• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maynard
    stupid ass titles
    • Feb 2009

espn to 360?

this would be better then facebook, last fm or twitter imo

ESPN on Xbox 360: A tipping point for cable workarounds?
    Todd Bishop on Tuesday, January 19, 2010, 10:49am PST 15 Comments | Permalink
    Microsoft | Television | Video Games | Xbox 360

One of the most obvious lessons from the recent Consumer Electronics Show was that options are expanding rapidly for people itching to sidestep traditional cable television -- particularly as companies find new ways to bring Internet video to the living room.

In that way, it's no surprise that Microsoft is reported to be talking with Disney about piping live ESPN sports content through the Xbox 360, building on the existing (and coincidentally named) ESPN 360 online service. But if the deal comes together, it seems like the type of arrangement that could cause a lot more people to consider dropping their cable service -- contributing to a groundswell that should force cable companies to rethink their approach.

Imagine this budget-minded setup.

1) A relatively low-cost digital converter box and/or HDTV antenna to bring in free content over the air.

2) Xbox Live Gold subscription for about $50 a year, accompanied by a basic Netflix plan for about $9 a month, with the ability to stream selected content directly to the Xbox 360. (The PlayStation 3 also offers Netflix streaming, and the Nintendo Wii will be getting it later this year.)

3) Boxee Box from D-Link, due out out in the first half of this year, $200 one-time cost, offering Hulu and other Internet video services directly on the television. Or PlayOn, the $40 PC software from Seattle's MediaMall that routes Hulu and other Internet video services to the television through game consoles.

Add live ESPN sports to the list, throw in a few TV and movie downloads a month, and really, what more does the average person need?

The New York Times, which broke the news of Microsoft's ESPN talks, cautioned that a deal was not imminent. The popularity of the service will depend largely on the price, with the Times saying only that the content would be available based on "a per-subscriber fee."

Also critical will be the type of content to be available. Personally, I'd pay a few extra dollars a month for a nightly hour-long SportsCenter wrapup, but not for 2 a.m. streams of Australian Rules Football.

At any rate, even if Microsoft's talks with ESPN don't amount to anything, the trend is clear, and the only question is how long it takes for these cable alternatives and workarounds to become mainstream.

Comcast, are you listening? If you'd like to put a stop to all this stuff, please refer to the fourth wish on my list. I'm ready whenever you are to order myself some a la carte cable television channels.
  • Bmore
    The True Free-Man
    • Oct 2008

That would be pretty cool. But for the 80% of us that have cable... yea... I'll just watch it on T.V....

Comment

• Tengo Juego
      Posts a lot
      • Jun 2009

We'll see. It'll depend on how much they charge, and what you get at that price.

Comment

• Pitty
        Death, Taxes, Jeff Capel
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by xPiRGOx
        xbox is steppin up , i bet if xbox goes through with this, PS3 will manage to copy 360 once again.

Here come the PS3 fanboys.

Comment

• Maynard
          stupid ass titles
          • Feb 2009

360 sucks....go fuck yourself.

Did i say that out loud?

Comment

• Buzzman
            • Oct 2008

they both steal from each other. Big whoop.

Comment

• krulmichael
              STRAAAAANGE MUSIC!
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Buzzman
              they both steal from each other. Big whoop.
              How the business world works. Gotta make that money...money...yea yea, that money money...

Twitch Channel
              http://www.twitch.tv/krulmichael20

Season I: 10-6 (NFC North Champions)
              Season II: 9-7 (NFC North Champions)
              Season III: 13-3 (NFC Champions)
              Season IV: 11-5 (NFC North Champions)
              Season V: 2-1

Comment

• NAHSTE
                Probably owns the site
                • Feb 2009

If they were to do this on PS3, I'd consider dropping my cable bill. Does anyone know if espn360 works on the PS3 browser?

This could end up being a cheap alternative to cable, but over the air antennas suck balls compared to cable/satellite. At least the one I used last weekend to watch the playoffs. Every time I changed the channel I had to get up and redirect the orientation of the satellite.

Comment

Working...