X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twigg4075
    Kindergarten Cop
    • Feb 2009

[PS3] PlayStation email phishing scam

Just a heads up to everyone. This morning I received an email from Playstation_Network@playstation-email.com that of course looks legit. Not only did it have the PlayStation Network graphics and headers but it came to the e-mail address I use for my PSN account but it is addressed to my PSN tag. It basically says that they noticed that I have had a wallet balance for over six months and that I can check my account balance by clicking on a link.

Of course I didn't because I knew it sounded like bullshit, especially considering I've only had a balance for maybe a month now?

I also just saw on Twitter that Chris Grant from Joystiq tweeted that several member of the Joystiq staff received similar emails.

Please note that some may be worded differently.

• tigstah
    Mr. Casual Gamer
    • Mar 2009

got the same email. didnt sound right, since i know i dont have a balance on my acct. i just deleted the email. thanks for the update tho.

Comment

• nflman2033
      George Brett of VSN
      • Apr 2009

I got it too, I know I have a balance, but when I saw the link I just felt like it would be easier to log on my ps3 and check that way rather than through my pc

Comment

• Twigg4075
        Kindergarten Cop
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by nflman2033
        I got it too, I know I have a balance, but when I saw the link I just felt like it would be easier to log on my ps3 and check that way rather than through my pc
        Was the balance still there? I haven't been home yet so I sure hope mine is.

I should change my email linked to that account. The only way you can do that is through the PlayStation website, right?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost56
          True Blue
          • Feb 2009

thanks for the heads up. i got one last night but didnt click on it. i found the email kind of odd since i only have like 2 bucks in my account.

Comment

• nflman2033
            George Brett of VSN
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
            Was the balance still there? I haven't been home yet so I sure hope mine is.

I should change my email linked to that account. The only way you can do that is through the PlayStation website, right?
            Lol I have been playing Wii and haven't checked.

However this maybe legit

The PlayStation Network has been the target of a number of hacks, schemes, and some other downright dirty acts from scoundrels, thieves, and evil-doers alike.

Comment

• Twigg4075
              Kindergarten Cop
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by nflman2033
              Lol I have been playing Wii and haven't checked.

However this maybe legit

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011...ishing-emails/
              I can't click on that link at work. What is it?

Comment

• Houston
                Back home
                • Oct 2008

lol, poor PSN users can never get a break.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                  • Sep 2024

Comment

• nflman2033
                    George Brett of VSN
                    • Apr 2009

[Update] The “Phishing Scam” we reported on earlier this morning is NOT a phishing scam after all. Sony’s Jeff Rubenstein has clarified on Twitter:

While we were wrong that it isn’t a phishing scam, it never hurts to be extra cautious when dealing with secure passwords and strange emails. Especially ones that say funds have been sitting in our wallets for “six months or more”, when we spend money on the PlayStation Network weekly. Simply put, we were wrong, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

[Original] The PlayStation Network has been the target of a number of hacks, schemes, and some other downright dirty acts from scoundrels, thieves, and evil-doers alike. The latest issue comes in the form of a phishing scam being sent to PSN user’s email addresses.

The scam appears as an email stating you have funds in your wallet that haven’t been used in months. Upon logging in, your credentials are then stolen.

I personally received the email late last night and although it did raise red flags, there were things in the email that made it appear legit. As you can see from the image below, there is legal copyright and trademark text at the bottom of the page. It also is designed in such a way that it looks similar to other PSN-related mailings.

It does appear that the scam at least knows half of your information as it uses the correct PSN ID and send the email to the email address related to the PSN account. All that’s left is for you to enter you password, and they’ll have all they need to do their dirty work.

[Source]

Top 3 Gamer's No-Nos Worst VG Shirts Ever Top 5 Controller-wrecking Games Why Devs Hate PC Gamers Lowest Scoring Super Mario Bros. Game The Best Pokemon Ever

Tweet 27 3 submit

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

14 Responses to “[UPDATE: Not Phishing] Beware of PSN Wallet Phishing Emails”

curtissheets28 says: 12/16/2011 at 10:42 AM holy crap…i got that email too…really glad i didnt put much thought into it and went back to studying…thanks for this article, now i can go report the sender

Shibbyman2718 says: 12/16/2011 at 10:42 AM Oh shit, I got that e-mail. But I couldn’t be bothered to give one fuck about that e-mail, good to know it is a scam.

