X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Houston
    Back home
    • Oct 2008

"Can't leave rap alone the game needs me"

uh not really brah. Ok so a few months ago I read a Drake interview in the Rolling Stone and he said his plan was to release 2 real albums and then go back to Canada open a resturant and blah blah blah. Now of course on top of those 2 albums he'll probably do 50+ songs with Wayne and others and he may not even stop at 2 but this sounds like a good plan to me.

Anyone else think that some rappers are staying in and trying to rap way to long? It's like they'll put out a crappy CD years afer they were good just to make a quick buck.
    I honestly think Biggie and Tupac were considered greats because they died and didn't have time to put our real crap. Biggie had 2 good CD's and then died, but I honestly think if he wouldn't have then eventually he would've start to put out crap and his rap creditbility as a whole would be less.
    It's hard for me to drop names with confidence cause I wasn't old enough back then but I think there were some rappers from the early 90s who if they would've died early in their career they'd be looked on as a 10x better rapper than they are now, cause they rapped too long and begun to suck.

And not even ones that are considered greats, just average rappers also. IMO if Nelly would've stopped after 2 CD's, 10 years from now he'd be look upon as a better rapper than he is now that he continued.

Just something I noticed, maybe it's just me though.
  • Sharkweather
    • Jul 2009

No but really. Rap game does need me.

Haters want me clapped and chromed it ain't easy
    Cops wanna knock me, D.A. wanna box me in
    But somehow, I beat them charges like Rocky

Comment

• SHOGUN
      4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
      • Jul 2009

Only in hip-hop is longevity looked down upon. In rock and pop, you still have acts that have been out for 10-20 years still putting out releases and doing successful tours. They may not be as relevant in the mainstream as they were at their peak, but they're still putting in good work. For most this is still their primary form of income. Music is how they pay the bills. Artists-turned-moguls like Jay-Z are the rare exceptions. I don't think it's too much of an issue nor can I blame them. For example, KRS-ONE has been dropping albums since '88 and he's still releasing quality albums today. Kristyles was one of his best albums and that dropped in 2003.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• SOS4Prez
        Dang ol'...yo.
        • Sep 2009

Jesus how can shit be so easy, how can one Chandra be so Levy, turn on these beats,
        MC's don't see me, believe me BET and MTV are gonna grieve, when we leave, dog fo' sheezy, can't leave rap alone, the game needs me, 'till we grow beards, get weird, and disappear into the mountains, nothin' but clowns down here, but we ain't fuckin around round here, yo' Dre, what up, can I get a hell ya? HELL YA.

All I could think of.

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

I thought this was gonna be about the line from Jay, which is one of the most referenced and homage-paid line in hip hop history.

As the above post is an example of, so many other rappers have used that line or some form of it since Jay first spit it.

As for your post, yes, it'd be nice if some rappers went out on top instead of kept hanging on. But it also sucks when good ones don't do enough albums. If Lupe stops at 3 I'll be so mad for instance.

Comment

• I LastWish I
            Float On, Float On,
            • Oct 2008

baby boy da prince
            mims
            50cent lulzzz

Originally posted by Gonzo
            LW is probably the most solid poster VSN has to offer.

Comment

• Houston
              Back home
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by NAHSTE13
              But it also sucks when good ones don't do enough albums. If Lupe stops at 3 I'll be so mad for instance.
              True that, nothing like seeing a good artist stop because they don't sell as much as others.

Comment

• CCBrink
                Awkward Swag
                • May 2009

Originally posted by HoustonBoy
                True that, nothing like seeing a good artist stop because they don't sell as much as others.
                Lupe is going to do at least 2 more albums with the last one (LupEND) being a 3 disc album. He isn't quitting because he doesn't sell as much, he just wants to do other things.

Comment

• Houston
                  Back home
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by C Dawg504
                  Lupe is going to do at least 2 more albums with the last one (LupEND) being a 3 disc album. He isn't quitting because he doesn't sell as much, he just wants to do other things.
                  I'm not talking about Lupe, lol just saying in general.

Comment

• Golden Taters
                    RIP West
                    • Jul 2009

Snoop Dawg yeahhhh

Comment

• Vinsane
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Shogun
                      Only in hip-hop is longevity looked down upon. In rock and pop, you still have acts that have been out for 10-20 years still putting out releases
                      Not true.

Korn has been shit on by reviews since "Issues".

Don't even get me started on Metallica.

