X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ravin
    Dishing the Gino's
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by godspeed
    Finding good shots. And everytime it looks like I'm about to get a good look, CPU is all over me. I can't get a single break away on pro or all star. That's why I went to rookie, to practice shooting, and moves out in the open. Basically it's scoring. I'm good on defense, poke checking, back checking, faceoffs,,,,I just can't score. I'm patient, do alot of passing in the zone, only to not get a good look (except I can on rookie and Pro).

Do the offense and defense play calling work well?

Any other general tips will be a huge help. Thanks.
    I'm just going to say, don't get to pissed off. Many people have come through here with no ability to put the puck in the net and they can't do shit all with the puck. It is a learned skill and something that will take practice and not just demo stuff.

When I first started with NHL08, I spent probably about 30minutes a day in the practice mode learning the skill stick and how to shoot properly. Then add some defenders every once in awhile. It really helped when you don't have people always on you, and you can really learn some moves.

Offence and defence plays I would say don't worry about right now. Only because everyone is different. Somepeople play certain styles and it better suits them, so that is something you will figure out later on. I don't really look at it to much, but someone like leaffan actually sets his plays and all that.

NHL is one of those few games that if you play SIM / REAL hockey, you will do 100 times better. Move the puck around, and look for your chances. Use your blue line. You would be surprise how much that helps when you start letting point shots go. If you are only trying to put it in with your forwards, you are basically playing 5 on 3 hockey, so get it back to the blue line and cycle. Cycling the puck may be the best advice for helping you get better and get better chances. You'll learn the moves soon enough to dangle through a team, but in NHL12, those days seem to be gone.
    All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• Ravin
      Dishing the Gino's
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
      You can really see it when you play goalie (can do in HUT mode).

I played 6 periods so far, in some ways it's harder but in other ways its easier to play it.

I like how you can beat goalies under their arms and such, some new good goalie animations available too. Working the posts was awkward but it's much smoother and you can trigger some new animations that I don't think you could in the past.
      You going to put in the 150 games this year for goalie legend? Jesus christ that just seems like that biggest feat from hell. With better AI in the defence though, and a slower game, I think it will help goalies drastically. I remember you always said, goalies were always fucked, because players can skate and dangle so fast, and goalies are like turtles out there. Do you get that feeling this year, or is it starting to get more 'on-par'?
      All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• Ravin
        Dishing the Gino's
        • Feb 2009

Sign up guys. Need to get 5 more atleast on the Xbox side, and 7 on the PS3 side. Most tournaments are double elimination, so with 8 guys you'll play 2 - 4 games depending on how far. Not just NHL teams either, so get to have some fun using all the leagues in the game.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• killgod
          OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Ravin
          You going to put in the 150 games this year for goalie legend? Jesus christ that just seems like that biggest feat from hell. With better AI in the defence though, and a slower game, I think it will help goalies drastically. I remember you always said, goalies were always fucked, because players can skate and dangle so fast, and goalies are like turtles out there. Do you get that feeling this year, or is it starting to get more 'on-par'?
          Gonna try.

The biggest help is when scrums happen in front of the net, in previous years any forward could morph his stick through the legs and dangle/shoot...not so much anymore. Felt like I had a chance to make a play on those.

I don't think it's on par yet though, user goalies online will still struggle overall.

Comment

• godspeed
            • Mar 2009

I'm just going to say, don't get to pissed off. Many people have come through here with no ability to put the puck in the net and they can't do shit all with the puck. It is a learned skill and something that will take practice and not just demo stuff.

When I first started with NHL08, I spent probably about 30minutes a day in the practice mode learning the skill stick and how to shoot properly. Then add some defenders every once in awhile. It really helped when you don't have people always on you, and you can really learn some moves.

Offence and defence plays I would say don't worry about right now. Only because everyone is different. Somepeople play certain styles and it better suits them, so that is something you will figure out later on. I don't really look at it to much, but someone like leaffan actually sets his plays and all that.

NHL is one of those few games that if you play SIM / REAL hockey, you will do 100 times better. Move the puck around, and look for your chances. Use your blue line. You would be surprise how much that helps when you start letting point shots go. If you are only trying to put it in with your forwards, you are basically playing 5 on 3 hockey, so get it back to the blue line and cycle. Cycling the puck may be the best advice for helping you get better and get better chances. You'll learn the moves soon enough to dangle through a team, but in NHL12, those days seem to be gone.
            Ya, I definately like the challange. I appreciate a game that takes longer to learn the skill and video game ways of the sport. Going to keep going at it with the demo for the next few weeks. I don't want to rent NHL 11, because I heard the speeds are different and plays a little different, so I think I'm just going to keep playing the hell out of the demo.

Comment

• Ravin
              Dishing the Gino's
              • Feb 2009

No real point in renting the game when NHL12 is out in 3 weeks. It will screw you up. Just keep playing the 1v1 and try different things. Lucky is Boston and Vancouver offer a lot on each team, so you can't go wrong.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• Rip
                • Aug 2011

I just got a one-timer snipe from Henrik Sedin and he did the animation where he goes down on one knee. It looked fricken awesome. Great addition.