AiKaoriHime says: 12/16/2011 at 10:54 AM I got it too, but it didn’t make sense. I had brought stuff from the PSN store a couple of days ago. Wtf is wrong with people these days?

DarKnighT_0_9 says: 12/16/2011 at 11:03 AM Well crap. I got the email, thought it sounded weird but stupidly logged in. Apparently my 4.40 balance and the fact that I don’t have a credit card weren’t appealing or they hadn’t tried my account yet cause nothing was changed no money was gone. Thanks for the warning. Password changed.

Toxia says: 12/16/2011 at 11:18 AM i got this email to but do not use a credit card so what is the worst that could happen?

leo313rd says: 12/16/2011 at 11:21 AM I got it too but i didn’t bother with it. But I also got a message on my ps3 and it had a link that took me straight to the minis section on the ps store. Did anyone else get it on ps3 and is it actually from Sony or someone that hacked into PSN.

smokey_vols says: 12/16/2011 at 11:25 AM Hmm… I got it too. I believe everyone must have gotten it.

Shibbyman2718 says: 12/16/2011 at 11:51 AM But the links lead to a website http://www.playstation-emails.com if that doesnt seem phishy, I don’t know what does.

Shibbyman2718 says: 12/16/2011 at 11:54 AM I didnt realize it would create the hyperlink…and I didn’t put in the http….so…dont click on that.

GAM3R_16 says: 12/16/2011 at 12:06 PM Way to advertise the scam (if it was) LOL

GAM3R_16 says: 12/16/2011 at 11:57 AM Oh what a relief, even though like most others I didn’t think much of it the part with me having my credit card attached and a balance of $50 on my psn account really had me worried.

Achilles410 says: 12/16/2011 at 12:03 PM i got that email but i had just used my balance before so i didn’t bother to check it

DarKnighT_0_9 says: 12/16/2011 at 12:11 PM So I just spent all that time changing all my passwords for nothing… Lol oh well everything is more secure now at least.

Mark says: 12/16/2011 at 12:15 PM Yeah, I know my wallet funds haven’t been used for a long time. What the hell am I going to do with 25 cents?

Leave a Reply You must be logged in to post a comment.

Search

Latest

Comment

• Twigg4075
                      Kindergarten Cop
                      • Feb 2009

That is a serious fail on Sony's part then. Why would you send out mass e-mails with a generic line like "We noticed you've had funds in your wallet for six months"?

Fail.:obama:

Comment

• krulmichael
                        STRAAAAANGE MUSIC!
                        • Feb 2009

I didn't receive that e-mail, BUT I did receive one that gives me an extra month of PSN+ along with 2 friends of my choosing.

Twitch Channel
                        http://www.twitch.tv/krulmichael20

Season I: 10-6 (NFC North Champions)
                        Season II: 9-7 (NFC North Champions)
                        Season III: 13-3 (NFC Champions)
                        Season IV: 11-5 (NFC North Champions)
                        Season V: 2-1

Comment

• cf24
                          WESTBROOK
                          • Feb 2009

I got it in my PSN messages yesterday...but I HAVE had balances in my account for 6+ months...but I'm not gonna miss that penny if someone decides to steal it.

Comment

• stevsta
                            ¿Que?
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by krulmichael
                            I didn't receive that e-mail, BUT I did receive one that gives me an extra month of PSN+ along with 2 friends of my choosing.
                            yep
                            RIP

Comment

• Garrett67
                              Glory Hole Monitor
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by cf24
                              I got it in my PSN messages yesterday...but I HAVE had balances in my account for 6+ months...but I'm not gonna miss that penny if someone decides to steal it.

That is where I received mine. I didn't pay attention to it because I have only purchased one thing (Course for HOt Shots golf) and I know there wasn't a balance. I just assumed they sent it to everyone as a courtesy.

Comment

Working...