Chiefs of the West: Kansas City Chiefs Franchise (FOF7)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MajorSupreme
    Noob
    • Aug 2014

Chiefs of the West: Kansas City Chiefs Franchise (FOF7)

Playing Madden is cool, but there are so many game-breaking elements that make me wanna shy away from it. When it comes to football, I love the general management side of it. Resignings, Cuts, Free Agents, the whole nine-yards and then some. I absolutely LOVE building a team up and taking them to a Super Bowl. So, I've decided to take the Kansas City Chiefs in the 2007 season with the Text-Sim Football game Front Office Football 7 (http://www.solecismic.com/fof/index.php). Real draft classes will be used.

So, without further ado, let's cheer on those Chiefs baby!
  • MajorSupreme
    Noob
    • Aug 2014

Yearly Recaps

2007 Season

Comment

• MajorSupreme
      Noob
      • Aug 2014

Draft Picks

Comment

• MajorSupreme
        Noob
        • Aug 2014

Award Winners

Comment

• MajorSupreme
          Noob
          • Aug 2014

Clear.

Comment

• MajorSupreme
            Noob
            • Aug 2014

New General Manager Hired

Associated Press

March 22, 2007 2:23 PM ET

Kansas City, Mo. -- Carl Peterson, former Chiefs general manager hired in 1989, has re-signed as General Manager and Team President.
            In his absence, the Chiefs have hired Mason Suprite, former NFL and CFL player and former GM of the Calgary Stampeders. Suprite, 37,
            managed the Stampeders from 2002-2006. In his final year, the Stampeders went 10-8 and placed second in the West division. Suprite
            declined a contract renewal in hopes of finding work in his native country, the United States.

Peterson and Suprite announced the job shift earlier today in a joint press conference.

"I've been doing this for a long time," started Peterson. "And I am very appreciative of what the Hunt family has given to me. I have met
            so many great people, and I've had the chance to serve an amazing fanbase. But I'm in a time of my life where my family comes first, and
            I want to be there for them."

Mason Suprite followed afterward: "I have admired the Chiefs organization since I was a child. And now that Mr. Hunt has given me the
            chance to give this team
            the best I can, and well, it feels like a dream. I'm extremely excited to be here, and even more excited to bring this team a Super Bowl."

Suprite graduated from the University of North Carolina with a bachelor's degree in economics, playing quarterback for the football
            team and setting team record for yards, touchdowns, and interceptions. He went undrafted in the 1989 draft before being signed to the
            Minnesota Vikings. He would then be cut that preseason and signed to the Packers. He would then be cut again, but found himself
            as the backup quarterback to Danny Barrett on the Calgary Stampeders 1991 team. He would play for Stampeders until his
            retirement in 1999, when he was subsequently signed as quarterbacks coach. In 2001, he was given the position of
            Director of Player Personnel, and in 2002 he was named the General Manager.

Suprite has been handed a tall job. He already has the draft coming up in a month, but he must also deal with the intrusive
            personalities that are Trent Green and Larry Johnson. Mason Suprite was successful in the CFL, but this is a new ballgame.

Comment

• MajorSupreme
              Noob
              • Aug 2014

Chiefs Draft Recap

Associated Press

April 30, 2007 2:23 PM ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Mason Suprite came to Kansas City with a mission. Whether he succeeded or not is yet to be
              seen, but head coach Herm Edwards had nothing but praise for him after the draft.
              “He was poised and steady in the war room. He knew what was best for the team. He knew what he wanted, what
              he needed.”

Round 1 Pick 23: Dwayne Bowe, Wide Receiver, LSU
              Eddie Drummond, Eddie Kennison, and Samie Parker are not the most threatening names. But add a 6 ft 2 in,
              221-pound speedster out of LSU, then some trousers make get a bit heavier. Dwayne Bowe finished his senior season
              with the school record-breaking 12 touchdowns off of 65 catches on 990 yards. Precise route-running and soft hands
              can set the young man up to be a match-up nightmare in his career. Look for Huard/Croyle to make him their number
              one target.

Round 2 Pick 54: Claude “Turk” McBride, Defensive End/Tackle, Tennessee
              4.81 dash at 277 pounds in his Tennessee pro day, Turk McBride is no laughing matter. Set to claim the defensive end
              position opposite Jared Allen, Turk has the benefit of learning under defensive coordinator “Coach Gun” Cunningham.

Round 3 Pick 82: DeMarcus “Tank” Tyler, Defensive Tackle, North Carolina State
              They don’t call him “Tank” for giggles. The definition of a bruiser, bullying his way through offensive linemen each
              play and making the stop in the backfield. 307 pounds of destruction, Tyler was named to the first-team All-Atlantic
              Coast Conference with 87 tackles and 3 sacks at North Carolina State. He is expected to compete for the second-string
              defensive tackle position with Alphonso Boone.

