X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TeflonDonny
    Deal....No Deal
    • Mar 2009

[ALL] Elder Scrolls Online

Elder Scrolls Online has just been announced, to the pretend shock of people who definitely didn’t already know that was happening. It’s being made by Zenimax Online Studios, the studio founded by Bethesda’s parent company to develop massively multiplayer games. There have been a lot of
    rumours that Elder Scrolls Online
    was going to be their first game, but this is the first time we’ve heard anything concrete.This will also be the first time the Elder Scrolls universe has been the setting for anything other than a singleplayer game. We know very little about it so far, though Game Informer have started to trickle out the details. So far they’ve revealed that it’s “set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.” The game will also include vast PvP conflicts between three factions, in which players will fight for the Emperor’s throne, as well as “solo questing” and “public dungeons”.Most exciting: the first teaser trailer is due to hit tomorrow morning. Read on for a bit more mad speculation.That still leaves a lot of questions unanswered. Will there be long queues to enter instanced oblivion gates? Will there be a crafting system that relies on every player stuffing hundreds of lettuces and calipers in their pockets? There’s bound to be more information in the coming weeks as everyone prepares for E3. And for now, we can stare at the image we made above and let our imaginations run wild.If you’re one of the many who aren’t yet done venturing through Skyrim though, try out our best Skyrim mods story.Are you excited at the chance to play a Skyrim-style game with your friends, or would you rather venture through Bethesda’s worlds on your own?
    Elder Scrolls Online has just been announced, to the pretend shock of people who definitely didn't already know that was happening. It's being made by Zenimax Online Studios, the studio founded by Bethesda's parent company to develop massively multiplayer games. There have been a lot of rumours that Elder Scrolls Online was going to be their first game, but this is the first time we've heard

• Leftwich
    Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Too scared to get into MMO's. Afraid they'll take over every part of my life.

Originally posted by Tailback U
    It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• MvP
      a member of vsn
      • Oct 2008

Yeah I'm gonna have to avoid this just to make sure I finish college, get a job, etc.

Comment

• Chrispy
        Needs a hobby
        • Dec 2008

I have no idea so don't laugh but is this going to be like skyrim?

Comment

• Garrett67
          Glory Hole Monitor
          • Feb 2009

I was just saying the other day that this game would be so much more fun if you could play it with someone.

I didn't read the article but I hope its not just for PC

Comment

• jms493
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Garrett67
            I was just saying the other day that this game would be so much more fun if you could play it with someone.

I didn't read the article but I hope its not just for PC
            It is an MMO.....PC and MAC only.

Comment

• Garrett67
              Glory Hole Monitor
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jms493
              It is an MMO.....PC and MAC only.
              I suppose if its good I could get it for Mac but I wouldn't pay a monthly fee

Comment

• Chrispy
                Needs a hobby
                • Dec 2008

The Elder Scrolls Online Details Emerge

The cover story of Game Informer's June issue provides a first look at ZeniMax Online Studios' The Elder Scrolls Online, revealing plenty of details about the anticipated project. Set 1000 years before the events of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls Online will span most of the continent of Tamriel, which includes more famous provinces like Skyrim, Cyrodiil and Morrowind. You'll be able to take on standard quests, dive into public dungeons and compete in an open players-versus-player combat system at the level cap for control of the Emperor's throne in Cyrodiil.

Starting off, you'll choose to play as one of three factions, each comprised of three of The Elder Scrolls' species. The Nords, Dark Elves and Argonians form the Ebonheart Pact, the High Elves, Wood Elves and Khajiit are bound together as the Aldmeri Dominion, and The Daggerfall Covenant includes the Bretons, Redguard and Orcs. Each faction will have unique questing content, so if you decide to replay as a different faction, you won't have to complete the exact same set of tasks all over again.

The game will be class-based, so you can't just jump in and start developing your character however you want like you can in Skyrim. ZeniMax Online isn't revealing the exact classes yet, but from the sounds of things there'll be a rogue-type class, a healer, a damage-focused caster, an archer and a fighter, all of which fit to some degree into the traditional healer / tank / damage-per-second categories of traditional MMOs, but ZeniMax Online stresses that though healing is a big part of the game, you won't necessarily need a dedicated healer to clear all group content.

