X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NAHSTE
    Probably owns the site
    • Feb 2009

[ALL] Veteran has an issue with MW3 advertisements:

Thoughts? I thought the commercial was in poor taste myself when I first saw it.

There is a television advertisement for a video game called Modern Warfare 3 that is so base and strident that it's hard to believe that it's not deliberately offensive. It begins with two Hollywood buffoons in (for whatever reason) MultiCam taking heavy fire during an apparent New York City terrorist attack. The men calmly walk into a hailstorm of bullets, and return fire with rifles, pistols, and submachine guns. Most disturbing is that the depicted maelstrom seems designed to carefully hover in the uncanny zone. Clearly it's not Black Hawk Down, but neither is it Starship Troopers. On some level—perhaps it's the intensity of the actors—the commercial wants its action to be taken seriously.

Veterans aren't in the "professionally aggrieved" business, and I don't doubt that some significant percentage of men and women in uniform own a copy of Modern Warfare 3. Because the game crossed the billion dollar sales mark in only 16 days, clearly its marketing strategy is working. But none of that makes it okay, or mitigates its tastelessness. The advertisement trivializes combat and sanitizes war. If this were September 10, 2001, maybe it wouldn't be quite so bad. Those who are too young to remember Vietnam might indulge in combat fantasies of resting heart rates while rocket-propelled grenades whiz by, and of flinty glares while emptying a magazine into the enemy. But after ten years of constant war, of thousands of amputees and flag-draped coffins, of hundreds of grief-stricken communities, did nobody involved in this commercial raise a hand and say, "You know, this is probably a little crass. Maybe we could just show footage from the game."

This is not an argument against so-called shooter video games or depictions of war in popular culture. However, as Afghanistan intensifies and we assess the mental and physical damage to veterans of Iraq, is now really the time to sell the country on how much fun the whole enterprise is? (Here I point to the giddy howls of one supposed soldier in the commercial as he fires a grenade launcher at some off-screen combatant. War is great, see? It's like a gritty Disneyland.)

Earlier this month, Sergeant Timothy Gilboe, a soldier with 4th Brigade Combat Team of 10th Mountain Division, received a Silver Star for heroism in combat. While on a patrol in Afghanistan, his platoon was attacked by insurgents. A squad leader was killed, and an assistant machine gunner's rucksack (filled with ammunition) was hit and caught fire. As Sgt. Gilboe worked to smother the flames, insurgents charged the men.

Keep the stupidity of the Modern Warfare 3 commercial in mind as you consider what Timothy Gilboe did next. He didn't have time to pick up his weapon as an insurgent set upon him. According to the Army News Service:

Gilboe reached out and grabbed the barrel of the enemy's AK-47 and pulled it toward his chest, which was covered by an armor plate. He said the last thing that ran through his mind before the enemy pulled the trigger was "This is gonna hurt a lot."

Gilboe was knocked to the ground, wounded by shrapnel and trauma. He got up and fought and beat down the insurgent in hand-to-hand combat until a comrade could shoot the enemy dead. And Gilboe wasn't finished. He then directed a security perimeter, provided first aid to the wounded, and helped in the medical evacuation—all before he allowed anyone to treat his injuries.

Here's how the Modern Warfare 3 commercial ends. Two smug, A-list clowns strut toward the camera, rifles hanging over their shoulders, explosions consuming the city of New York, and then the words: "THERE'S A SOLDIER IN ALL OF US."

No, there's not.
  • A Tasty Burgerr
    ▄█▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀
    • Oct 2008

It is an entertaining advertisement, and to think that they had any intent of trying to downplay the achievements of soldiers which in this country is practically a punishable offense is stupid.

They might as well say the whole fucking game is offensive for dramatizing war.

Comment

• SethMode
      Master of Mysticism
      • Feb 2009

My thoughts were it's a commercial advertising for a video game when I saw the commercial.

All this story makes me think is "Oh great, more people that think video game players take gaming way more seriously than they actually do."

The tagline "There is a soldier in all of us" and the commercial are both silly, and I would bet pretty self-referential. We do the cool things that we do in video games because we aren't Gilboe, but if a game does it right sometimes we can feel that way without the fear and pain that soldiers have to endure. Those A-List clowns represent most gamers. To say that that somehow cheapens what soldiers do is pretty silly, just like it would be silly to say that The Expendables cheapens what soldiers can do.

End of the day though, people play these games for the rush and the fun. I would say normal people don't walk away afterwards thinking that if they were in a firefight they'd be as invincible as they are in the video game.

Comment

• Houston
        Back home
        • Oct 2008

That injury must have really messed up his head.

Comment

• Rylo
          Corpse Disgracer
          • Oct 2008

You would be shocked to see how many gamers who play these war games join the infantry in the Marines because they want to be badass. Hell, all the video game magazines and XBox Live advertise the Marines like it's sooooooo awesome.

Then once these idiots get in and see that it is NOTHING like the games, they fucking act like little faggots and go UA (unauthorized absence AKA run off like a BITCH) or they get into trouble purposely so they can get discharged.

Comment

• SethMode
            Master of Mysticism
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Rylo
            You would be shocked to see how many gamers who play these war games join the infantry in the Marines because they want to be badass. Hell, all the video game magazines and XBox Live advertise the Marines like it's sooooooo awesome.

Then once these idiots get in and see that it is NOTHING like the games, they fucking act like little faggots and go UA (unauthorized absence AKA run off like a BITCH) or they get into trouble purposely so they can get discharged.
            Hardly the games fault. Or the advertising's fault. In fact, I would say advertising the way that they did (with Jonah Hill for god's sake) is their nudge-nudge way of saying "Look guys, it's a game."

