X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maynard
    stupid ass titles
    • Feb 2009

ps3 cables/TV Help

i posted a loooong time ago on MM about how my ps3 picture will shift horizontally for a few seconds then shift back. Its totally random.
    At times it will also get bright, or go green, or blue. to resolve this i must turn off the tv and turn it back on. The issues was determined to be related to my HDMI connection on my TV or maybe the cable itself. Of all my gaming and video stuff, the ps3 is the only one doing this and its also the only one using the hdmi.

Someone suggested that i try and make the connection on my tv tighter and maybe wedge in a somthing to support the connection on my tv. I tried this and it still has this same issue.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions to fix this issue without me buying a new hdmi cable?
    is HDMI that much different looking on the PS3 then a component cable?
    the 360 looks great with component, so i assume the ps3 does too.....does PS3 use a special PS3 cable or just a standard cable?
  • killgod
    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
    • Oct 2008

may not be the cable, might be your TV. the jack could be broken or you could have something f'd on your TV's main board.

just something to keep in mind.

Comment

• Maynard
      stupid ass titles
      • Feb 2009

i was asking if the ps3 uses a standard component cable or if it uses one specifically designed to plug into the back of the ps3

which is does

Comment

• Maynard
        stupid ass titles
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Chodite
        A new HDMI cable costs $4.

HDMI = digital signal
        Component = analog signal

You also need HDMI for 1080p and up to 7.1 channels of 192 kHz sampling rate uncompressed audio
        lol....i paid 40 for mine. i know, stupid

my TV doesnt support 1080p.....supports everything but that

Comment

• Maynard
          stupid ass titles
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Chodite
          $40?!?! 'Tard!

So if you have the PS2 component cables lying around, use them for now.

And for future reference, don't pay more than $5 for an HDMI cable (Amazon.com, Monoprice.com, Ebay.com)

Or talk Sony into packaging an HD cable with their HD console.
          when i bought the ps3 i didnt know any better.....i was unedumated

i do have the ps2 cables.....its the s-video cable. thats not quite as good as component is it?

but i guess its better then a shifting screen

Comment

• jms493
            • Feb 2009

$3.10 order it......maybe that will fix it.........nothing wrong with having an extra HDMI cable.

Component cables on your PS3 will not broadcast full 1080p.....not taking advantage of that blueray player!!

Comment

• Maynard
              stupid ass titles
              • Feb 2009

your only goal is to buy the show....everything else is irrelevant!

Comment

• PP
                • Feb 2010

a new HDMI cable is probably cheaper than the components anyways. Sounds like its time for a new TV. Prices have dropped considerably.

Comment

• mfbmike
                  Goat****er
                  • Nov 2008

If you don't see a difference in quality from using component cables as opposed to using an HDMI cable, do 1 of 2 things.

1. Shoot yourself in the face.
                  2. Shoot your tv in the face.

HDMI Quality is leaps and bounds better than using the component cables that come with the PS3. Unless of course you are still using an SDTV that isn't HD. :doh:

Comment

• Maynard
                    stupid ass titles
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by mfbmike
                    If you don't see a difference in quality from using component cables as opposed to using an HDMI cable, do 1 of 2 things.

1. Shoot yourself in the face.
                    2. Shoot your tv in the face.

HDMI Quality is leaps and bounds better than using the component cables that come with the PS3. Unless of course you are still using an SDTV that isn't HD. :doh:
                    those are composite cables chief....i have never seen my ps3 without hdmi which is why i dont want to take a step back.

I bought a new hdmi from walmart. I will use it tonight to see if it resolves the problem. either way i will take back the cable and get my $30 back. But at least i will know if its the cable or the TV.

Comment

Working...