'm all for that. Fix balancing issues, add a few more characters, etc. That's great. But that should be $10. Not a fucking $40 retail product. And the problem is that it seems that sometimes they offer the option of both, although I believe the "updates" are usually $15-20 for the download, but the blind fanboys would rather plunk down another $40 instead. It sets a terrible precedence.

And like I said, this is not much different than CoD $15 map packs. Can you honestly say there isn't anything wrong with that either? Both the Capcom updates and the CoD map packs "update" the game and prolong the experience, right? But that shit was going on for AGES on PC for fucking free, but now I guess it's ok? Really?

When I have to pay $60 for one level of a game and $20 for each additional level I'll know who to thank.
            First Bolded Comment: Was Capcom the first group of people to actually do this? I'm just curious about that one.

Second Bolded Comment:SHIIIIET, speak for whichever "blind fanboys" you know, but NOBODY I know was plunking down 40 bucks for the physical copy.

While it would be nice, I have no need to do that.

Third Bolded Comment: If you are referring to maps, then yeah, those were free. The problem again is that you're comparing an updated revision to the game to a simple map pack. No, those aren't the same. It's not a simple "patch" that just goes and changes things here and there. A Map pack is simply that, a fucking map pack. It does nothing but add things. While they both "refresh" the game to a new point, the extent isn't the same: a CoD Map pack does nothing for the old maps, whereas an update STILL CHANGES the old things. (Side Note: CoD Map Packs are shittily overpriced, whereas Battlefield: Bad Company 2: Vietnam was just the right amount of content for the same amount of money) Map packs not being free anymore is a shame; however, fully-updated new versions of fighting games with new characters AND system rebalances/tweaks were never free. There was never a deal that you could go to a FuncoLand or whatever the fuck was "in" back then, show them that you had a copy of Street Fighter 2, and get a free copy of Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting. You're arguing that it's not how it should work, and, at the same time, you're implying that back then there was a way that this shit was different; that all of this is fucking new by SOME stretch of imagination. Newsflash: It wasn't. Again, if you don't want it, don't get it. But don't bitch about "THEY'RE FUCKING YOU IN THE ASS". I'm sure EA's already got a grip on that one.

Also, if Twigg found out that there was going to be a new physical product of a game, but they were also adding 12 new characters to the game, knowing that two characters they added via DLC were 5 dollars each, would he actually buy the new physical copy at 40 dollars, or would he deal out 5 dollars for each new character?

Comment

• Twigg4075
              Kindergarten Cop
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Misogi
              First Bolded Comment: Was Capcom the first group of people to actually do this? I'm just curious about that one.

Second Bolded Comment:SHIIIIET, speak for whichever "blind fanboys" you know, but NOBODY I know was plunking down 40 bucks for the physical copy.

While it would be nice, I have no need to do that.

Also, if Twigg found out that there was going to be a new physical product of a game, but they were also adding 12 new characters to the game, knowing that two characters they added via DLC were 5 dollars each, would he actually buy the new physical copy at 40 dollars, or would he deal out 5 dollars for each new character?
              Wait, so you don't buy the new $40 version, you just download the updates? If that's the case then this whole argument is moot. My whole issue is with the re-release of a physical disc for $40, not updating the game.

I was actually jumping back on to mention MK when I saw your post. Seth assumes I have some problem with fighting games as a whole, which is a piss poor assumption. My problem is with Capcom (and Apple, Nintendo, etc.) and teh whole re-release of the physical discs. I have no issues with releasing updates for games. I actually think what they are doing with MK is great, even if maybe some of the content is over priced. But if MK went the route and release a Special Edition or a Tournament Edition in a few months for $40 or more than yeah, that's where my problem lies.

So let me clarify. If you are supporting the game by paying for significant updates via download, good on you. It's the re-releases that I think are complete bullshit.

