• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saluki
    Ball So Hard
    • Oct 2008

[3DS] Nintendo Admits to using PS3/Xbox footage in Wii U highlight reel

Oh Nintendo, you so crazy.
    Nintendo's E3 2011 keynote yesterday gave the world its first official look at the all-new Wii U hardware plus (we thought) a glimpse at the graphical capabilities of its next console. As it turns out, the impressive list of upcoming games for the 2012-bound console was just that, a list, with the visuals we saw on screen coming from PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of said titles. Nintendo of America chief Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed that to be the case in an interview with GameTrailers, where he also points out that the eventual Wii U games will look at least as good as their PS3 / 360 counterparts. Which is why, in his eyes, it's okay to show us those games being played on the competition's (current-gen) hardware. He does remind us that the Wii U will be delivering graphics at a 1080p resolution, and points to the garden tech demo that also graced E3 as an indicator of what can be done with Nintendo's next console. That's all well and good, but maybe tell us in advance next time, Reggie?

Nintendo's E3 2011 keynote yesterday gave the world its first official look at the all-new Wii U hardware plus (we thought) a glimpse at the graphical capabilities of its next console. As it turns out, the impressive list of upcoming games for the 2012-bound console was just that, a list, with the visuals we saw on screen coming from PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of said titles. Nintendo of America chief Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed that to be the case in an interview with GameTrailers, where he also points out that the eventual Wii U games will look at least as good as their PS3 / 360 counterparts. Which is why, in his eyes, it's okay to show us those games being played on the competition's (current-gen) hardware. He does remind us that the Wii U will be delivering graphics at a 1080p resolution, and points to the garden tech demo that also graced E3 as an indicator of what can be done with Nintendo's next console. That's all well and good, but maybe tell us in advance next time, Reggie?
  • jms493
    • Feb 2009

honestly why would you buy this if you have an xbox or 360?

This system will probably $299-$399 with the same capability of a current gen xbox or ps3. The xbox and ps3 will price drop to try and attack the new console. Unless they have hi def mario, zelda, metroid, ect. There will be no reason for me or most hardcore to buy. its a HD device that is 5 years late to the party.

Essentially it is a Xbox with a tablet that plays nintendo 1st party games.

and the name.....oh lord the name. Wii U???? Why?? Is this a University? WTF?

Comment

• tigstah
      Mr. Casual Gamer
      • Mar 2009

hmmmmm. so they are using a little deception.

Comment

• Saluki
        Ball So Hard
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jms493

This system will probably $299-$399 with the same capability of a current gen xbox or ps3. The xbox and ps3 will price drop to try and attack the new console. Unless they have hi def zelda, metroid, ect. There will be no reason for me or most hardcore to buy. its a HD device that is 5 years late to the party.

PPl will buy it just for HD nintendo games, watch.

Comment

• jms493
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Saluki
          PPl will buy it just for HD nintendo games, watch.
          agreed but not the same audience that bought all those Wiis IMO.

I think the hardcore will jump in but will all the older people that never bought a system before Wii invest in this? Will they buy? They can't use a tablet with 2 analog sticks and buttons and shit.....hell no.

Are they expecting all the people that haven't turned on their Wii in 2 years to buy....they hit a home-run with the Wii. I think this will be about a double.

Pricepoint on this console will be VERY IMPORTANT.

Comment

• Saluki
            Ball So Hard
            • Oct 2008

Pricepoint on this console will be VERY IMPORTANT.
            Yep, if they managed to drop this thing at a cheap price it'll sell. But they kinda boned themselves making the 3DS $250, unless they drop that price soon they'll be forced to make the WiiU more than that to justify selling the 3DS for that price.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
              My Aunt Ida Smokes.
              • Mar 2009

Apparently the "U" stands for Unity or Unison.

Comment

• jms493
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BrntO4Life
                Apparently the "U" stands for Unity or Unison.
                yeah and general public will get or understand that....

Comment

• JBregz
                  Follow me! @JBregzz
                  • Nov 2008

What a fail.

Follow me on twitter @JBregzz
                  Follow me on twitch bitch http://www.twitch.tv/jbregz/
                  Redskins TGT Scheduling Thread http://www.virtualsportsnetwork.com/...eduling-Thread

Comment

• ryne candy
                    Aggie C/O '01
                    • Feb 2009

and still this thing will sell alot. I showed the press conference to my wife and she already wanted it. We live in a small apartment, pretty sure she could have the system on in the living room and play it in the bedroom (even though it doesn't play through wi-fi).

Comment

• jms493
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ryne candy
                      and still this thing will sell alot. I showed the press conference to my wife and she already wanted it. We live in a small apartment, pretty sure she could have the system on in the living room and play it in the bedroom (even though it doesn't play through wi-fi).
                      what to see if the price is viable then ask her again. If the barrier to entry is $400+ you might re-think.

Comment

• tigstah
                        Mr. Casual Gamer
                        • Mar 2009

what to see if the price is viable then ask her again. If the barrier to entry is $400+ you might re-think.
                        anything over 299 is too much.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                          Kindergarten Cop
                          • Feb 2009

This system will probably $299-$399 with the same capability of a current gen xbox or ps3. The xbox and ps3 will price drop to try and attack the new console. Unless they have hi def mario, zelda, metroid, ect. There will be no reason for me or most hardcore to buy. its a HD device that is 5 years late to the party.

I did see a tweet earlier from Gametrailers I believe that said that it's supposed to be 50% more powerful than a PS3. But who knows.

But based on the info that this thread is referencing I wish I could groan Nintendo.

Comment

Working...