• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JayDizzle
    Let's Go All The Way...
    • Nov 2008

[PS3] First Party Sony titles to start using online pass system

Originally posted by David Houghton, GamesRadar UK
    Starting with Resistance 3, Sony is rolling out its own PSN Pass system, mimicking EA and Warner Bros. online pass equivalents. Buy a copy of the game new, get a code to play online. Buy it second-hand, don't get a code, head over to the PS Store to buy one. No word yet on how much additional PSN Passes will be.
    Originally posted by SONY
    "We are always evaluating new programs for our online offering, and starting with Resistance 3 this September, we will be instituting a network pass program for PS3 games with online capabilities. This program will be game-specific. Games that are a part of this program will include a single-use registration code that grants the account holder redeeming the code full online access for that title. This is an important initiative as it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio"
    TL;DR - Brand new First Party games from Sony now come with an online pass.

If you buy the title used, you have to buy the pass through the PSN.
  • Twigg4075
    Kindergarten Cop
    • Feb 2009

I would imagine every game company will go to this model at some point. It makes sense for companies to want to cut into the used market.

Comment

• JayDizzle
      Let's Go All The Way...
      • Nov 2008

I'd have to look at the numbers but if I were a games company, I'd try to put something out like the new MX vs. ATV title.

$40, online capable and you can parts out DLC for extra dough.

Add the online pass and you can get more if the game turns out to be good.

I feel dirty

Comment

• Twigg4075
        Kindergarten Cop
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by JayDizzle
        I'd have to look at the numbers but if I were a games company, I'd try to put something out like the new MX vs. ATV title.

$40, online capable and you can parts out DLC for extra dough.

Add the online pass and you can get more if the game turns out to be good.

I feel dirty
        Are you being sarcastic? Because that experiment failed miserably.

Comment

• JayDizzle
          Let's Go All The Way...
          • Nov 2008

Maybe.

Comment

Working...