X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tailback U
    No substitute 4 strength.
    • Nov 2008

[ALL] PS4 or XBOX One?

I haven't played video games in a few years. I am not up to date on anything.

Fresh out of grad school with a GF who works in the restaurant industry, I am ready to be a nerd again.

Can someone tell me what the newest consoles are? Major differences between both? For those with both, which do you prefer?

I'm mostly going to be playing Madden online but probably get into some Call Of Duty type shooters as well.

Also, what capabilities do these things have now other than video games? Any major differences in streaming content, using apps, etc.?
  • Houston
    Back home
    • Oct 2008

The interface and setup of PSN is awful. If you're gonna be mainly playing popular online games that will be on both consoles, I'd suggest going with an Xbox because XBL is so much better.

I do think PS4 has the better exclusives, but those are solo games like the new God of War (probably the highest rated exclusive on either platform), The Last of Us, and this new Spiderman game is supposed to be good.

Comment

• FirstTimer
      Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

PS4 or die. However I've always been a big Playstation person. I tried an XBox360 for a while and hated it. I just don't enjoy Xbox, I think the controller sucks, I hate Microsoft has a general rule, and I find the Playstation to be better for sports games. If your an MLB fan, the PS4 for The Show is a no duh. PS4, as Houston said, has better exclusives and frankly I like the PSN setup and interface. Not really sure what the issue with it Houston sees.

What was your last system?

What games do you like?

Comment

• BazookaJoe5
        Formerly ravensownall17
        • Feb 2009

As someone who has both, if I was only going to get one, based purely on the games themselves, it's PS4 all day every day, just because the exclusive games are sooooo much better than anything X1 has to offer on that front. God of War is the game of the generation and Horizon and Spider Man are also some of the best games of this gen. I do think the X1X is a better console than the PS4 Pro, but the exclusive games just aren't there. Pretty much anything worth playing on X1 you can also play on PS4, other than like the Forza games.

That being said, I use my X1X a lot more than I do the PS4 for multi-platform games, because I prefer the controller.

Comment

• Houston
          Back home
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by BazookaJoe5
          God of War is the game of the generation
          I can't wait to get it fully out of my head/system, and then give it a thorough replay. The same way I'm finally going to do soon with The Last of Us, years after beating it.

Comment

• BonesMahoney95
            -_-
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Houston
            The interface and setup of PSN is awful. If you're gonna be mainly playing popular online games that will be on both consoles, I'd suggest going with an Xbox because XBL is so much better.

I do think PS4 has the better exclusives, but those are solo games like the new God of War (probably the highest rated exclusive on either platform), The Last of Us, and this new Spiderman game is supposed to be good.
            Definitely disagree about the interface on the PS4 being awful. I personally prefer it to the Xbox Ones. I'm also not sure in what ways XBL is better than PSN at this stage(outside of having more app selection). Last gen it was for sure but I don't see it being the case currently. IMO as far as interface and PSN vs XBL, it's mostly whatever you prefer as the differences are slight.

Originally posted by Tailback U
            I haven't played video games in a few years. I am not up to date on anything.

Fresh out of grad school with a GF who works in the restaurant industry, I am ready to be a nerd again.

Can someone tell me what the newest consoles are? Major differences between both? For those with both, which do you prefer?

I'm mostly going to be playing Madden online but probably get into some Call Of Duty type shooters as well.

Also, what capabilities do these things have now other than video games? Any major differences in streaming content, using apps, etc.?
            The Xbox has better and deeper app selection. Microsoft prioritized that and it shows. Though all the main streaming apps are also on PS4 so depending on what you use(if you will use your console for streaming at all) it may not matter.

Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro(the higher end versions of both), the main difference is the Xbox One X has a 4k Blu-ray player in it while the PS4 Pro doesn't. Though the PS4 Pro can still stream apps in 4k. Gaming wise I don't think there's a difference between them(someone correct me if I'm wrong).

There's not a huge gap between XBL and PSN like there was during the 360/PS3 generation. So if you don't really care about the single player exclusive games(which Playstation has an edge over Xbox in) or anything else I've mentioned, I'd say it really just comes down to whatever your friends play on and/or if you have a personal preference either way.

Comment

• LopaKa
              No longer a noob
              • Apr 2009

Many good points have been made so far. If you don't care about the PS exclusive games like God of War and Spider-Man, it comes down to your preference on controller. I love both systems, I just wish I had the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro for that 4K gaming

Comment

• RosettaStoned
                Throbbing Tebowner
                • Oct 2008

I have both, I play my xbox more. Xbox is better for shooters, playstation is better for sports games and exclusives imo.
                So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• jeffx
                  • Jun 2009

Haven't made the jump to PS4....still rocking PS3.

Comment

• jms493
                    • Feb 2009

PS4...I can play Xbox exclusives on my PC.

Comment

Working...