X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IamMedellin
    Everything Burns...
    • Nov 2008

[PS3] PS3 hacked yet again, with PSN access

How poetic is it that less than day after Sony is cleared of almost any wrongdoings in the PSN hack, the PS3 is hacked to bits. In what could only be described as the ultimate hack, the hacking community has released a version of PS3 firmware that can now give modders access to PSN. The catch is that you have to be running firmware version 3.55 or lower to be able to mount this custom firmware. Version 3.6 made it incredibly difficult for anyone to hack the PS3 in its current state. That means we might see a lot more hacked PS3s gaming online, but this isn’t the bad news though…

The bad news is, after this firmware was released free to the public, another team of hackers called the “The Three Tusketeers” have released the LV0 decryption key for the PS3. This means that once the firmware is mounted, hackers can decrypt any new updates that Sony might try to send to the console. Even if Sony tries to change passphrase, hackers can repackage the new updates as ver. 3.55 and run the new features on the hacked console. The Tusketeers had apparently been sitting on this key for some time, but didn’t want to release it before the custom firmware was made public. That way no one would profit from their hard work. So today is a bad day for PlayStation.
    Watch wild gameplay, creative animation, and hilarious podcasts on Rooster Teeth.

Sony is waking up to a new PlayStation 3 security nightmare after a day in which a brand new, PSN-enabled custom firmwa…

Find in-depth gaming news and hands-on reviews of the latest video games, video consoles and accessories.

Sony is waking up to a new PlayStation 3 security nightmare after a day in which a brand new, PSN-enabled custom firmware was released for hacked consoles, swiftly followed up by publication of the console's LV0 decryption keys - which some say blows the system wide open.

We've been here before of course. Over two years ago, the first piracy-enabling firmware and USB dongle combo - PSJailbreak was released, which exploited a weakness in the PS3's USB protocols, allowing for the system software to be patched in order to run copied software running from hard disk. This was followed up some time later by the release of tools from hacker group fail0verflow, which allowed users to encrypt files for the system in the same way that Sony does, allowing for a new wave of piracy. Geohot's public release of the "metldr" root key also added to the challenges facing Sony, resulting in a messy legal battle.

The firm's response - firmware 3.60 - plugged many of the holes, neatly working around the entire root key problem, and even with the release of the new custom firmware, any console running system software 3.60 or higher is effectively locked out. Only hacked consoles, or those still running 3.55 or lower can run the new code unless expensive, difficult-to-install hardware downgrade devices are utilised on older hardware.

Despite the effectiveness of firmware 3.60, PS3 has still had to contend with piracy issues, notably the JB2/TrueBlue dongle, but this hack still locked consoles to 3.55 and stopped compromised consoles gaining access to PSN - until recently at least, where the "passphrase" security protocol protecting PSN was leaked, giving hacked consoles full access to the service.

The release of the new custom firmware - and the LV0 decryption keys in particular - poses serious issues. While Sony will almost certainly change the PSN passphrase once again in the upcoming 4.30 update, the reveal of the LV0 key basically means that any system update released by Sony going forward can be decrypted with little or no effort whatsoever. Options Sony has in battling this leak are limited - every PS3 out there needs to be able to decrypt any firmware download package in order for the console to be updated (a 2006 launch PS3 can still update directly to the latest software). The release of the LV0 key allows for that to be achieved on PC, with the CoreOS and XMB files then re-encrypted using the existing 3.55 keys in order to be run on hacked consoles.

So just how did LV0 come to be released at all? The original hackers who first found the master key - calling themselves "The Three Tuskateers" - apparently sat on its discovery for some time. However, the information leaked and ended up being the means by which a new Chinese hacking outfit - dubbed "BlueDiskCFW" planned to charge for and release new custom firmware updates. To stop these people profiteering from their work, the "Muskateers" released the LV0 key and within 24 hours, a free CFW update was released.

"You can be sure that if it wouldn't have been for this leak, this key would never have seen the light of day, only the fear of our work being used by others to make money out of it has forced us to release this now," a statement from the hacker group says.

We have approached Sony for comment.

• SethMode
    Master of Mysticism
    • Feb 2009

Fucking hackers man. Just can't leave us alone.

Comment

• Rudi
      #CyCueto
      • Nov 2008

ffs man

Comment

• krulmichael
        STRAAAAANGE MUSIC!
        • Feb 2009

Bring in the 360 fanboys.

Twitch Channel
        http://www.twitch.tv/krulmichael20

Season I: 10-6 (NFC North Champions)
        Season II: 9-7 (NFC North Champions)
        Season III: 13-3 (NFC Champions)
        Season IV: 11-5 (NFC North Champions)
        Season V: 2-1

Comment

• Maynard
          stupid ass titles
          • Feb 2009

the only thing that bothers me about this is the Chinese hacking group BlueDiskCFW...anytime china is into something i worry about the bigger picture. While those commie fucks are doing who knows what and training people on how to hack anything, we are off borrowing trillions from them and teaching our people how to be bigger morons.

aside from that i dont see how this affects the legit users of psn...its not like credit cards were exposed this time. its just pirates getting to play games for free.

Comment

• padman59
            Slayer of Demons
            • Mar 2009

Now I'm definitely not playing with randoms on Borderlands 2.

Comment

• SethMode
              Master of Mysticism
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
              the only thing that bothers me about this is the Chinese hacking group BlueDiskCFW...anytime china is into something i worry about the bigger picture. While those commie fucks are doing who knows what and training people on how to hack anything, we are off borrowing trillions from them and teaching our people how to be bigger morons.

aside from that i dont see how this affects the legit users of psn...its not like credit cards were exposed this time. its just pirates getting to play games for free.
              While I understand your overall point, pirating affects every gamer.

