Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrBill
    Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
    • Feb 2009

How long before the Faith Militant get put in their place? Olenna is in town and people get poisoned when she gets upset...

Ramsay is making Joffrey look like a choir boy. Betrayal of Sansa by Littlefinger. So much going on and half a season left!

Comment

• SethMode
      Master of Mysticism
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MrBill
      How long before the Faith Militant get put in their place? Olenna is in town and people get poisoned when she gets upset...

Ramsay is making Joffrey look like a choir boy. Betrayal of Sansa by Littlefinger. So much going on and half a season left!
      Definitely didn't take that as Littlefinger betraying Sansa. As Cersei says, she has virtually no hold over the North, and this just serves to get LF further into Cersei's favor. He's going to betray her at some point, probably this season.

Comment

• j.hen
        Self Care
        • Oct 2008

I highly doubt Little Finger kills Sansa. He's more likely to kill Cerci and I'm holding out hope she either has the same fate she has in the book or Arya just kills her, lol. Definitely feels like it's building up to the typically epic last couple episode stretch.

Comment

• SethMode
          Master of Mysticism
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by j.hen
          I highly doubt Little Finger kills Sansa. He's more likely to kill Cerci and I'm holding out hope she either has the same fate she has in the book or Arya just kills her, lol. Definitely feels like it's building up to the typically epic last couple episode stretch.
          I feel like I read somewhere that Lena Headey mentioned that she's okay with nudity for when they get her to that point, so I'm hoping that means it happens as it does in book 4, because that is one of my favorite parts.

Still, yeah, I agree. Littlefinger will definitely betray her when the time is right. This, to me, felt like LF's move to set himself up to potentially marry Sansa when Stannis (hopefully) kills the Boltons. He'll be Warden of the North then.

Comment

• j.hen
            Self Care
            • Oct 2008

After marathon-ing the first 40 episodes and now having to wait a week for each episode, I gotta say, this show feels like it's meant to be binge watched. The whole waiting a week thing just makes some of these first half of the season build up episodes seem like let downs. Yesterday's episode didn't have Jon Snow in it at all, and one or two before that didn't have Arya at all. Definitely need to binge the entire season after it's finished airing to get the full effect.

Comment

• Pitty
              Death, Taxes, Jeff Capel
              • Feb 2009

I guess this season is what happens when source material runs out before the show catches up.

Comment

• Houston
                Back home
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by j.hen
                The whole waiting a week thing just makes some of these first half of the season build up episodes seem like let downs.
                That's more just the way this season is, than you watching it week to week.

Of course we'd all like to rush through shows but when it's something as big of Game of Thrones, it's much better to watch along with everyone else and experience everything between the episodes.

Comment

• SethMode
                  Master of Mysticism
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Pitty
                  I guess this season is what happens when source material runs out before the show catches up.
                  Well, considering how hit or miss the source material was after book 3, it's not really been a bad thing.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                    Probably owns the site
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
                    Well, considering how hit or miss the source material was after book 3, it's not really been a bad thing.
                    Very true. And a lot of these frustrations are just echoing what book readers have long been complaining about with regard to the plot losing steam. If anything, the show is moving through the important plot beats more quickly. (An example for the benefit of show watchers to see how much faster we're moving -- in the books, Stannis marches south from the Wall to attack the Bolton host toward the end of the last book, but the actual battle still hasn't fucking happened yet. The outcome of this battle, which we'll obviously get resolved in a few weeks of show time, is left unresolved as a big cliffhanger at the end of the last book. The show has caught up to Stannis's plot as its written on the page and will surpass it soon, probably by the next episode.)

There's just not a lot that happens, story-wise, from here. The intrigue is all about the various factions scheming behind the scenes, which is obviously a lot harder to present on screen.

They've done a great job consolidating and streamlining the story, but alas, they've muddled things further in many ways, and a lot of the created for TV material this season has been sloppily handled. So far they've altered/botched some of the (only) storylines of book 5 which I found most compelling.

Some spoiler-y examples include:

No Queenmaker plot, no Arianne, so the whole Myrcella story is just kind of a mess. No Kingsmoot or Ironborn (yet). The Northern Conspiracy may or may not still be going down, but we're not getting Frey pies or Manderly it looks like. We may still get the Ghost of Winterfell but without Mance and the spearwives we're going to be shoehorning Brienne and Pod into this plot, which probably means no pink letter, which leaves the justification for "FTW" as rather thin (though they're laying on the wildling stuff reallllly thick to compensate for this).

- As for something show watchers and book readers can probably find consensus on, the Dornish stuff this season has been, objectively speaking, god awful. Ellaria is a one dimensional dud, the sandsnakes are poorly written and poorly cast, with none of their traits distinguishable beyond "dagger girl" ... "whip girl" ... "the one with the spear" ... We got rid of Arianne and my dude Oakheart ... for THIS SHIT?

The decision to send Bronn and Jaime there sounded really cool on paper and could have produced an epic showdown, but in reality we got some of the clunkiest blocking and writing this show has ever produced. That scene was painful.

After they fucking NAILED the Red Viper last season I had soaring hopes for finally seeing Dorne, arguably the coolest place in all of the kingdoms, but they've basically mailed it in completely.
                    Last edited by NAHSTE; 05-19-2015, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• SethMode
                      Master of Mysticism
                      • Feb 2009

Great post. I have more thoughts that'll save for later when I have a little more time, but I will say: I 100% agree with you about Dorne. Everything has been poorly written, acted, and seemingly sped up to a level that has made me feel like they approached with a mindset of "just get through this Dorne shit so we never have to address it again."

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                        • Feb 2009

Everything with Dorne has been a let down. It seems like a place the size of a children's park. That fight scene was atrocious Zack and AC slater almost fighting on Saved by the Bell had more suspense.
                        I never know wtf little finger is up to. I certainly think he played Cersei so he can march his army without worry of Lannister backlash.
                        Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• j.hen
                          Self Care
                          • Oct 2008

I actually like the Sand Snakes and Ellaria but that's probably just because they're Oberyn's family and Oberyn was easily the best character in the series. But I'll agree this Dorne stuff has been pretty lame. I was looking forward to the Jaime/Bronn showdown with the Sand Snakes but wasn't sure wtf was going on when it happened. And the resolution (or lack thereof) immediately afterwards was just as clunky.

So is Bronn poisoned now? He got hit with a random buzzer beater of a slice and I can only assume that Oberyn's daughters poison their weapons the way he did, maybe I'm wrong there.

Comment

• number_55
                            No longer a noob
                            • Jan 2012

hello.

Comment

Working...