X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RyanLeaf16
    #DoSomething
    • Feb 2009

[PS3] Need some game recommendations

OK, I am primarily a sports-gamer only. Other than the Uncharted series, I usually just play Madden, NCAA, College Hoops 2K8 and FIFA. However, with Madden just being brutal this year, I am really only playing FIFA right now and I am looking to find some games that might garner my interest. I am hoping VSN can make some recommendations for PS3 games and stuff I can DL off of the Playstation Store.

Like I said before, I really enjoyed the Uncharted series due to the storytelling aspect. I am not big on stuff like Final Fantasy. Because of that, I think I would have interest in different third-person shooter games, first person shooters. I may even enjoy a RPG game, just not one like a Final Fantasy or something related to it. Can anyone provide some recommendations on maybe what games I might want to try? I definitely would like to expand my game library.
    Maddon & Friedman: Pissing off the AL East since 2008
  • Chrispy
    Needs a hobby
    • Dec 2008

Assassin's Creed 3, comes out 8 days.

Comment

• Realist
      • Mar 2009

Subscribing to this thread cause I'm looking for games too

Comment

• killgod
        OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Chrispy
        Assassin's Creed 3, comes out 8 days.
        The whole AC series is excellent. First one is a little rough around the edges, but whole series is a winner.

Mass Effect 2 would be a great game to play. No need to play the first one if you don't want to, there's a comic style tool to give you a quick go of the 1st game story and allow you to choose some outcomes. If you enjoy, then get the 3rd one. It's an RPG, but all the action is shooting guns....and there's lots of it.

Grand Theft Auto 4 should be cheap to get if you never played it.

Comment

• killgod
          OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
          • Oct 2008

Some more suggestions...

Bioshock 1 and 2

May Payne 3.

Check the "Arcade/PSN" thread for suggestions on smaller/cheaper titles. Outland comes to mind as a pretty cool game.

Comment

• Maynard
            stupid ass titles
            • Feb 2009

there are so many great games that are way better than sports games. sports gamers dont seem to realize this.

all you really need to do is goto a site like gamespot or ign and sort the reviews by high score. those games are basically cant miss.

here are some of the ps3 games that came up

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
            Grand Theft Auto IV
            Red Dead Redemption
            The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
            Mass Effect 2
            Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
            Batman: Arkham City
            Portal 2
            Fallout 3
            BioShock
            God of War III
            Infamous

everyone one of these games is great...dave says Red Dead is $15. the clipity clop alone is worth 15 bucks

Comment

• MrBill
              Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
              • Feb 2009

Borderlands 2 is the best game out right now. We have a strong group of guys playing on both consoles. AC III will be a must check out next week and Call of Duty Black Ops II should be a pretty strong game when it comes out in a month.

Comment

• killgod
                OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Maynard
                there are so many great games that are way better than sports games. sports gamers dont seem to realize this.
                /offtopic

I think sports gamers don't view sports games and other video games the same. Sports games are more mainstream, socially expected and accepted.

Killing dragons and shit, is not viewed the same. It's not as if it's not realized, more so they play sports titles because they love sports, not games.

Not that I disagree with your point.

/offtopic

Comment

• Chrispy
                  Needs a hobby
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by killgod
                  /offtopic

I think sports gamers don't view sports games and other video games the same. Sports games are more mainstream, socially expected and accepted.

Killing dragons and shit, is not viewed the same. It's not as if it's not realized, more so they play sports titles because they love sports, not games.

Not that I disagree with your point.

/offtopic
                  I'm kind of that way, never got into the halo, wow games, but i did play skyrim and loved it. But mostly I just play sports games.

Comment

• Maynard
                    stupid ass titles
                    • Feb 2009

funny thing about sports gamers who say they dont like RPG....sports games are rpg. you play in one of these madden leagues, you play the role of team owner and manage all aspects of the team...u play in one of those cookie cutter road to the show modes and your building your player from birth to retirement. its the same concept as an any rpg

i used to only play sports games...then i woke up. now i hardly play any sports games at all

Comment

• Twigg4075
                      Kindergarten Cop
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by RyanLeaf16
                      OK, I am primarily a sports-gamer only. Other than the Uncharted series, I usually just play Madden, NCAA, College Hoops 2K8 and FIFA. However, with Madden just being brutal this year, I am really only playing FIFA right now and I am looking to find some games that might garner my interest. I am hoping VSN can make some recommendations for PS3 games and stuff I can DL off of the Playstation Store.

