Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jms493
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SuperKevin
    If this is the case, I will never buy another game that has a definate ending. Waste of 60 bucks to beat a game and then use it as a coaster
    if you learned anything as of late...you really don't have to pay $60 for new games anymore, unless you NEED it on release day.

Comment

• Twigg4075
      Kindergarten Cop
      • Feb 2009

Like JMS said (I think it was him), this is just another step towards full digital distribution. It's not like you can trade in used digital games or buy them used.

I also think if this does comes to fruition there is really no way that Sony would o forward with it unless they have serious backing from developers and publishers. They might be signing exclusive deals with them right now. Just think if you could only play the next Assassin's Creed on the PS4 because Ubisoft, who has always been stauncly against used games sales, wants it on PS4 to prevent used sales. People would bitch to the heavens but you know damn well if they love that series not only will they buy the game but they will buy a PS4 to play it.

I personally prefer gamers have as many choices as possible but if this happens it's not really going to affect me much.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
        War Hero
        • May 2012

If and when they go fully digital it could actually help drive down the prices for games.

Comment

• Twigg4075
          Kindergarten Cop
          • Feb 2009

That would make sense but I bet that doesn't happen.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
            • Sep 2024

Originally posted by JimLeavy59
            If and when they go fully digital it could actually help drive down the prices for games.
            Nope, not at all. You will still see retail prices at $60, because the companies will want to profit as much as they can from the hard core gamers who have to have the game day one. Also, it devalues their product.

Now, I do think with digital games, they would have the ability to do more sales and specials at a later date, because they're making more profits off the release-day sales without a middle-man, but they won't do anything to take that $60 MSRP price away. If anything, digital release just locks that price in and it won't go up.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
              • Feb 2009

Was just reading a thread on Reddit about WreckitRalph being digital download first. Fn thing may end up being more expensive than the 4 disc bluray.

There is no way prices go down. Once that established price is set it doesnt matter how much theyre saving. Only occasionally will companies price things lower but as a catch line not as a standard practice. Theyll just whine that bandwidth and servers are uber expensive too and we're paying for convenience.
              Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• jms493
                • Feb 2009

And when sales suffer terribly bc nonone wants to pay that much...they will go down.

Comment

• Swarley
                  A Special Kind of Cat
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by jms493
                  And when sales suffer terribly bc nonone wants to pay that much...they will go down.
                  That's not happening now, why would it change?

Comment

• jms493
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Swarley
                    That's not happening now, why would it change?
                    if digital only...

Comment

• Twigg4075
                      Kindergarten Cop
                      • Feb 2009

The one way this would affect me is the fact that I my wife has her own PS3. It would be pretty ridiculous if I buy a game and two different people in the same house can't even play it. But I would imagine that policies would be similar to how they are now and I could have my profile on her console and vice versa. So in theory she should be able to play that copy of Borderlands 3 after I finish it. I'm just wondering if she will have to remain signed into my profile to play or if the game will just check to see if my profile is on the console?

Comment

• Swarley
                        A Special Kind of Cat
                        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by jms493
                        if digital only...
                        I know, that's what this whole conversation has been about the last couple pages. I still don't see why people would all of a sudden stop paying $60 for a game on release. I just don't see it happening. What I see with digital only is a lot more sales later on after release like there are on PC.

Comment

• jms493
                          • Feb 2009

i guess we will find out in a few years mr swarles

Comment

• Twigg4075
                            Kindergarten Cop
                            • Feb 2009

LOL that JMS actually thinks games will be cheaper when they go all digital. Publishers and developers have been complaining this entire generation that costs are through the roof and even at $60 they don't make much profit unless the game sells multiple millions of copies. And look at all of the sudios that close each and every day because they can't stay afloat. The prices will stay the same so the publisherrs and developers can just go back to driving gold plated lambos and eating champagne infused caviar.

Comment

• jms493
                              • Feb 2009

i could be wrong....it happens....frequently

Comment

• SethMode
                                Master of Mysticism
                                • Feb 2009

I do think that digital will eventually lead to lower prices for gamers, despite the publishers and developers going back to driving gold plated "lambos".

Day one prices though are always going to be the same, so it isn't really worth discussing. The argument for and about digital only is about the convenience and the long term savings.

Comment

Working...