Round 5 Pick 148: Kolby Smith, Halfback, Lousiville
              With an unspectacular career at Louisville, Kolby Smith falls to the Chiefs first fifth-round pick. The majority of his time
              in Louisville was spent as a backup, and though demonstrating an excellent nose for the first-down marker, his steps
              in the endzone were very few, scoring only 5 touchdowns in his senior season. Competition with NFL Europe MVP Derrick Ross and
              veteran Michael Bennett will ensue to back up Larry Johnson.

Round 5 Pick 160: Justin Medlock, Kicker, UCLA
              First-Team All-American kicker Justin Medlock proved to not only have a powerful leg, but showed consistency. In his
              career at UCLA, Medlock went 70/80 on field goals and set a school record for field goals 50 yards or longer with six.
              Whether he’ll put pressure current kick Lawrence Tynes for the starting job is yet unknown, but he is a decent kicker
              nonetheless.

Round 6 Pick 196: Herb Taylor, Offensive Tackle, TCU
              Iron-man Herb Taylor isn’t a franchise-shaking pick. He’s a strong lineman with good footwork and proven durability,
              starting 48-straight games for TCU.

Round 7 Pick 231: Michael Allen, Tight End, Whitworth College
              The first player to be drafted out of Whitworth since 1972, Michael Allen hopes to impress coach Edwards with his
              strong hands and finesse blocking technique. He’ll benefit greatly by learning under Tony Gonzalez.

Draft Grade for Kansas City: B

With the NFL season approaching, the Kansas City Chiefs exit the draft with some questions answered, yet many
              remaining. With disputes on whether quarterback Trent Green will return to the team and running back Larry Johnson's holdout,
              the Kansas City front office have only seen the calm before the storm.

Comment

• MajorSupreme
                Noob
                • Aug 2014

Green Goes to Dolphins from Chiefs Trade

By Len Pasquarelli

June 5, 2007 10:00 PM ET

The game of chicken that had stretched to nearly two months finally ended on Tuesday evening when the Kansas City Chiefs and
                Miami Dolphins reached agreement on the much-anticipated trade of quarterback Trent Green.

Miami agreed to send a fifth-round choice in the 2008 draft to the Chiefs in exchange for Green. The pick can be upgraded to a
                fourth-rounder if Green reaches certain predetermined playing time and performance levels. Miami had been offering a sixth-round
                choice and the Chiefs had been steadfast for several weeks in their demands for a fourth-round selection.

The trade, confirmed by sources from both franchises, represented a natural compromise.

Chiefs president and general manager Mason Suprite, who suggested only two weeks ago that it was "entirely do-able" that Green
                return to Kansas City in 2007, perhaps as the starter, wanted to secure fair value for a starting quarterback. While the performance
                thresholds that can raise the pick to a fourth-rounder were not yet known, the Chiefs figure to receive the higher selection if Green
                simply plays to his form of previous seasons.

Completion of the deal is contingent upon Green passing a physical examination with the Dolphins, but that is considered academic.

Although Green missed eight games in 2006 because of a severe concussion sustained in the season opener, he has suffered no
                lingering effects from that injury. Nor are there concerns about the knee injury that Green sustained in 2000, forcing him to miss that
                entire season. Green reiterated in recent weeks that he feels fine physically and is confident he can play at a high level for several
                more seasons.

Two weeks ago, with the soap opera lingering and no resolution in sight, a frustrated Green went public with his displeasure at what
                he said had become an untenable situation.

"It's not only awkward for me and my family, but it's awkward for the guys in the weight room, in the locker room, on the practice field,"
                Green told Kansas City media members. "I'm here every day. People ask, 'What's going on?' Guys don't know how to react to me,
                how to treat me."

In the end, the Chiefs finally decided that the revised compensation proposal from Miami was sufficient. And Miami decided that
                it was counterproductive to wait any longer, since there was a need to get Green onto the roster and onto the practice field
                with new teammates.

The trade likely ends the disappointing one-year tenure of Daunte Culpepper in Miami. Acquired by then-Dolphins coach Nick Saban from
                Minnesota last spring for a second-round selection, Culpepper has undergone two surgeries to repair a right knee shredded in a 2005
                injury in which he tore three ligaments and is still rehabilitating.

Given his base salary of $5.5 million for 2007 and the near-certainty that Green will become the Dolphins' starter, Culpepper could be
                released. The hope of the Dolphins is that Green will provide the franchise its most stable quarterback situation since Hall of Fame
                passer Dan Marino retired following the 1999 season.

