X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maynard
    stupid ass titles
    • Feb 2009

[ALL] oblivion question

i was gonna ask in the random thoughts thread but wanted to get some good feedback.

basically i want to know if you think i would enjoy oblivion now 4 years later? i played it back in 06 and again before FO3. I didnt like it because i was new to RPG's (always was a sports gamer) and i didnt really understand and have the interest in trying to figure out what everything meant in the game. since then i have come to love RPG's like this one....the medevil times especially are fun to play

i have recently checked out gameplay videos and the combat seems kind of weak compared to todays games. graphically it seemed like it would compare to Origins

gameplay and graphically would this game still be enjoyable after 4 years?
    what do u think of this game remembering that its now 4+ years old and possibly being so dated that it might not be worth checking out again

sidenote, when i played it before i only got thru the opening dungeon part
  • Buzzman
    • Oct 2008

I started it up 2 weeks ago. I like it but don't love it, way too much walking. Haven't done a whole lot in the 8 or so hours I've played it.

Comment

• Maynard
      stupid ass titles
      • Feb 2009

how does it look? remember, i couldnt deal with GTA4 when i recently tryed to play the DLC disc....it was so dated.

what do u think of the rpg aspects of the gameplay? any comparisons?

Comment

• Buzzman
        • Oct 2008

The graphics are a lot worse then GTA but because not a whole lot is going on, it might not be noticed as much, if that makes any sense.

As far as the gameplay, this is just from my little experience with it. Based no your race/birth sign/ect and everything you pick you get certain magic capabilities that fit your background, a lot of hack and slash early on, leveling up is pretty standard RPG like, and the quests I have done have ranged from delivering an item, to destroying creatures in dungeons. The very first dungeon I entered was massive. Took me about 1-2 hours to explore and that was just the first one I stumbled upon. The bow is very hard to use as it's hard to aim and the same can be said for casting spells. You can brew potions, but I don't recall learning new spells yet, I believe you have to have someone teach you or read them from a scroll/paper. It starts off very very slow because you basically have nothing, but 3 missions into the main quest and you already are in a pretty good battle. Reading the strategy guide, it seems like the main quest is short compared tot he massive amount of side quests your able to do. That's all I can recall right now. Hope that helps.

Comment

• Maynard
          stupid ass titles
          • Feb 2009

it sure does. about the spells...sounds like they give u pre determined spells based on options. is that just to start? do u eventually get to choose new spells like u would in DA Origins with a spell tree?

Comment

• Buzzman
            • Oct 2008

my ps3 broke before I could even get into Dragon Age. Are you asking if you can make your own spells? or if you can choose which ones you want to learn?

In Oblivion so far, the spells I have are all pre-determined for you based on your background. Such as self heal, fire blast, and like 3 others ones that I never use because you can only use them once a day. I haven't really messed with the spells to much since I'm way more of a take the sword and hack n slash to death kind of guy. You use the spells with the left bumper and if you want to use a different spell you have to press select and change it to another. There is some sort of quick swap wheel that I haven;t figured out how to use yet.

Comment

• Maynard
              stupid ass titles
              • Feb 2009

u answered my question.....but whats this once a day shit....lol

Comment

• Buzzman
                • Oct 2008

There are spells that you get specifically for your birth sign that are extremely powerful and after I used it, I went to sue it again and a notice popped up saying you can only use the spells int hat category once a day. So because of that I don;t even bother using them at all.

Comment

• FedEx227
                  Delivers
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Buzzman
                  I started it up 2 weeks ago. I like it but don't love it, way too much walking. Haven't done a whole lot in the 8 or so hours I've played it.
                  Do you know about the fast track where you can instantly move to locations you've been before?
                  VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• MvP
                    a member of vsn
                    • Oct 2008

I replayed it December of 2009 and I still enjoyed it. Really the only thing wrong with the game is shitty frame-rate.

Comment

• Raidersabc123
                      Wakka Wakka
                      • Dec 2008

I played it not to long ago and still loved it the only thing I really hate is when you level up your opponents around you level up as well
                      THe MaDDeN GoD

Comment

• Buzzman
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by FedEx227
                        Do you know about the fast track where you can instantly move to locations you've been before?
                        Yea I've seen it, just haven't figured out how to use it naturally yet.

Comment

• FedEx227
                          Delivers
                          • Mar 2009

Open up your map then find a location and hit "A" I believe to fast travel there.

It was glorious when I discovered it because I was the same way, walking around for hours on end.
                          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Buzzman
                            • Oct 2008

The thing is, if I just fast travel then I get bored doing constant missions. It just doesn't feel natural to me to play an RPG like that to me. Even in the more modern games like GTA and Red Dead I don;t fast travel.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                              My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                              • Mar 2009

*Insert horse armor joke here*

Comment

Working...