Like I said before, I really enjoyed the Uncharted series due to the storytelling aspect. I am not big on stuff like Final Fantasy. Because of that, I think I would have interest in different third-person shooter games, first person shooters. I may even enjoy a RPG game, just not one like a Final Fantasy or something related to it. Can anyone provide some recommendations on maybe what games I might want to try? I definitely would like to expand my game library.
                      You actually sounds like me from 10-15 years ago. All I played were basically sports games and I also don't like Final Fantasy. Ha.

But really, I could post a list as long as your arm. You're just on PS3 correct? Just to start you off, like others have said, Assassin's Creed is a must.

KG mentioned a great downloadable which is Outland. Awesome game. And Maynard mentioned Red Dead, amongst others. That game is fucking awesome.

As far as RPgs that aren't of the Japanese variety like FF, Kingdoms of Amalur is supposed to be really good and you should be able to find it very cheap. The combat is about as good as any action game and the quests and missions will keep you busy for hours upon hours.

If you don't have PS+ yet you might want to look into signing up. For less than the price of ONE retail game you'll automatically get an "Instant Game Collection" and they release more free shit all the time. You might be able to satiate your gaming needs just with that.

Comment

• jms493
                        • Feb 2009

just get Borderlands 2 and forget out life.

Comment

• SethMode
                          Master of Mysticism
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                          You actually sounds like me from 10-15 years ago. All I played were basically sports games and I also don't like Final Fantasy. Ha.

But really, I could post a list as long as your arm. You're just on PS3 correct? Just to start you off, like others have said, Assassin's Creed is a must.

KG mentioned a great downloadable which is Outland. Awesome game. And Maynard mentioned Red Dead, amongst others. That game is fucking awesome.

As far as RPgs that aren't of the Japanese variety like FF, Kingdoms of Amalur is supposed to be really good and you should be able to find it very cheap. The combat is about as good as any action game and the quests and missions will keep you busy for hours upon hours.

If you don't have PS+ yet you might want to look into signing up. For less than the price of ONE retail game you'll automatically get an "Instant Game Collection" and they release more free shit all the time. You might be able to satiate your gaming needs just with that.
                          Yeah, if you're wanting to hit up some non sports games, PS+ is an absolute must.

My personal contribution as far as stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet would be the Ratchet & Clank games (all 3 PS3 ones are great -- well, Quest for Booty is maybe better described as "good"). Action games with a lot of replayability, some genuinely funny dialogue, and gorgeous graphics.

Comment

• JBregz
                            Follow me! @JBregzz
                            • Nov 2008

Honestly start off with Metal Gear Solid or God Of War III. Two timeless PS3 games that is basically the epitome of the system.
                            Then work your way into the games with sequels and what not such as Infamous, Assassins Creed, etc.

Follow me on twitter @JBregzz
                            Follow me on twitch bitch http://www.twitch.tv/jbregz/
                            Redskins TGT Scheduling Thread http://www.virtualsportsnetwork.com/...eduling-Thread

Comment

• JayDizzle
                              Let's Go All The Way...
                              • Nov 2008

For the most game for your dollar, look into getting any of the recent collection series' for the system.

The God of War Saga has all 5 of the most recent GoW games from the original to PS3's God of War III to even the two PSP GoW games uprezzed to console quality.

The inFamous Collection has the two PS3 games plus the Festival of Blood DLC which has gotten great reviews as well.

The Jak and Daxter Collection has all 3 PS2 games uprezzed and trophy-added so you can relive your olden days with the duo while filling your coffers with Bronze, Silver, Gold and easily obtained Platinum

The Sly Cooper Collection has all 3 PS2 titles from the series, with again, trophies, if you're into that stuff.

The Killzone Collection is coming out soon, if not this week, and bundles all three of the series with all the MP DLC included so you can participate in the fruitless space war with your friends online.

Comment

Working...