X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jms493
    • Feb 2009

Top Spin 4

Just throwing my 2 cents into the wind.

I picked up Top Spin 4 yesterday as I really liked the demo. I have to say this game is really, really good. Much better then the Virtua Tennis franchise. They really made you in control of your shots and serves. It really is all about timing...all of my mistakes were b/c I made them. I just love the variety of the shots. It is fun that you can actually hit a set up shot out of the court or into the net....and it is your fault.

I went online and played a game and it was surprisingly smooth. I freaking smoked this kid which was shocking b/c most tennis games I have played online I usually run into some savant then never misses a shot....I am sure if I played 2-3 more randoms I would have run into that.

Career mode I touched on a little....seems just like most career modes. Build up player and keep playing tournaments. On normal difficulty I am beating up this lesser opponents pretty easily so far.

BTW I played online with Roddick and his serve is SICK! AS long as you use the advanced serving controls, which are rather easy to learn. All analog controlled.

I tried the stereoscopic 3D option. It was ok...nothing amazing but it definitely showed some depth of menus and balls were above the court.

I recommend this game to any tennis fan. I think you have to create 2 characters though, 1 for offline and 1 for online. They are separate....not sure why.

I honestly just like playing with the real pros online. Good game. If you get it I highly recommend playing through most of the tennis academy first. It teaching you everything.

• ryne candy
    Aggie C/O '01
    • Feb 2009

Does this game have analog control? Seems like a game I would pick up when it goes on sale.

Comment

• jms493
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ryne candy
      Does this game have analog control? Seems like a game I would pick up when it goes on sale.
      Not really.

You move the player with the right stick and you also aim with the right stick. there are 4 shots mapped to the 4 buttons. Flat, slice, top spin, lob. Depending when you press and release the button determines the type and accuracy of the shot (power or control). The game immediately tells you, "Too soon", "Too Late", "Good", or "Perfect". So you can fix and analyze your swing every stroke.

The advanced serve uses right stick. it is very cool and very effective. You push down to start the serve and then push up when the the ball is approaching its highest point for a flat hard serve. You aim with the left stick and the longer your aim the more extreme the ball will travel in that direction. There are 2 other serves....push left instead of up for a High stop spin serve and left for a some other type of serve...I forget.

Comment

• Ravin
        Dishing the Gino's
        • Feb 2009

It is probably the same as Top Spin 3, just "newer". Wait till you get in a few weeks of play and guys online start turning into the same thing. ALl of them set at 100 power, 100 speed, 100 back hand, 100 forehand, and default low for at net, volley because no one gives a shit about that when you one hit wonder it every time.

That was honestly what ruined TS3 for me because I made a balanced guy who was good in some areas, but going up against 100's I was beat all the time.
        All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• Twigg4075
          Kindergarten Cop
          • Feb 2009

If they made a racquet ball game JMS would own!

But speaking of tennis games, I think the last one I played was Andre Agassi on the Genesis.

Comment

• jms493
            • Feb 2009

never played ts3. online i like using the real pros and not the created players.
            Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/24.732; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54

Comment

• Maynard
              stupid ass titles
              • Feb 2009

i would probably pick this up if it wasnt for other games taking my time right now.

Comment

• Maynard
                stupid ass titles
                • Feb 2009

i would probably pick this up if it wasnt for other games taking my time right now.

Comment

• MvP
                  a member of vsn
                  • Oct 2008

I would probably pick this up if I had any interest in playing video games right now.

I played the shit out of Top Spin 2...still own it actually.

Comment

• St. Francisco
                    45-35 Never Forget
                    • Feb 2009

TS2 was my shit...dominated my brother in that game. Good times.

Comment

• Maynard
                      stupid ass titles
                      • Feb 2009

TopSpin_Rebate

Comment

• Berowsk
                        Fuck Bitches, Get Wawa.
                        • Oct 2008

The cheapest thing I could find was around 3.50$ for a bottle.
                        sigpic

Comment

• tigstah
                          Mr. Casual Gamer
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                          If they made a racquet ball game JMS would own!

But speaking of tennis games, I think the last one I played was Andre Agassi on the Genesis.
                          the last one i played, was on my amiga 500....20 years ago.

Comment

• Brotha2ThaNight
                            Viva Sombrero
                            • Apr 2009

Tennis, Soccer, Hockey even are all fun games but now that I am older and dont have friends over or even friends sports gaming as much these games are now just rentals for me.
                            Yahoo: BigVoo

Comment

• Colonel Angus
                              No longer a noob
                              • Jan 2010

It's $20 on amazon now and I'm considering ordering it.

Comment

Working...