Comment

• Garrett67
              Glory Hole Monitor
              • Feb 2009

He looks SO much different after losing weight..

anyway, its a game.. nobody complains about movies with the same content

I mean, I understand what the guy went through in combat and I'm glad he made it out alive. He should be thankful and play some MW3

Comment

• Rylo
                Corpse Disgracer
                • Oct 2008

Completely the games fault.

These kids would NEVER have joined had it not been for the glorification of this shit. Me? I joined because of 9/11 straight up. Lost a couple friends who moved from Florida to NYC. As well as ALL lives lost.

These kids? They deny they joined because of the video games at first, saying they want to "fight for their country and go to combat". Then you pick at em' and little shit they say all points back to how they think it's so cool what they do in video games.

I love Battlefield and am not trying to shun Military/combat style video games, but the way it is glorified and advertised opens up recruiting especially for the kids to play these games.

Plus combat is not even like what is portrayed in the games. You do post, you go on patrols, you get shot at, you shoot back, you go back to base and sleep. Same shit every day.

Comment

• SethMode
                  Master of Mysticism
                  • Feb 2009

Completely the games fault.

These kids would NEVER have joined had it not been for the glorification of this shit. Me? I joined because of 9/11 straight up. Lost a couple friends who moved from Florida to NYC. As well as ALL lives lost.

These kids? They deny they joined because of the video games at first, saying they want to "fight for their country and go to combat". Then you pick at em' and little shit they say all points back to how they think it's so cool what they do in video games.

I love Battlefield and am not trying to shun Military/combat style video games, but the way it is glorified and advertised opens up recruiting especially for the kids to play these games.

Plus combat is not even like what is portrayed in the games. You do post, you go on patrols, you get shot at, you shoot back, you go back to base and sleep. Same shit every day.
                  So because a kid isn't smart enough to realize that being able to dexterously move joysticks around on a controller doesn't necessarily mean the military is for you, the game is at fault?

Better question: if it's so obvious these kids are joining up because of their love of video games, why is the military letting them in? Wouldn't that be something that might stand out on a psyche profile?

The fact of the matter is, at the end of the day if you can't separate reality from video games or video game advertisements, then you have a shit ton of other problems, the number one being a grip on what is "real" and what is "make believe".

Comment

• j.hen
                    Self Care
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by SethMode
                    The fact of the matter is, at the end of the day if you can't separate reality from video games or video game advertisements, then you have a shit ton of other problems, the number one being a grip on what is "real" and what is "make believe".

Comment

• Rylo
                      Corpse Disgracer
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by SethMode
                      So because a kid isn't smart enough to realize that being able to dexterously move joysticks around on a controller doesn't necessarily mean the military is for you, the game is at fault?

Better question: if it's so obvious these kids are joining up because of their love of video games, why is the military letting them in? Wouldn't that be something that might stand out on a psyche profile?

The military does not ask why you joined. The just run you through regular questions when you do your screening about mental health. And if a kid can't separate between reality and a game, sure it's his fault, but it is also the way it is advertised.

When you have been inside the military, and know how shit goes down, your point could potentially be valid. Until then, your point is completely moot as you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

EDIT: Also, if it IS brought up BEFORE signing any paperwork in a recruiters office that a kid is trying join infantry because he "thinks its cool" aka because of video games, he will be shut down as far as going that rout and will likely be put into a desk job.

Comment

• SethMode
                        Master of Mysticism
                        • Feb 2009

The military does not ask why you joined. The just run you through regular questions when you do your screening about mental health. And if a kid can't separate between reality and a game, sure it's his fault, but it is also the way it is advertised.

When you have been inside the military, and know how shit goes down, your point could potentially be valid. Until then, your point is completely moot as you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

EDIT: Also, if it IS brought up BEFORE signing any paperwork in a recruiters office that a kid is trying join infantry because he "thinks its cool" aka because of video games, he will be shut down as far as going that rout and will likely be put into a desk job.
                        Dude, I don't need to be inside of the military for my point to be valid. If you can't separate reality from virtual, you have larger problems and it's not a video games fault. Your argument is silly because all you're really saying is "I see these kids and they're messed up and it's the games fault" and it makes you sound like one of those coots that say games make kids kill people.

I have played games this year that have a) made me feel like a badass as I used parkour to scour the rooftops of Italy and jump and stab people in the neck that had it coming to them; b) made me feel like a badass as I grappled between buildings, used my cape to glide, and took on multiple escaped cons at once and beat the shit out of them with relative ease; and c) made me feel like a badass as I threw 102 mph fastballs past guys for a perfect game.

At no point did I a) think that I was capable of jumping between buildings as an assassin; b) consider dressing up like a bat and fighting crime; or c) fool myself into thinking that if I had really worked at it I could have been a Major League Baseball pitcher.

They are video games, their entire purpose is to allow us to play out the impossible. Don't blame games for doing what they're supposed to do. Blame the players for not being grounded enough to realize it.

Comment

• kmanharris
                          Seven
                          • Oct 2008

Fact: I loved that commercial

Fact: I bought MW3

Fiction: I had any urge to join the military.

Comment

• Rylo
                            Corpse Disgracer
                            • Oct 2008

Fact: Most of you are 21 and over and MATURE.

Fact: I am talking about certain KIDS (17ish).

Fiction: I am talking about everyone who plays. Also that it is all the games fault (me saying "completely the games fault" was trying to get my point across)

I have NO PROBLEM with the ads and campaigns, I am simply stating that a lot of KIDS joining have their reasons dating towards the ads. I also am in agreement if you can't distinguish real life from a video game then you have problems as well. I am just trying to say that the way they come across helps with them wanting to join and the Marines/Army take advantage of that with their own adds.

Comment

• Lanteri
                              No longer a noob
                              • Feb 2009

Fact: Most of you are 21 and over and MATURE.

Comment

Working...