• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maynard
    stupid ass titles
    • Feb 2009

[ALL] MLB: The Show May Get “Online Pass”

from Pasta

News today that Sony is investigating putting together its own “online pass” like system for all first party titles, and that would include the MLB: The Show franchise. EA Sports and THQ now provide one-time-use codes in all sports titles that provide access to online functionality. However for those who pick up the game used it costs $10 to access online play. Presumably Sony is considering something similar that would go into affect in the near future.

No word yet on the specifics of how Sony’s version of the “online pass” would be crafted. Other companies are considering doing something similar or even possibly going the subscription route. So this sure appears as though it is going to be the standard in the industry, however one question that remains considers how some of the sports titles affected have had weak online performance and options. MLB: The Show has consistently been one of the worst online sports games so it begs the question of how seriously consumers will believe online play for it to be a value add-on worth paying more to get into.
    i buy this game, but online pass wouldnt make me buy it since the online modes are terrible
  • Wildcard
    ®3+@®d5 = 6®0@n5
    • Oct 2008

They better fix the fucking servers and connection issues if they do this.

If I'm paying 10 bucks to play a game I want perfect online play.
    Originally posted by Leftwich 2-14-2009
    I wasn't comparing myself to Wildcard. I honestly don't think I could compare myself to God.

Comment

• Rudi
      #CyCueto
      • Nov 2008

I've had little problems with The Show servers recently. Won't really change my mind as this is leaps and bounds the best Sports game out right now.

Comment

• MvP
        a member of vsn
        • Oct 2008

The Show is an offline game for me so I don't really care. Not being able to download rosters would kinda suck though.

Comment

• Maynard
          stupid ass titles
          • Feb 2009

agreed...but the roster doesnt matter to me. i DL the OS set and then i am off to season mode.

Comment

• Buzzman
            • Oct 2008

your not paying $10 to play online unless you buy it used. People act like this online pass is unfair, but you still only pay $60 for the game like usual and when theirs a deal for $40, you can get it for $40. The only people this online pass effects is the people who rent games.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
              i buy this game, but online pass wouldnt make me buy it since the online modes are terrible
              Originally posted by Wildcard

I disagree with online being terrible. I think this years game is best online sports game since Madden '03. Easily the most fun & realistic when you play a legit player. Almost zero lag, and I think i've had a grand total of 3 connections drop in well over 100 games played. The connection issues have been non existant for months now.

And the online leagues have improved greatly since the patches, and are a shit load of fun.

The game doesnt run off of a server, it's a person to person connection, so if you do have lag, it's likely the game host.

And the online roster updates are nothing short of awesome. Every Monday, like clockwork, and always 100% accurate. I hated the OS rosters, I thought they were total shit. But I don't play offline at all so the minor leaguers werent a big deal to me.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                Kindergarten Cop
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Maynard

Originally posted by Wildcard

You do realize you're not paying anything extra if you're buying it new?

I can't blame comapnies for going to this business model. If anything it helps everyone because it forces Gamestop to lower the price of their used games. Did anyone notice that Madden and NCAA are like $46-47 used as oppsed to $55? It's because they knew they couldn't expect to only knock off $5 and have the buyer pay an additiona $10 to play online.

Comment

• dave
                  Go the fuck outside
                  • Oct 2008

If I were any gaming company, I'd do it.
                  They don't make a dime off used games.
                  The least they can do is make some money for the server time.
                  My only qualm with EA's Online Pass is all the fucking characters you have to type in - cut us old guys some slack.
                  My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• riley420
                    You're goddamned right.
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Buzzman
                    your not paying $10 to play online unless you buy it used. People act like this online pass is unfair, but you still only pay $60 for the game like usual and when theirs a deal for $40, you can get it for $40. The only people this online pass effects is the people who rent games.
                    Unless you rent them the day they come out, and then you win.

<<<---Like this guy for Madden and NCAA

Comment

Working...