X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • packersfan4eva
    Ryan Luxem
    • Dec 2008

Stay away from Wii Fit

The Nintendo Wii has helped tens of millions of gamers get into shape -- but a piece published in the New England Journal of Medicine indicates it may be ushering in a new wave of gaming-related injuries.

Dubbed "Wiitis", the injuries aren't the first time Nintendo consoles have been linked to medical problems: seasoned gamers will recall "Nintendo thumb" or Nintendinitis, a form of repetitive strain injury first noticed in heavy gamers a decade or two ago. But whereas the older machines only affected users' hands and arms, the Wii's innovative control systems mean gaming-related injuries are cropping up all over their bodies.

"Before these types of games were introduced, patients typically presented with ligament injuries of the hand from intensive use of [video game] hand-held controls," said Karen A. Eley, a resident and doctoral candidate at a British hospital. "Now, the injuries seem to affect any region of the body."

Falling off the Wii Balance Board seems to be one of the main causes of injury, according to Eley, and although the board is only a few inches from the ground, a mishap can still lead to anything from soft-tissue damage to broken bones. Head injuries can also result from playing Wii games in confined spaces, she said.

All the same, she says the Wii's emphasis on active gaming probably encourages the otherwise sedentary to get up off the couch and get moving, "aiding in our fight against obesity, heart disease and diabetes," she said.

You might want to warn your four-legged friends, too: the Wii is also the video game system most likely to hurt pets, according to a 2008 study. Truly, it's a veritable menace.

Let's hope you don't fall off the Wii Fit board or smack your dog with the remote

Originally posted by Miggyfan99
    I would get fucked in the ass for WS tickets too... only if Miguel was playing though
  • MmmmBeeeeer
    PTFO
    • Mar 2009

I'd hate to see the injury stats on a treadmill or elliptical machine then, they seem way more dangerous than the wii balance board or whatever lol

Comment

• Maynard
      stupid ass titles
      • Feb 2009

fall off the balance board....hehehe

the thing is about 2 inches off the ground. I have to assume the people who fall off the balance board are the same people who drown in a puddle

Comment

• Chrispy
        Needs a hobby
        • Dec 2008

yeah how do u fall off the thing, u have to have no center of balance or ur just plain stupid.

Comment

• wr50l
          Glen & CJ are secret Huns
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Maynard
          fall off the balance board....hehehe

the thing is about 2 inches off the ground. I have to assume the people who fall off the balance board are the same people who drown in a puddle
          Is your new avatar a man or a woman? I already fapped just want to know if guilty or not.

Comment

• Maynard
            stupid ass titles
            • Feb 2009

lol.....saying the previous avatar was a man, was a joke.....no guilt for you

Comment

Working...