X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Point Blank
    Needs a hobby
    • Oct 2008

NBA Elite 11 Preview

I first got my hands on the new right analog stick controls of NBA Elite 11 at this year's E3 in a demo that was nothing more than one player versus another. It was a good introductory to using the right stick for everything from shooting to dribbling moves but left a big question mark in terms of what a real game would feel like. Last week at EA's Redwood Shores studios, I got the chance to play a full five-on-five game and I came away excited by the potential the gameplay changes bring to the overall package.

As I'm sure you know by now, the controls of NBA Elite have been totally remapped since last year's NBA Live 10. The right stick is getting the same treatment that EA Sports' NHL series got so many years ago. The result is an NBA game that feels much more responsive than it has in the past. Every flick of the stick results in either a cool dribble animation or shot and while the early version of the game that I saw didn't stack up very well against NBA 2K11 in terms of authentic player animations, I've gotta say that the responsive of the controls shows a lot of potential for this year as well as years to come.

I first got my hands on the new right analog stick controls of NBA Elite 11 at this year's E3 in a demo that was nothing more than one player versus another. It was a good introductory to using the right stick for everything from shooting to dribbling moves but left a big question mark in terms of what a real game would feel like. Last week at EA's Redwood Shores studios, I got the chance to play a full five-on-five game and I came away excited by the potential the gameplay changes bring to the overall package.

As I'm sure you know by now, the controls of NBA Elite have been totally remapped since last year's NBA Live 10. The right stick is getting the same treatment that EA Sports' NHL series got so many years ago. The result is an NBA game that feels much more responsive than it has in the past. Every flick of the stick results in either a cool dribble animation or shot and while the early version of the game that I saw didn't stack up very well against NBA 2K11 in terms of authentic player animations, I've gotta say that the responsive of the controls shows a lot of potential for this year as well as years to come.

He will own you.
    That said, the five-on-five gameplay still needs some polish before consumers take to the court. I had no problem breaking ankles left and right with crossover moves and nailing outside jumpers with the right analog felt much easier than when I saw the game at E3. The shooting is all supposed to be skill-based, so I'm either an extraordinarily talented NBA Elite player or the difficulty needs some tuning. I'm betting on the latter. EA Sports has assured me that they're in the midst of finding the sweet spot when it comes to overall difficulty, so don't pass judgment until we get our hands on a final build to see if it's been fixed.

Another issue I had with my first five-on-five experience was that there was never an incentive to run plays or to incorporate the rest of my team to succeed. Again, I'm sure this will change as the development team tunes the overall gameplay, but for now the five-on-five felt more like a one-on-one affair with my point guard dribbling up court, pulling a few cool moves on his defender, then draining a typically open jumper.

Going for the steal.
    Thankfully the final product is aiming to incorporate some cool physics-based defensive abilities that will hopefully constrain players' abilities to dribble their way into the lane each and every time down the court. I saw one instance where a player tried to pull a hard drive to the lane, only to have the ball glance off the defender's knee and into the hands of the opposition.

There are moments of brilliance in NBA Elite 11, that's to be sure. I feel like the title has a lot of potential to become something great, but it's going to take some work on the part of EA Sports to tighten up the whole package before October 5 hits. We'll have more on NBA Elite 11 in the coming weeks, so stay tuned to IGN.com.

He will own you.
    That said, the five-on-five gameplay still needs some polish before consumers take to the court. I had no problem breaking ankles left and right with crossover moves and nailing outside jumpers with the right analog felt much easier than when I saw the game at E3. The shooting is all supposed to be skill-based, so I'm either an extraordinarily talented NBA Elite player or the difficulty needs some tuning. I'm betting on the latter. EA Sports has assured me that they're in the midst of finding the sweet spot when it comes to overall difficulty, so don't pass judgment until we get our hands on a final build to see if it's been fixed.

Another issue I had with my first five-on-five experience was that there was never an incentive to run plays or to incorporate the rest of my team to succeed. Again, I'm sure this will change as the development team tunes the overall gameplay, but for now the five-on-five felt more like a one-on-one affair with my point guard dribbling up court, pulling a few cool moves on his defender, then draining a typically open jumper.

Going for the steal.
    Thankfully the final product is aiming to incorporate some cool physics-based defensive abilities that will hopefully constrain players' abilities to dribble their way into the lane each and every time down the court. I saw one instance where a player tried to pull a hard drive to the lane, only to have the ball glance off the defender's knee and into the hands of the opposition.

There are moments of brilliance in NBA Elite 11, that's to be sure. I feel like the title has a lot of potential to become something great, but it's going to take some work on the part of EA Sports to tighten up the whole package before October 5 hits. We'll have more on NBA Elite 11 in the coming weeks, so stay tuned to IGN.com.
  • Rudi
    #CyCueto
    • Nov 2008

Sounds like this game is making a turn for the better...but I doubt it'll compete with 2K until atleast next year, maybe a few years.

Comment

• Minne
      Go Hawks
      • Jan 2010

may have to check it out this year.

Comment

• Nature Boy
        Raiders
        • May 2009

With 3 NBA games being released this year (NBA 2K11, NBA Jam and NBA Elite) I only have room for two. NBA 2K11 will be my first choice, with NBA Jam being in second place right now. That could change if the NBA Elite demo is good.

Comment

• Cody
          GOAAAAL
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Positive Chance
          NBA Elite is shaping out to be pretty good.
          I head in game injurys arent in game.

Comment

• dave
            Go the fuck outside
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Nature Boy
            With 3 NBA games being released this year (NBA 2K11, NBA Jam and NBA Elite) I only have room for two. NBA 2K11 will be my first choice, with NBA Jam being in second place right now. That could change if the NBA Elite demo is good.
            Lying makes baby Jesus cry.
            You know you're buying Elite 11 first.
            My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Point Blank
              Needs a hobby
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Positive Chance
              NBA Elite is shaping out to be pretty good.
              It will be fine but 2k is just blowing it out the water right now though. If I can get another free copy of Elite from blackflash, I would be more than happy to accept it. :laugh:

Comment

Working...