If Green can give Miami two or three productive seasons, it will give the Dolphins time to perhaps develop John Beck of BYU,
                chosen in the second round of this year's draft.

Green, 36, was deemed expendable months ago by the Chiefs, who plan to provide second-year veteran Brodie Croyle every
                opportunity to win the starting job. Croyle, Green and journeyman Damon Huard -- who was signed to a contract extension by
                the Chiefs this spring, ostensibly to give the team a veteran insurance policy -- shared snaps with the No. 1 offense during
                the Chiefs' three-day minicamp over the weekend.

But Chiefs brass has made clear its preference that Croyle, a third-round choice from Alabama who played sparingly as a rookie
                in 2006, seize the starting spot. Croyle said over weekend that he was confident he would prevail in the battle for the top spot
                on the depth chart and that he felt the Chiefs were becoming his team.

In February, citing in part the need to get younger at the game's most critical position, Suprite approached Green about
                renegotiating his contract and perhaps accepting a lesser role in 2007. Green responded by requesting that the Chiefs grant him
                the right to seek out potential trade partners.

Several franchises indicated varying degrees of interest in Green, but his preference quickly became the Dolphins, where he is
                familiar with first-year head coach Cam Cameron and his offensive design. Cameron was Green's quarterbacks coach with
                the Washington Redskins early in the veteran's career.

Nearly two months ago, Green focused his efforts on being traded to the Dolphins and his agent, Jim Steiner, reached a
                contract agreement in principle with Miami officials. Details of that agreement were not yet available. Under his Kansas City
                contract, Green was to have had a base salary of $7.2 million for 2007, which would have been fully guaranteed were he on
                the Chiefs' roster at the outset of the regular season. There were two seasons beyond 2007 left on that contract, at salaries
                of $7.7 million for 2008 and $9.2 million for 2009.

A 14-year veteran, Green has six times thrown for 3,000-plus yards in a season and has three seasons of 4,000 or more yards.
                He has completed 2,143-of-3,527 passes for 26,963 yards, with 157 touchdown passes and 101 interceptions in 112 games,
                including 107 starts.

Until last season, Green had proven incredibly durable and had started every game for the Chiefs since Kansas City
                acquired him from St. Louis in a 2001 trade. But Green, regarded as one of the NFL's classiest players, suffered a severe head
                injury in the season opener, when he was hit outside the pocket by Cincinnati Bengals end Robert Geathers, and he started only
                eight contests.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

Comment

• MajorSupreme
                  Noob
                  • Aug 2014

Chiefs Legend Calls Quits

By Len Pasquarelli

July 27, 2007 7:03 PM ET

"I have truly been blessed with the opportunity to play in the National Football League," he said. "I will be forever grateful to the Hunt family and
                  the Chiefs organization for the opportunity to come to Kansas City, where the community embraced me from Day 1."

Three-time pro-bowl tailback Priest Holmes, 34, spent the past few days counseling with family members and friends, and speaking with medical
                  experts about a re-occurrence of the neck problems that sidelined him for two years, two sources close to him told ESPN.com on Tuesday night.
                  The decision to retire came after Holmes painful strains working out with Eddie Kennison over the summer.

Chiefs team president Mason Suprite spoke with Holmes over the summer, urging the veteran tailback to ease his comeback process, ESPN.com's
                  John Clayton reported. According to a source, it wasn't that Holmes re-injured his neck as much as he experienced a recurrence of the symptoms
                  that led to his 18-month layoff.

Said the source close to Holmes: "This has been a cumulative thing. It wasn't just the incident in the 2005 game with San Diego, but rather a
                  succession of hits. From a life's standpoint, Priest will be fine. He just knows he can't play football anymore."

Holmes originally suffered severe head and neck trauma in an Oct. 30, 2005 game against the Chargers. He has spent nearly two years recovering
                  from the injuries and most league observers felt that Holmes would never play again.

Rumors swirled that Holmes would attempt to return to the team in the 2007 season, which he confirmed prior to the draft. Holmes spent the
                  final half of the 2005 season on injured reserve and the entire 2006 campaign on the NFL's physically unable to perform list. Because of the head
                  and neck trauma, and a serious hip injury that threatened to end his career in 2004, Holmes has played in only 19 games since the end of
                  the 2003 season.

Suprite appeared with Holmes and his three young sons at a news conference. Suprite said Holmes had an agreement with the club that he
                  would alert the Chiefs the moment he felt any danger of recurring injury to the head or neck.

"It's in everyone's best interest if he doesn't play," Suprite started. "He has been the epitome of Kansas Chiefs football; a hero. It has been
                  an extreme pleasure meeting and working with him.