Sidenote: Anyone familiar with the 2k series? Apparently they've produced great hockey games. Here's a video that really impressed me

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAWHp9hl2Fw[/ame]

Comment

• Ravin
                  Dishing the Gino's
                  • Feb 2009

lol @ that video being top 5 goals. The only one that should be on that list was the last one.

2k hockey never really caught on here, as the EA game was just better. The skill stick made the EA game just shit on 2k's version. I remember with 2K, you had to hit weird button's to do shots, and it was more of an arcade feeling then anything. They didn't do to well in the market so that is why they took a year, now 2 years off from making hockey games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                    Highwayman
                    • Feb 2009

2K was good back in the mid-2000's, but EA took'em over and didn't stop. 2K isn't bad per se now, just not as good as EA's game.

Comment

• Rip
                      • Aug 2011

http://www.virtualsportsdaily.com/fo...d.php?t=107824

Sign up guys. Need to get 5 more atleast on the Xbox side, and 7 on the PS3 side. Most tournaments are double elimination, so with 8 guys you'll play 2 - 4 games depending on how far. Not just NHL teams either, so get to have some fun using all the leagues in the game.
                      NHL tourney? If you don't mind I'll try participating. If you guys have an EASHL team or OTP team i'll gladly join. I consider myself pretty good at the NHL games.

Originally posted by killgod
                      Gonna try.

The biggest help is when scrums happen in front of the net, in previous years any forward could morph his stick through the legs and dangle/shoot...not so much anymore. Felt like I had a chance to make a play on those.

I don't think it's on par yet though, user goalies online will still struggle overall.
                      I personally like usering the goalie. For about a month I would player lock the goalie on Ranked Versus and surprisingly did really well. 3-2, high pressure, and full attack. Most people don't know how to deal with the computer and try to play as if they're going against a user player. I'm kind of a whore though. I don't use the right stick so the goalie makes the saves on his own. I wish they had better user desperation saves though...

lol @ that video being top 5 goals. The only one that should be on that list was the last one.

2k hockey never really caught on here, as the EA game was just better. The skill stick made the EA game just shit on 2k's version. I remember with 2K, you had to hit weird button's to do shots, and it was more of an arcade feeling then anything. They didn't do to well in the market so that is why they took a year, now 2 years off from making hockey games.
                      Yeah, I was just curious. I'm a big 2K Football fan and always thought the series was great, same with their NBA series. Never played 2k so I was seeing if anyone was familiar.

Sidenote: Found an easy way to score. Goalies seem to have a problem with a certain, easy tactic lol.

Comment

• Ravin
                        Dishing the Gino's
                        • Feb 2009

If you are interested in the tournament just go sign up in the forum and put what system you play for so I know.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• leaffan
                          Colton Orr Fan
                          • Feb 2009

Xbox 360 store on Queen St. West. Apparantly its beside something called the lulu lemon store.

Anyways on the leafs board anyways the entire teams rating have been released. Not sure if people from other boards are going to make their way down there but since its the weekend and the info on where the game is is out people might make their way down there.

83C Lupul - 83C Connolly - 87C Kessel
                          84C Kulemin - 83C Grabovski - 83C MacArthur
                          83C Lombardi - 81C Bozak - 82C Armstrong
                          75C Boyce - 77B Kadri - 75C Crabb
                          81C Sjostrom
                          79C Brown
                          77C Dupuis
                          77C Orr
                          74C Rosehill
                          72C Frattin

85C Phaneuf - 82B Franson
                          84B- Schenn - 84C Komisarek
                          79B- Gunnarsson - 83C Liles
                          78B- Aulie
                          73B- Lashoff

82B- Reimer
                          81C Gustavsson

I think my 1v1 quest to rage as many canadiens fans as possible next year will become even easier.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• Rip
                            • Aug 2011

ANA: 91 Getzlaf, 90 Perry
                            BUF: 88 Roy, 88 Vanek, 82 Leino
                            CAR: 90 Staal
                            CHI: 91 Toews, 89 Hossa
                            COL: 87 Stastny
                            DAL: 87 Eriksson, 87 Ribeiro
                            DET: 93 Datsyuk
                            LA: 88 Doughty, 85 Johnson, 82 Scuderi
                            MIN: 88 Koivu, 88 Heatley
                            MTL: 87 Cammalleri, 87 Plekanec, 84 Gomez
                            NJ: 91 Parise, 91 Kovalchuk
                            NYR: 89 Gaborik, 88 Richards
                            OTT: 84 Alfredsson
                            PHI: 87 Giroux, 87 Briere (also, JvR is between 82-84, can't remember exactly)
                            PIT: 94 Crosby, 91 Malkin
                            WSH: 93 Ovechkin, 90 Vokoun
                            WIN: 87 Byfuglien, 85 Antropov

Koivu is an 88 and so is Heatley. I'm pleased.

Comment

• Rip
                              • Aug 2011

1.) Play someone who loves to hit you after the whistle is blown
                              2.) Stand in front of goalie
                              3.) Taunt him
                              4.) He charges
                              5.) Move out of the way right before he hits you
                              6.) ???
                              7.) Penalty Profit.

Comment

• wingsfan77
                                • Aug 2009

I haven't gotten a penalty for hitting the goalie after the play yet....

Comment

Working...