Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

Much like the search for music at music stores, where you would wander the aisles, looking at album art, and in more recent years, sampling it with those junk ear phones, you do the same for the movie biz online.

You wander Netflix aimlessly, looking at movies, watching trailers, reading plots...and you can in the snap of a finger, kick back in your home, lights off, and watch an HD stream of the film in the highest of definition.

You can't get that at the store...

The "movie store" was always the slowest to evolve because they could never get with the times fast enough...it'll happen with Netflix, too. Video stores lost when the switch to DVD occurred. You had these lil mom n pop video stores that had a shit load of inventory that was now, basically, worth nothing. Had to re-stock DVDs, but Blockbuster got exclusives and turned their inventory over faster.

The digital age brought Netflix, much cheaper alternative than Blockbuster with the caveat of "unlimited"...Blockbuster couldn't catch up considering they have a shit load of overhead .

Netflix has morphed a little bit, with the streaming of movies, to meet the "onDemand" age - as have cable companies - and now Redbox, located at convenient stores, make Blockbuster completely irrelevant. But, as time moves on and the movie medium becomes more of an onDemand service, companies like Netflix and Redbox will disappear, too.

Comment

• Hitman
      Fist Pumpin to the Oldies
      • Jun 2009

So Blockbuster was just acquired by the company that I work for, Dish Network. I'm at a loss with what we'll do with it. My theory is that we'll pull an EA and just put the Blockbuster name on our On Demand stuff and rake in the little money their online subscription service and redbox-like kiosks pull in..

Comment

Working...