Outside of combat you'll be able to tweak your skill bar, which determines your available abilities. Two of the skill slots will change depending on your equipped weapon, you can add in a few class-specific skills, and the final skill slot is an ultimate. Triggering your ultimate requires a certain reserve of finesse, which builds as you accomplish special tasks in battle. By working together with friendly players you can create skill combos, where a mage class can light an oil slick laid down by a rogue class on fire, or a fighter class can apparently spin kick fireballs from within a carpet of flame laid down by a mage. You can also perform special actions like interrupting casted spells or using shields, two-handed weapons or magic to block incoming attacks to build finesse, encouraging you to take advantage of advanced combat actions whenever possible.

For questing, ZeniMax Online will make use of phasing like in Blizzard's World of Warcraft, where the world around you will change after completing certain quest objectives. There'll be plenty to explore across Tamriel, encouraging you to search without specific quest goals and discover hidden caves and rewards. That being said, there'll still be plenty of structured content, including instanced dungeons as well as public dungeons, which will feature similar content but can be accessed by anyone.

For end game content you'll get heroic versions of instanced dungeons, raids, as well as an open world player versus player combat system. The three factions will fight for control of terrain surrounding the Imperial City in Cyrodiil. Across the province will be capturable forts, castles and farms, and you can either charge to the front lines of battle or hang back and fire siege weaponry to bust up the walls of some of the more heavily fortified capture points. Once your faction is into the Imperial City, you'll find the streets will be full of enemies, and once the roads are cleared a new emperor will be crowed based on which player contributed most to the war effort. Your faction's success in Cyrodiil's PvP areas will confer faction-wide bonuses, but being crowned emperor will simply be for personal pride, and will not reward some god-like temporary power or items.

The familiar guilds of The Elder Scrolls, including the Dark Brotherhood, Fighters Guild, Thieves Guild and Mages Guild, will all be in the game, but ZeniMax Online isn't talking about all of them quite yet. At least for the Fighters and Mages Guilds you'll be able to perform tasks in the world to boost reputation and eventually unlock rewards in the form of abilities. As you quest and level you'll be able to craft items and acquire mounts, but you won't be able to own property. ZeniMax Online also mentioned that while werewolves and vampires are in the game, you can't actually transform into either of those creatures.

While Bethesda Game Studios, the developer of the single-player Elder Scrolls games, is not creating The Elder Scrolls Online, they are consulting on aspects such as lore accuracy. Aside from that, though, all decisions about content creation are being handled within ZeniMax Online Studios.

Comment

• Golden Taters
                  RIP West
                  • Jul 2009

Fighting isn't in real-time; only on PC. Meh.

Comment

• Champ
                    Needs a hobby
                    • Oct 2008

Comment

• jms493
                      • Feb 2009

What I am hearing is that this game has been in development since 2007. Now MMOs have changed a lot since then. Will this feel like the same ole same ole MMO BS or will they have a new take on shit. Also will it ever be free to play like so many MMOs are moving towards.

Comment

• Leftwich
                        Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/11/08...gameplay-video"/>

Ten Minutes of gameplay.

Originally posted by Tailback U
                        It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• Maynard
                          stupid ass titles
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Leftwich
                          http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/11/08...gameplay-video"/>

Ten Minutes of gameplay.
                          it looks cool, but MMO have always been disappointing to me. the rpg elements are toned down so you dont feel like you are building the player. i hate how these mmorpgs will have the auto building system where you level up and your skills are auto leveled as well. or you can gain buffs by wearing certain items. the biggest draw to rpg is leveling and building your players how you want. not by some mmo system these games all have in place.

quests always seem rather generic..so lifeless. fetch quests galore. plus you pay 60 for a game and a monthly fee. At least guild wars didnt have a monthly fee. but everyone is trying to make the next WOW game and none seem to be able to

i would much rather have a game like skyrim with a coop system for 4 players

Comment

• killgod
                            OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                            • Oct 2008

but skyrim + 4 players takes more time/money to develop...at no additional revenue.

making an mmo = revenue.

There's lots of things gamers would rather have, but gaming corps aren't charities.

Comment

• DoubleDeuce
                              Spellin' n' shit
                              • Feb 2009

I for one am not gonna be playing this. I've tried playing MMOs but they just aren't my cup of tea.

Just like I wish they would've made KOTOR 3 instead of The Old Republic mmo

Comment

Working...