Comment

• Maynard
                stupid ass titles
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
                While I understand your overall point, pirating affects every gamer.
                im not sure i agree. i dont see it affecting legit people other than than updates. psn does enough updates so a few more for pirating isnt something we would notice. 360 gives hardly any updates. I dont know why psn does so many and 360 doesnt.

but game pricing has not been affected. the $60 price point has been the same since these next gen consoles came out. PC pirates do hurt the PC community because fewer companies make pc games now...but consoles are different imo

how do you feel it affects every gamer?

Comment

• SethMode
                  Master of Mysticism
                  • Feb 2009

im not sure i agree. i dont see it affecting legit people other than than updates. psn does enough updates so a few more for pirating isnt something we would notice. 360 gives hardly any updates. I dont know why psn does so many and 360 doesnt.

but game pricing has not been affected. the $60 price point has been the same since these next gen consoles came out. PC pirates do hurt the PC community because fewer companies make pc games now...but consoles are different imo

how do you feel it affects every gamer?
                  Basically because it has destroyed the PC gaming market (like you said). They are finding ways to fix that, via Steam, but regardless I don't want to see the console market end up like the PC one, and if pirating becomes easier for console gamers, then one could assume it inevitably will.

And that is ignoring the moral point that pirating is wrong. These guys bust their asses to make new products and when people just steal them, it's fucking wrong. The fact that it creates a bunch of jaded developers that feel less reason to be creative, while important, is really a bi-product of the fact that it's disgusting that people are so okay with literally stealing from someone else and justifying it.

Comment

• Maynard
                    stupid ass titles
                    • Feb 2009

Basically because it has destroyed the PC gaming market (like you said). They are finding ways to fix that, via Steam, but regardless I don't want to see the console market end up like the PC one, and if pirating becomes easier for console gamers, then one could assume it inevitably will.
                    idk, pirating has been around alot longer than this gen. everyone i knew on ps2 had a modded console they bought from canada. they would rent games and use dvd burners to copy them and everyone got a copy. idk if the original xbox was like that, but i think it was so much easier to pirate on ps2 than ps3 simply because the ps3 has much more advanced security and now the discs have their own security too. I dont see the console market going the route of PC because console games and consoles are not easy to pirate for the average user. PC games are basically idiot proof when it comes to pirating.

And that is ignoring the moral point that pirating is wrong. These guys bust their asses to make new products and when people just steal them, it's fucking wrong. The fact that it creates a bunch of jaded developers that feel less reason to be creative, while important, is really a bi-product of the fact that it's disgusting that people are so okay with literally stealing from someone else and justifying it.
                    this part...its a personal opinion. whats morally right or wrong to one person is not the same for someone else. if its a question of laws...well, everyone decides which laws they choose to break. its not a question of morality when it comes to having an effect on every gamer..imo

Comment

• SethMode
                      Master of Mysticism
                      • Feb 2009

idk, pirating has been around alot longer than this gen. everyone i knew on ps2 had a modded console they bought from canada. they would rent games and use dvd burners to copy them and everyone got a copy. idk if the original xbox was like that, but i think it was so much easier to pirate on ps2 than ps3 simply because the ps3 has much more advanced security and now the discs have their own security too. I dont see the console market going the route of PC because console games and consoles are not easy to pirate for the average user. PC games are basically idiot proof when it comes to pirating.

this part...its a personal opinion. whats morally right or wrong to one person is not the same for someone else. if its a question of laws...well, everyone decides which laws they choose to break. its not a question of morality when it comes to having an effect on every gamer..imo
                      It affects every gamer because it damages the creativity of the designer/developer because they know how easy it is to do, and how many people are willing to do it. How long it has been happening is neither here nor there. Gaming is a young industry that is already feeling the pressure of piracy which is why you see all the sequels that you yourself bitch about. Iteration is cheaper than creating a new IP, and in a world where you have to assume people will pirate, why not iterate? You'll still make money, despite people stealing from you (and you'll certainly make more money than you would off of a new IP).

Which leads me to your latter point. Moral relativism is for douchebags, assholes, and in this case, thieves. Don't sling me this nonsense about how piracy isn't morally wrong. A person either spent their own money, or was given money, to create a product, and people that pirate it are then stealing that product. It's called piracy for a reason. Is it somehow different because you're stealing something from the internet instead of walking into a store and taking something from the shelf? Piracy is stealing. Stealing is morally wrong, regardless of what legal system you're working in.

Comment

• Villain
                        [REDACTED]
                        • May 2011

I understand the piracy worries, but the PS4 is just around the corner. I wouldn't worry too much about this one.
                        [REDACTED]

Comment

• EmpireWF
                          Giants in the Super Bowl
                          • Mar 2009

So what's all this mean? Download the update on PSN and alls cool?

Comment

• SethMode
                            Master of Mysticism
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Villain
                            I understand the piracy worries, but the PS4 is just around the corner. I wouldn't worry too much about this one.
                            Not to beat a dead horse here but, if you get the piracy worry, why would you think that PS4 being around the corner would fix it?

Comment

• Villain
                              [REDACTED]
                              • May 2011

Not to beat a dead horse here but, if you get the piracy worry, why would you think that PS4 being around the corner would fix it?
                              Entirely different system with an entirely different puzzle for the hackers to need to solve. If this had happened in the first or second year of the PS3s lifespan then maybe it might've been a bigger blow. Sony has already made their money from the PS3, it's on its way out now.
                              [REDACTED]

Comment

Working...