X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twigg4075
    Kindergarten Cop
    • Feb 2009

[ALL] The XB1 is about to make movie/tv pirates very happy

Microsoft announced a huge new update to the Xbox One on Tuesday and it included a full-scale video player capable of supporting just about any …

Microsoft announced a huge new update to the Xbox One on Tuesday and it included a full-scale video player capable of supporting just about any kind of file you can think of, including including .avi, .jpg, .gif, .mov, .mp3, .mpeg, .wma and .wmv files. Ars Technica’s Peter Bright was particularly struck by one codec mentioned that he says could be of great use to people who like watching pirated movies and TV shows: MKV containers.

FROM EARLIER: Microsoft continues to outpace Sony with another huge Xbox One update.

“While MKV is a rarity in the world of explicitly authorized video, it’s quite abundant in the murky world of pirated TV shows,” he writes. “Native MKV support will make watching this content substantially easier on the Xbox One.”

Couple this with the fact that the Xbox One will gain support for DLNA streaming through home network devices — which will let the Xbox stream content from devices being played on Windows PCs and other devices — and you’ve got a pretty sweet new media player that both gamers and movie pirates should absolutely love.

We don’t think that Microsoft will be promoting its console as a piracy box, of course, but we can’t imagine the company would complain if these new features helped it boost sales among the torrent-watching crowd.

• CCBrink
    Awkward Swag
    • May 2009

Ball's in your court Sony.

Comment

• MrBill
      Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
      • Feb 2009

This is good news and will likely be a consideration for some people as they are buying a new console. I'm curious to see if Sony will follow suit as they have typically been anti-piracy to the point that even formats not widely used by pirates have been blocked.

Comment

• dope
        Allons-y!
        • Feb 2009

i still have my ps3 for my "arrrrrgggh" ways

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
          • Feb 2009

I'll consider an XB1 now.
          Was more inclined to purchase a small steaming box like micca but if XB1 can do it may just get that.
          Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• GangstaE
            No longer a noob
            • Feb 2009

Time to get an Xbox 1 and put away the ps3 for good

Comment

• dope
              Allons-y!
              • Feb 2009

in all honesty i never use my media server anymore due to having my laptop, ps3, and ps4 (not to mention my roku, ota antenna and NES) all running through my av receiver into my projector. before getting that all set up it was nice to stream from my laptop (tower pc back in the day) to my ps3 or roku, but it's much easier to just change my output and there we go.
              Last edited by dope; 01-14-2015, 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling bitches

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by dope
                in all honesty i never use my media server anymore due to having my laptop, ps3, and ps4 (not to mention my roku, ota antenna and NES) all running through my av receiver into my projector. before getting that all set up it was nice to stream from my laptop (tower pc back in the day) to my ps3 or roku, but it's much easier to just change my output and there we go.
                How do you have an NES running through your AVR ? Wasn't NES RF switch only ?
                Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• dope
                  Allons-y!
                  • Feb 2009

it was but i got an convertor

don't believe the bs about it being "full hd" but it does allow you to use a composite connection thru hdmi

Comment

Working...