In 106 appearances, Holmes has carried 1,780 times for 8,172 yards and 86 touchdowns. One of the NFL's premier all-around backs in his prime,
                  the former University of Texas star also has 339 receptions for 2,962 yards and eight touchdowns. He has posted four seasons with
                  1,000 yards rushing, including three years with more than 1,400 yards.

Holmes began his career with the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted college free agent in 1998, and signed with the Chiefs as an unrestricted
                  free agent in 2001.

Holmes retirement puts even more pressure on the Chiefs front office working out the clauses and restructuring of Larry Johnson's contract.

"We'd like to think we're close in getting Larry and ourselves pleased," Ray Farmer, Director of Player Personnel states. "[Larry and his agent] want
                  a fair deal, as do we."

"As much as we try to do everything we could to prepare me, there's just one thing that seems like we couldn't technically prepare for," Holmes said.

"Now that we've seen that, now that I've had some symptoms, there's nothing really the helmet can do to provide that protection and to allow me
                  to do my job effectively. And we all know this is a business of performance.

"I believe that by having this opportunity for a younger player or even a newer player to come in and provide that production, that's definitely
                  needed for the Kansas City Chiefs at any position."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. Senior NFL writer John Clayton contributed to this story. Information from The Associated
                  Press was used in this report.

Comment

• MajorSupreme
                    Noob
                    • Aug 2014

Who Will Start Week 1?

Brodie Croyle (left) and Damon Huard (right)are set to compete for starting QB spot this training camp

Story from Jason Whitlock

Training Camp is underway. And what would be training camp without some drama?

Let's step away from some of the bigger news: Larry Johnson's contract is still not restructured, Dwayne Bowe has not signed his rookie contract, and Priest Holmes announced his retirement the day training camp started.

But what Kansas fans sure are worried about is who comes out as signal caller for the Chiefs in their week one match-up against the Jacksonville Jaguars:

Damon Huard, career journeyman back-up vs. Brodie Croyle, up-and-coming gunslinger drafted last year in the third-round.

As the Chiefs head to camp, there is no obvious leader. Both Huard and Croyle believe the job is available to either. When asked about who he believed would win the job, he replied, "I have no idea. I think camp will unfold and things will play themselves out with preseason games and whatnot. I can't predict the future. All I can do is work hard and compete. May the best man win."

Croyle, in response to the same question: "All I can worry about is getting better every day and if they call my number for the first game, they call it," he said. "If not, I've just got to keep working."

When it comes down to it, both offer great qualities to the team. Brodie Croyle was drafted to be the quarterback of the future, so it is believed he'll start eventually. He displays a top-notch arm strength and veteran pocket-awareness. His gun-slinging attitude can only be compared to the great Brett Favre; he is always looking for that big play, that hole in the secondary. But that often leads Croyle to bad decisions; him thinking he can fit it into a tight spot and a defender making a play. Or, Croyle has a tendency to force the deep ball, regardless of the safety's position on the field.

Damon Huard brings experience, dependability, and leadership to the table. Eleven years in the league gives a guy an upper-hand on the game,he's seen it all and gives a team an edge. Downfield vision and the ability to read the defense has become second nature to Huard. And this aged vet has spent time behind NFL legend Dan Marino and future Hall of Famer Tom Brady, collecting the tools he needs to be a starting quarterback. The issue with Huard is durability. His lack of pocket mobility and average ability to sense the rush leaves him defenseless to blindside hits. Huard's playing-time last season in Trent Green's absence was cut short due to a groin injury. Plus, with his age, he isn't primed to be the team's quarterback for more than a couple of seasons.

At the end of the day, it comes down to Team President and General Manager Mason Suprite, Head Coach Herman Edwards, and Quarterbacks Coach Dick Curl to make the final decision.

"You want to put the best player in a position to win games for you. Whoever that is will be decided," Herm Edwards said. ''What's great about the decision is that no matter what decision you make there are going to be some opponents who say you shouldn't have made it."

Coach Edwards knows what he's talking about. He knows the game.

"You play to win the game."

Who would you start?

Comment

• albidnis
                      GFX Crew
                      • Nov 2008

Hey Major welcome. Where else do you post your chise

Comment

• MajorSupreme
                        Noob
                        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by albidnis
                        Hey Major welcome. Where else do you post your chise
                        SimulationSports and OperationSports. And thank you for the welcome.

Comment

• albidnis
                          GFX Crew
                          • Nov 2008

let them guys know they can post them here also. I would love to see more of these here.

Comment

• MajorSupreme
                            Noob
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by albidnis
                            let them guys know they can post them here also. I would love to see more of these here.
                            You and I both. I'll mention it to a couple of guys.

Comment

Working...