X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Epidemik
    Commitment to Excellence
    • Jul 2009

Patch #5 Impressions

In a surprise move EA Sports has released a fifth patch for Madden 11. Upon starting the game for the 360 or PS3 the prompt to download the update should appear. Currently though patch distribution for both consoles seems to be inconsistent with some having received the patch while many others are still waiting for it to arrive.

The patch takes into consideration community feedback with a focus on improving the defense. It also attempts to fix a few online related exploits. Continue on for the patch details and leave your thoughts in the comments!

* Improved reaction times for defenders in coverage to better react to receivers
    * Improved logic to get defenders in better position to make plays on the ball while in the air
    * Improved defensive play recognition to get defenders reacting to the play faster
    * Tuned up defensive pursuit to get defenders to take smarter angles to the ball carrier
    * Tuned up defensive gap aggressiveness to get defenders into the hole faster
    * Fixed an issue where the play art on defense would sometimes not show up correctly when showing blitz. We have corrected this problem in thirteen formations so now all proper play art will be displayed when showing blitz to the offense.
    * Fixed an exploit to disallow defenders from all blitzing when the quarterback tried to pump fake when facing the wrong direction. This was discovered in NCAA Football 11 and fixed in both titles.
    * Fixed an exploit where unscrupulous players could get their fullback or tight end to move across the line of scrimmage and cause an encroachment penalty against an unsuspecting defensive player.
    * Fixed an exploit where online gamers could use specific timing in pulling the network plug and cause a soft lock for both users, thus not having to face a loss. We’ve isolated and fixed the problem, so now if someone pulls their plug, they rightfully get a loss.
    Impressions

• dave
    Go the fuck outside
    • Oct 2008

I've played two games all-pro default with the patch and must admit I've been impressed, but running the ball is so much harder. DTs just explode into the backfield.
    My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Derrville
      Dallas has no coaching...
      • Jul 2009

You can go 20-20 for 500 yds and 10 tds and the defense will still play the run the entire game.

Comment

• Handleit_44
        Posts a lot
        • Jun 2009

Don't give a fuck how many patches this game gets, it'll still suck.

Fuck Madden - bring back 2k bitches!

Comment

• ryne candy
          Aggie C/O '01
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by bnckeye27
          After the 5th patch, what is the overall verdict on this game? I didn't buy it for the first time in years, because I haven't been happy with the "progress" they've made lately. I might buy it if and when (if it hasn't already?) the price drops...
          Can't answer your question but I can tell you it's on sale at Target this week for $44.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
            My Aunt Ida Smokes.
            • Mar 2009

Thanks for the info - for that price I may just pick it up and give it a shot. People have their complaints about NCAA, but I've really enjoyed that this year...I would love to being uploading my freshmen classes for the draft and running some franchises.
            From everything I've heard, Madden '11 didn't improve like NCAA '11 did. I've played it a few times and it felt exactly like '10 with minor improvements tacked on.

I'd suggest saving your $44 for another game.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
              My Aunt Ida Smokes.
              • Mar 2009

That's the initial impression I was getting when it first came out - which is why I avoided it.
              The developers even admitted to changing nothing about the Franchise mode because they wanted to "focus on fixing the gameplay". It wound up playing very similar anyways.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                • Mar 2009

I think I remember that - and they were really pushing this thing about the player focusing on playing the game by having an option to have the computer "coach" the team while you physically ran the plays...to me this sounded like another useless gimmick.
                Pretty much what it is, although it does bring the dynamic of gameplanning into video games.

Comment

• Spidey
                  • Feb 2009

I avoided Madden this year but keep getting the urge to pick this up. I have been able to talk myself out of it due to price, it basically being the same as 2010, and my extreme rage about franchise not being improved at all. Having NHL 11 and The Show on the way also helps.

I swear to fucking god if 2012 isn't the year of the franchise as promised, I am done entirely with Madden. Only mode I care about and its been horseshit since coming to next gen.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                    My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Spidey
                    I avoided Madden this year but keep getting the urge to pick this up. I have been able to talk myself out of it due to price, it basically being the same as 2010, and my extreme rage about franchise not being improved at all. Having NHL 11 and The Show on the way also helps.

I swear to fucking god if 2012 isn't the year of the franchise as promised, I am done entirely with Madden. Only mode I care about and its been horseshit since coming to next gen.
                    Amen. Ever since Madden began involving themselves intensely with the community (granted, it's OS) I feel like they've just been blowing smoke up people's asses.

That said, usually they do good work in 2-year cycles. They basically took '11 off, so I'm also expecting big things from '12.

Comment

• GangstaE
                      No longer a noob
                      • Feb 2009

i rather play 10 then 11 and they do play very similar, i think 10 is much smoother. What bugs me the most is that the game feels arcady at times because a play that looks like its going nowhere somehow becomes a touchdown.

The only positive i got from madden 11 is the updated rosters and being able to play with a loaded Jets team.

Comment

Working...