X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • strahanfan92
    Meat
    • Aug 2009

Lupe fiasco says he flirted with suicide while making 'lasers'

In a new, wide-ranging interview, rapper Lupe Fiasco dug deeper than usual when revealing his inspirations and journey to complete his much-anticipated record 'Lasers.' Speaking to Details, Fiasco said that he fell into a deep depression after initially submitting his album to Atlantic Records two and a half years ago and getting rejected for not knowing "how to do what Kanye does."

He dealt with that sadness on a track that is emerging as a standout on the final version of the new album. Entitled 'Beautiful Lasers,' Lupe raps, "If you feel like you don't want to be alive/ You feel just like I am." He remarked that he did in fact contemplate killing himself at that point "to keep from killing somebody else." Lupe also said that making his third studio album wasn't easy. "The creation of 'Lasers' was a very painful, dark, f---ed-up process," he admitted.

Notably, the admission of depression and suicidal feelings has long been prevalent on hip-hop tracks but rarely discussed in public until recent cases like Fiasco's. Last year, Kanye West admitted to feeling suicidal after the media scrutiny surrounding his public meltdown at the 2009 MTV VMAs. Before that, The-Dream said that he seriously considered ending it all during his separation and then public divorce with wife Christina Milian.

'Lasers' is set to drop March 8.
    Top R&B and hip hop news, music videos, newest songs and exclusive interviews with the hottest rappers and R&B artists.

Comment

• strahanfan92
      Meat
      • Aug 2009

Lupe fiasco says he flirted with suicide while making 'lasers'

In a new, wide-ranging interview, rapper Lupe Fiasco dug deeper than usual when revealing his inspirations and journey to complete his much-anticipated record 'Lasers.' Speaking to Details, Fiasco said that he fell into a deep depression after initially submitting his album to Atlantic Records two and a half years ago and getting rejected for not knowing "how to do what Kanye does."

He dealt with that sadness on a track that is emerging as a standout on the final version of the new album. Entitled 'Beautiful Lasers,' Lupe raps, "If you feel like you don't want to be alive/ You feel just like I am." He remarked that he did in fact contemplate killing himself at that point "to keep from killing somebody else." Lupe also said that making his third studio album wasn't easy. "The creation of 'Lasers' was a very painful, dark, f---ed-up process," he admitted.

Notably, the admission of depression and suicidal feelings has long been prevalent on hip-hop tracks but rarely discussed in public until recent cases like Fiasco's. Last year, Kanye West admitted to feeling suicidal after the media scrutiny surrounding his public meltdown at the 2009 MTV VMAs. Before that, The-Dream said that he seriously considered ending it all during his separation and then public divorce with wife Christina Milian.

'Lasers' is set to drop March 8.
      Top R&B and hip hop news, music videos, newest songs and exclusive interviews with the hottest rappers and R&B artists.

Comment

• MvP
        a member of vsn
        • Oct 2008

I'm really not expecting much from LASERS at this point. There is absolutely no way it meets or exceeds expectations.

Comment

• Maestro
          ♫Just Like Music♫
          • Nov 2008

From what i've heard it has leaked.

Comment

• Woy
            RIP West
            • Dec 2008

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Got your leak.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• Maestro
              ♫Just Like Music♫
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Soulja Woy
              I'm going to try and hold off on listening to it. It comes out in a week, i can live until then, i hope. Kind of disappointed in the leak, but you expect these things to happen. You reviewing it?

Comment

• Woy
                RIP West
                • Dec 2008

Yeah I think I'm going to review it.

I was feeling the first song, second one is Words I Never Said and I already said I like that.

Comment

• Maestro
                  ♫Just Like Music♫
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Soulja Woy
                  Yeah I think I'm going to review it.

I was feeling the first song, second one is Words I Never Said and I already said I like that.
                  I look forward to it. Not sure if i'm going to check it out until i listen or what. Decisions decisions.

Comment

• Woy
                    RIP West
                    • Dec 2008

Just off first impressions so far:

- I'm feeling "Letting Go".
                    - "Words I Never Said" is still a damn good song.
                    - "Till I Get There" is okay, but the hook sucks.
                    - "I Don't Wanna Care Right Now" is a fucking disaster.

e: I like "Out Of My Head", but it sounds more like a track geared for Trey than Lupe.

Comment

• Champ
                      Needs a hobby
                      • Oct 2008

I like I don't want to care right now.

Comment

• Woy
                        RIP West
                        • Dec 2008

That song is fucking awful.

Comment

• Woy
                          RIP West
                          • Dec 2008

I'm not going to base my review off one listen (I usually spin the CD 4-5 times before reviewing it) but right now the album is just okay. Not revolutionary like I know some Lupe stans will say, but it's not completely awful like other people on other boards are making it out to be.

Maybe my opinion will change, we'll see. Still need a few more spins to register everything before the review.

Comment

• Irish
                            do you see my jesus chain
                            • Oct 2008

It's alright. If I was drunk I think I would enjoy it a lot more.

It's not walking to class music, unless I am drunk.

Comment

• kyhadley
                              Carefree
                              • Oct 2008

Yeah its alright. Definitely not the same Lupe as F&L and The Cool.

Comment

• Obst
                                RIP West
                                • Oct 2008

I had too high of expectations for this.

Comment

Working...