Comment

• Misogi
                • Oct 2008

To be honest, when given the alternative between re-release and DLC, most of the people that play the game is going to go DLC(if it's in it's entirety like Arcade Edition was). UMvC3 is reportedly not being touted as DLC for 2 reasons:
                1. They say the earthquakes in Japan fucked their plans up
                2. Supposedly capcom is not pleased at the idea of Jill and Shuma-Gorath not selling well as DLC. Who's surprised? I'm more shocked at the number of people that know who both of those characters are.

Comment

• SethMode
                  Master of Mysticism
                  • Feb 2009

My point was basically that the fighting genre is a niche genre, and the "general" fans of it probably ARE NOT going to buy re-releases or "Super" releases of the games. So therefore, selling these to the more tournament/hardcore fighting game fans, isn't going to "harm the gaming community as a whole". Sports games have been a MUCH bigger culprit of that than Capcom could ever hope to be.

Comment

• Buzzman
                    • Oct 2008

heres what i find funny ni all this. You keep saying you'd rather buy the re-release because they add 12 or so characters and shit and at $5 a fighter for DLC you end up saving money, but dont you think $5 for a fucking fighter is overpriced?

What Capcom should do is offer all the updates in the re-release for $15 because the consumer already bought the game. When they re-release the game for $40 its not because the DLC its because your getting the game and the DLC. They essentially fuck the consumer for buying the game on release day.

Comment

• SethMode
                      Master of Mysticism
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Buzzman
                      heres what i find funny ni all this. You keep saying you'd rather buy the re-release because they add 12 or so characters and shit and at $5 a fighter for DLC you end up saving money, but dont you think $5 for a fucking fighter is overpriced?

What Capcom should do is offer all the updates in the re-release for $15 because the consumer already bought the game. When they re-release the game for $40 its not because the DLC its because your getting the game and the DLC. They essentially fuck the consumer for buying the game on release day.
                      How exactly do they fuck the consumer? The person who bought it on release day has been playing it and has the choice of either continuing with it or buying the new release with additional characters. You make it sound like their copy of MvC3 would stop functioning after the release of this.

Comment

• Buzzman
                        • Oct 2008

They fuck the consumer because the only way they can get that "updated" shit is through buying the re-release to a game they already own.

Comment

• SethMode
                          Master of Mysticism
                          • Feb 2009

They fuck the consumer because the only way they can get that "updated" shit is through buying the re-release to a game they already own.
                          And if you bought a PS2 the only way you can play PS3 games is with a PS3. New stuff comes out that sometimes makes your old stuff obsolete. You still have the same game, if you want the additional characters, you can either buy the updated version (and with Capcom fighting games they are usually more than just more characters), or not. Just because a person buys MvC3 day one doesn't mean they're automatically entitled to everything related to the series after that. Now, in this case it's been a bit quicker with the release than usual, but still, no one is getting screwed.

Comment

• Buzzman
                            • Oct 2008

Your talking a fucking console, were talking a game. At least with the GOTY Editions you have the opportunity to buy the content through DLC, what these dumbass fighter games do is force you to rebuy a game you already have.

Comment

• Misogi
                              • Oct 2008

Who is "You" in this sense? Is it lil ole me? 5 dollars for a new fighter is overpriced, sure, but I don't see that ever changing.

And I'll believe i'm fucked for buying the game on release date when I don't spend a considerable amount of time in these games..

And when did these "updated" versions mean that the old version was completely obsolete to 100% of the demographic? The first version is for everyone, but then the next iterations of it and whatnot really aren't. The people who pay for it generally know what they are getting.

Comment

• SethMode
                                Master of Mysticism
                                • Feb 2009

Your talking a fucking console, were talking a game. At least with the GOTY Editions you have the opportunity to buy the content through DLC, what these dumbass fighter games do is force you to rebuy a game you already have.
                                Jesus you're obtuse sometimes. The concept is the same. No one is FORCING you to do anything. MvC3 works the exact same way as it always did and has and WILL have a huge group of people still playing it even after the "new" one comes out. Now, you won't have access to those characters, but oh well. This is like people bitching about first day DLC.

Comment

Working...