Elder Scrolls Online

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

For someone that has not played Skyrim, what makes this so similar?

Also, while it is somewhat different from traditional MMOs (I have yet to come across a mission where I have to kill "x" number of enemies, or collect "x" number of items) it is still an MMO, and if you aren't a fan of either the genre or the story, it's not going to be for you. Especially if you have to pay a subscription.

I will also say that, like The Old Republic, I expect that in 1.5 years that ESO will have a free-to-play option. I just don't see it having the WoW sustainability, unless they have the in-game content to keep the traditional MMO players around. Obviously we aren't going to see that in a beta.

Comment

• Garrett67
      Glory Hole Monitor
      • Feb 2009

I will just say that it's not just the few of us here that doesn't really like it. Was just reading the thread at OS and the game is not getting much love there either.

Granted, it's a beta but I'm sure it's not too unlike the regular game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Prop

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Garrett67
        I will just say that it's not just the few of us here that doesn't really like it. Was just reading the thread at OS and the game is not getting much love there either.

Granted, it's a beta but I'm sure it's not too unlike the regular game.

In reading some of the in-game comments from people, this is also the first time they've had the voices for characters enabled. They keep adding features and trying to test the server limit. The graphics, basic attack play and area layouts are for sure going to be the same. Right now they are working on tweaking balancing between classes, new features and being able to support large amounts of gamers.

Don't get me wrong, I am still not sure I am going to get it and pay a sub, since I am subscribing to the Old Republic still, so don't take this as massive support for the game. This is actually my first experience with this franchise, so that's why I asked that question.

Comment

• Maynard
          stupid ass titles
          • Feb 2009

everything about is just like skyrim. the only thing they really changed is the look of the menus and how you obtain powers. Passive skills are no longer in a branching tree, they are now combined with the specific powers you can use in the game. in skyrim, you just bought a tome to use a power and passive skills were setup in about 10 different branching trees. They really have limited the powers I can use as a mage obviously to balance the game, but it really takes away from the game imo.

other than that its basically the same. the story of a prisoner who gets released and now is the chosen one to find a way to stop the evil power. Mix in a variety of BS quests along your path.

The text, the dialog choices all look the same. graphically it looks the same. Character building is nearly identical too. Having hordes of people running around doesnt help either. Whats the point of having an MMO if you dont need to hook up with anyone? maybe that stuff is coming, but for now it really really takes away from the mystique of the world. Combat is identical to Skyrim too.

i was expecting a fresh feeling game that was built on skyrims foundation of greatness. this game doesnt feel fresh at all. it feels like an add on to a great game, but it came out 2 year to late

btw, thomas if you have not player skyrim then you should forget about ESO and go buy skyrim right now

Comment

• Maynard
            stupid ass titles
            • Feb 2009

the wait times suck too. i love how it goes from 14 mins to 33 minutes to wait. once you are in you better stay in

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
              • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Maynard
              everything about is just like skyrim. the only thing they really changed is the look of the menus and how you obtain powers. Passive skills are no longer in a branching tree, they are now combined with the specific powers you can use in the game. in skyrim, you just bought a tome to use a power and passive skills were setup in about 10 different branching trees. They really have limited the powers I can use as a mage obviously to balance the game, but it really takes away from the game imo.

other than that its basically the same. the story of a prisoner who gets released and now is the chosen one to find a way to stop the evil power. Mix in a variety of BS quests along your path.

The text, the dialog choices all look the same. graphically it looks the same. Character building is nearly identical too. Having hordes of people running around doesnt help either. Whats the point of having an MMO if you dont need to hook up with anyone? maybe that stuff is coming, but for now it really really takes away from the mystique of the world. Combat is identical to Skyrim too.

i was expecting a fresh feeling game that was built on skyrims foundation of greatness. this game doesnt feel fresh at all. it feels like an add on to a great game, but it came out 2 year to late

btw, thomas if you have not player skyrim then you should forget about ESO and go buy skyrim right now
              They do have the guild and friend lists set up, but my guess is they are not active yet. That should be coming, no way can you release an MMO and not have those items. The hardcore users would never be there. If the rest of what you are saying is true, then I am not sure how the game is going to be released. That just seems cheesy and a quick way to make some money off the heels of another game.

Comment

• Garrett67
                Glory Hole Monitor
                • Feb 2009

Like Swarley said, it's Skyrim online.

Remember The Sims online? Same thing basically. There is interaction and chat. It's a place for lonely people

Comment

• OnlyOneBeerLeft
                  Fuck em
                  • Oct 2008

just said 52 min wait time for me to login? added me to a queue? fuck that

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                    • Sep 2024

Originally posted by OnlyOneBeerLeft
                    just said 52 min wait time for me to login? added me to a queue? fuck that
                    Seems that they gave away a bunch of beta keys to max the server, and people are sticking around. If any of you get in, I suggest not logging out or anything.

Comment

• Maynard
                      stupid ass titles
                      • Feb 2009

yeah i am not loggin out today. i waited in the que and the finally i was at my charecter screen. enjoying it a bit more today. I do like the updated compass. instead of just having all the markers like Skyrim, they now added a hover feature to pop up text that tells you what those markers are for. nice little addition

i also see they added some changing weather today. game is running extremely stable

Comment

• Garrett67
                        Glory Hole Monitor
                        • Feb 2009

Dammit, I'll go log in

Comment

• Garrett67
                          Glory Hole Monitor
                          • Feb 2009

1 hour, 5 mins.

I hope it logs me it automatically after that time because I'm walking away from it now

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                            • Sep 2024

Not worth waiting, since I have to leave at 3:30. I will be trying later tonight, and I have off tomorrow so I'll try to make it in then.

Comment

• Maynard
                              stupid ass titles
                              • Feb 2009

how long does this beta last?

some of these quests are boring. typical fetch quests. been able to explore the entire island. very small compared to skyrim. iwould imagine thats just for the beta. i still have not seen 1 quest that would need guilds or multiple people to complete.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                                • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Maynard
                                how long does this beta last?

some of these quests are boring. typical fetch quests. been able to explore the entire island. very small compared to skyrim. iwould imagine thats just for the beta. i still have not seen 1 quest that would need guilds or multiple people to complete.
                                Until 11:59 PM tomorrow. The island is just the first area you explore. After the main quest, you go to a different area. That's where I left off.

Comment

Working...