And KISS, really?
                      25-02, 23:16 Yawkey Way celtics fucking suck

Comment

• Houston
                        Back home
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Vinsane
                        Not true.

Korn has been shit on by reviews since "Issues".

Don't even get me started on Metallica.

And KISS, really?
                        Korn use to be my favorite.

Comment

• Fox1994
                          Posts too much
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by NAHSTE13
                          I thought this was gonna be about the line from Jay, which is one of the most referenced and homage-paid line in hip hop history.

As the above post is an example of, so many other rappers have used that line or some form of it since Jay first spit it.

As for your post, yes, it'd be nice if some rappers went out on top instead of kept hanging on. But it also sucks when good ones don't do enough albums. If Lupe stops at 3 I'll be so mad for instance.
                          I think he's gonna do one or two more. . . Still not enough. It's sorta distressing.

Originally posted by Shogun
                          Only in hip-hop is longevity looked down upon. In rock and pop, you still have acts that have been out for 10-20 years still putting out releases and doing successful tours. They may not be as relevant in the mainstream as they were at their peak, but they're still putting in good work. For most this is still their primary form of income. Music is how they pay the bills. Artists-turned-moguls like Jay-Z are the rare exceptions. I don't think it's too much of an issue nor can I blame them. For example, KRS-ONE has been dropping albums since '88 and he's still releasing quality albums today. Kristyles was one of his best albums and that dropped in 2003.
                          It's because a big part of black culture is the "keep it movin'" attitude. We just keep shit goin'. . . nobody gets stuck on old ish. . . that's why some folk can't appreciate classic acts like NWA and P.E., because they've got no respect for the old school.

There's no disrespect in the 'rock' community for old music. Period. On 107.9 "The Alternative" out here in Vegas, they even play some Marley and old school rap music. On 97.5, all they play is new shit. I hardly even here licks from last year, they too busy playin' Souljah Boy and New Boyz. I'm glad I like "Break Up" and "Forever" because they play that shit AT LEAST twice on rotation per hour.

Also, for some reason, whereas 88.1 plays Kanye's verse on "Forever", 97.5 doesn't. . . That's beyond me.

It's just that folk only have so much to say. That's why the first two or three albums are hot. The first one's super-raw, the next few have lots of original sound, but after that a rapper's music sounds the same as everyone else's. . . It's good some people have unique voices, or else no one would have any presence. As it is, few people have presence.

In any case, I have some appreciation for rapper's who are always on the job. Like, I don't like all of Rick Ross's music, but he's got three solo album's out in four years, one compilation out this year (Triple C's - Custom Cars and Cycles), and two more next year. (One's a compilation album with Birdman.)

Who else thinks there should be a "Hip-Hop/Rap" Hall of Fame in addition to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
                          Last edited by Fox1994; 10-17-2009, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Houston
                            Back home
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Fox1994
                            I think he's gonna do one or two more. . . Still not enough. It's sorta distressing.

It's because a big part of black culture is the "keep it movin'" attitude. We just keep shit goin'. . . nobody gets stuck on old shit. . . that's why some folk can't appreciate classic acts like NWA and P.E., because they've got no respect for the old school.

There's no disrespect in the 'rock' community for old music. Period. On 107.9 "The Alternative" out here in Vegas, they even play some Marley and old school rap music. On 97.5, all they play is new shit. I hardly even here licks from last year, they too busy playin' Souljah Boy and New Boyz. I'm glad I like "Break Up" and "Forever" because they play that shit AT LEAST twice on rotation per hour.

Also, for some reason, whereas 88.1 plays Kanye's verse on "Forever", 97.5 doesn't. . . That's beyond me.

Who else thinks there should be a "Hip-Hop/Rap" Hall of Fame in addition to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

I've noticed that, current rock fans for the most part all respect the oldies like Led Zepplin and still listen to them daily. The average current rap fan doesn't pay any homage other than Tupac and Biggie who deserve little compared to acts like N.W.A or Run DMC or Grandmaster Flash. Without them there would be no Pac or Biggie.

Comment

• Fox1994
                              Posts too much
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by HoustonBoy
                              I've noticed that, current rock fans for the most part all respect the oldies like Led Zepplin and still listen to them daily. The average current rap fan doesn't pay any homage other than Tupac and Biggie who deserve little compared to acts like N.W.A or Run DMC or Grandmaster Flash. Without them there would be no Pac or Biggie.
                              Definitely.

Comment

Working...