X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twigg4075
    Kindergarten Cop
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
    the only thing that bothers me about this is the Chinese hacking group BlueDiskCFW...anytime china is into something i worry about the bigger picture. While those commie fucks are doing who knows what and training people on how to hack anything, we are off borrowing trillions from them and teaching our people how to be bigger morons.

aside from that i dont see how this affects the legit users of psn...its not like credit cards were exposed this time. its just pirates getting to play games for free.
    I agree. While this sucks major balls, it doesn't directly effect me so... If it just means a bunch of cheaters can play online? What's new?

Comment

• SethMode
      Master of Mysticism
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Villain
      Entirely different system with an entirely different puzzle for the hackers to need to solve. If this had happened in the first or second year of the PS3s lifespan then maybe it might've been a bigger blow. Sony has already made their money from the PS3, it's on its way out now.
      This isn't about the "blow" to Sony though. I'm not sure where the disconnect is here. Piracy is bad and I don't see why a new system would mean less piracy, and if you get that, I don't see why the PS4 is relevant. The piracy on the PS3 is every bit as relevant as the sales on the PS3 to Sony when it comes to the PS4.

Comment

• padman59
        Slayer of Demons
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
        So what's all this mean? Download the update on PSN and alls cool?
        No. According to the articles, the decryption keys that were compromised would allow for new firmware updates to be cracked eventually.

Comment

• Twigg4075
          Kindergarten Cop
          • Feb 2009

Piracy in the video games world is the worst. If these clowns would put half the effort they do into pirating into something productive, like game design maybe, this world would be a much better place.

Comment

• Derrville
            Dallas has no coaching...
            • Jul 2009

Id care if my 2nd PS3 in 2 months wasnt dead and awaiting repairs.

Comment

• SethMode
              Master of Mysticism
              • Feb 2009

Put it another way:

Sony now has to spend more creative energy protecting against pirates in the PS4. That will likely, like shoe-horned multiplayer, come at the cost of something else. Piracy runs deep and affects many aspects of game design, development, and production, so I just don't get the "Oh well" approach that some gamers have.

Comment

• PP
                • Feb 2010

i will be copying some games and installing this fw.

Comment

• Maynard
                  stupid ass titles
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
                  Which leads me to your latter point. Moral relativism is for douchebags, assholes, and in this case, thieves. Don't sling me this nonsense about how piracy isn't morally wrong. A person either spent their own money, or was given money, to create a product, and people that pirate it are then stealing that product. It's called piracy for a reason. Is it somehow different because you're stealing something from the internet instead of walking into a store and taking something from the shelf? Piracy is stealing. Stealing is morally wrong, regardless of what legal system you're working in.
                  your opinion is not fact seth. your moral values do not represent those of the rest of the world. your entitled to your opinion, and your beliefs are your beliefs.

i can point to things like downloading music...or recording a burned cd or coping a movie to a video tape. thats all copyright infringement and identical to pirating

It affects every gamer because it damages the creativity of the designer/developer because they know how easy it is to do, and how many people are willing to do it. How long it has been happening is neither here nor there. Gaming is a young industry that is already feeling the pressure of piracy which is why you see all the sequels that you yourself bitch about. Iteration is cheaper than creating a new IP, and in a world where you have to assume people will pirate, why not iterate? You'll still make money, despite people stealing from you (and you'll certainly make more money than you would off of a new IP).
                  its easy to pirate a game on the consoles? ive checked, its rather complicated and a pain in the ass. gaming has been around about 35 years. idk how thats young.

developers dont make new IP's because they cost to much to produce. at the same time they run the risk of it being a failure. Thats why they make sequels. they can design an engine and re use it 5 or 6 times by making modifications to it...ala COD and madden. its naive to think devs make sequels because they fear pirates. EA has been using the repeat model for 20 years and as the cost of development has gone up, other companies have followed suit. its about being profitable in an increasing expanding market

Comment

• Villain
                    [REDACTED]
                    • May 2011

This isn't about the "blow" to Sony though. I'm not sure where the disconnect is here. Piracy is bad and I don't see why a new system would mean less piracy, and if you get that, I don't see why the PS4 is relevant. The piracy on the PS3 is every bit as relevant as the sales on the PS3 to Sony when it comes to the PS4.
                    The PS3 was out for 6 years before hackers have become successful in not only breaking into the system but being able to break in and still be able to use the PSN. When the new PS4 comes out, the hackers could very well take another 6 years to make the PS4 pirate-friendly. 6 years of limited-to-no game piracy will not hurt the console market.

Yes, this sucks for Sony and game developers that this hack has gone public, but it would've been much worse had this happened without a new system already on the horizon.
                    [REDACTED]

Comment

• SethMode
                      Master of Mysticism
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
                      your opinion is not fact seth. your moral values do not represent those of the rest of the world. your entitled to your opinion, and your beliefs are your beliefs.

i can point to things like downloading music...or recording a burned cd or coping a movie to a video tape. thats all copyright infringement and identical to pirating

its easy to pirate a game on the consoles? ive checked, its rather complicated and a pain in the ass. gaming has been around about 35 years. idk how thats young.

developers dont make new IP's because they cost to much to produce. at the same time they run the risk of it being a failure. Thats why they make sequels. they can design an engine and re use it 5 or 6 times by making modifications to it...ala COD and madden. its naive to think devs make sequels because they fear pirates. EA has been using the repeat model for 20 years and as the cost of development has gone up, other companies have followed suit. its about being profitable in an increasing expanding market
                      It is morally wrong to steal, right? We can agree on that? Your analogy to stealing music just drives the point home. Stealing music is also wrong. Pirating is called pirating because it is STEALING FROM SOMEONE. I didn't realize that this would be a point of contention here.

As for the rest, I think that fear of pirates generates a LOT of fear in new creation. We can agree to disagree on this, but just look at the numbers on new/iterative movies as piracy increases. Of course it makes more sense to them in an expanding market to take the safe way out. It also makes more sense to take the safe way out because pirating exists.

To Villain: I think there is a big difference between now and the launch of the PS3. And I'm not sure what we're arguing about here, to be honest. I think this is bad for Sony regardless, and terrible for the industry as well. Hackers could take another 6 years to make the PS4 pirate-friendly, but that is beside my point of the fact that now Sony has to worry about pirates in general when designing everything.

I never spoke to this hack in particular, I just hate hackers and pirates in general because they ruin it for everyone that isn't just looking for a free ride.

Comment

• 1ke
                        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
                        • Mar 2009

Wow.... How does this shit keep happening to the PS3 owners.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Villain
                          [REDACTED]
                          • May 2011

To Villain: I think there is a big difference between now and the launch of the PS3. And I'm not sure what we're arguing about here, to be honest.
                          Let me remind you (paraphrasing).

You think: "this hack and ensuing piracy of games will kill console gaming much in the same way that PC gaming was killed."

I think: "since this hack happened with the PS4 already on the way, it will not kill console gaming"
                          [REDACTED]

Comment

• Twigg4075
                            Kindergarten Cop
                            • Feb 2009

Put it another way:

Sony now has to spend more creative energy protecting against pirates in the PS4. That will likely, like shoe-horned multiplayer, come at the cost of something else. Piracy runs deep and affects many aspects of game design, development, and production, so I just don't get the "Oh well" approach that some gamers have.
                            I compare piracy to shoplifting.Besides the obvios theft comparison. When someone steals from Walmart, Walmart then has to hire lossprevention personnel to try to curb the problem. But even they don't catch everything. So where do those additional funds come from to cover the security andalso the lossof property? The consumer of course. Instead of paying $10 for that three-pack of tighty whiteys, they are now $12. That bottle of delicious Mt Dew Code Red that was .99 cents last week? $1.49 now.

Comment

• Villain
                              [REDACTED]
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by 1ke
                              Wow.... How does this shit keep happening to the PS3 owners.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
                              Nothing is happening to PS3 owners except that some are getting the ability to play free games.
                              [REDACTED]

Comment

• SethMode
                                Master of Mysticism
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Villain
                                Let me remind you (paraphrasing).

You think: "this hack and ensuing piracy of games will kill console gaming much in the same way that PC gaming was killed."

I think: "since this hack happened with the PS4 already on the way, it will not kill console gaming"
                                PC gaming isn't dead, but piracy still exists.

I never claimed that this would kill console gaming. I really don't even know what we're arguing about here. I don't think this is a good thing for console gaming, do you?

EDIT -- Do you think that Sony execs are just chilling saying "PS4 is aight" or do you think that they're probably now scared shitless that their next console might be susceptible to this? It's not like Sony as a corporation is in the 90's or early 2000's where they can just light cigars with dollar bills.

Comment

Working...