• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NAHSTE
    Probably owns the site
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by nflman2033
    And what 10 shows are better?
    Even if there aren't 10 other shows better, that doesn't necessarily make this a good show. I will give season 2 a shot but I agree with Buzz, I found the first season to be subpar.

I thought the dialogue was terrible (replacing the writers should help that), the acting to be wooden (hard to tell how much of that was due to the writing) and the characters to be really stereotypical and two dimensional. (You had your red neck, your militant black guy, your asian tech geek, your embattled woman, etc; it was one gay guy away from being a Real World cast.)

It's got good visuals and a mildly compelling plot, and it's set in my hometown so I want it to do well, but the bulk of the show's execution left much to be desired IMO.

Comment

• Diivox
      It's the other way.
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
      it was one gay guy away from being a Real World cast.)
      this line literally made me LOL.

anyway. I agree with you. it was some of the better Zombie stuff i've ever seen, but that aint saying much, and it was nice and dark, but... the show didnt build on its promise, and pretty much everything involving the racist guy was retarded. i never even caught the season finale.

On the other hand, I delayed the Boardwalk Empire finale for a long time, and liked the series alot better when I did finally watch it. I'll give em both a second season, but fuck if I'm pulling another Weeds where I watch it multiple seasons hoping it gets better.

Comment

• nflman2033
        George Brett of VSN
        • Apr 2009

Even if there aren't 10 other shows better, that doesn't necessarily make this a good show. I will give season 2 a shot but I agree with Buzz, I found the first season to be subpar.

I thought the dialogue was terrible (replacing the writers should help that), the acting to be wooden (hard to tell how much of that was due to the writing) and the characters to be really stereotypical and two dimensional. (You had your red neck, your militant black guy, your asian tech geek, your embattled woman, etc; it was one gay guy away from being a Real World cast.)

It's got good visuals and a mildly compelling plot, and it's set in my hometown so I want it to do well, but the bulk of the show's execution left much to be desired IMO.
        anyone who is a fan of zombie movies would find the writing and acting more than sufficient, when you look at the works of George Romero who's films have cheesy dialogue and amateur acting, only people who don't love this show are clearly fans of new school zombie movies that are about action fast moving zombies and lack any kind of social commentary. Basically people who prefer the dawn of the dead remake over the original. if you are in that category then fine, but I think your nuts.

Comment

• nflman2033
          George Brett of VSN
          • Apr 2009

One more thing, first season to first season, it is better than game of thrones, which I found to be totally rushed, and seemingly forced its use of nudity, scenes where it was just totally not necessary.

Comment

• mgoblue2290
            Posts too much
            • Feb 2009

One more thing, first season to first season, it is better than game of thrones, which I found to be totally rushed, and seemingly forced its use of nudity, scenes where it was just totally not necessary.

Comment

• nflman2033
              George Brett of VSN
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by mgoblue2290
              Pulling the pin on a groan grenade in this motherfucker.

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                Posts too much
                • Feb 2009

Pulling the pin on a groan grenade in this motherfucker.

Comment

• Houston
                  Back home
                  • Oct 2008

nflman2033's taste in movies

nflman2033's taste in shows

Comment

• NAHSTE
                    Probably owns the site
                    • Feb 2009

anyone who is a fan of zombie movies would find the writing and acting more than sufficient, when you look at the works of George Romero who's films have cheesy dialogue and amateur acting, only people who don't love this show are clearly fans of new school zombie movies that are about action fast moving zombies and lack any kind of social commentary. Basically people who prefer the dawn of the dead remake over the original. if you are in that category then fine, but I think your nuts.
                    I'm not comparing it to other zombie movies, because it's not a zombie movie. I'm comparing it with every other drama I've ever watched on TV. And compared to the ones I like watching, I found it to be subpar. If you liked the writing, that's fine, but the show runner didn't and he shitcanned all of them. I agree with him and I'm glad he made that call.

Either way it's funny you groaned my post. I provided a pretty level headed criticism of what I found wrong with the show. I could have just said GOD THIS SHOW SUCKS and left it at that. Anyway, I'll probably tune in to season 2, but I found season 1 to be disappointing.

I know it's a matter of taste, but ... seriously?

Comment

• Houston
                      Back home
                      • Oct 2008

So this show isn't fast paced like Zombieland? Cool, I'm fine with that. But can I at least have some interesting dialogue or characters? With all the time not spent on action, this show had so much potential to build on the story and characters and it went nowhere. You talk about new zombie movies, but I'll take the characters from Zombieland over this series any day of the week.

What exactly do you love about this show?

Being the first zombie series I've ever seen I really wanted this show to be good, but it was really hard to watch at times.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                        Probably owns the site
                        • Feb 2009

Wait, I just re-read nflman's post ... did he actually imply that there is social commentary in The Walking Dead?

Yeah ... Rednecks hate black people, Asians are good with directions because they deliver food for a living, and rural police men are awesome. Some commentary.

Comment

• nflman2033
                          George Brett of VSN
                          • Apr 2009

Wait, I just re-read nflman's post ... did he actually imply that there is social commentary in The Walking Dead?

Yeah ... Rednecks hate black people, Asians are good with directions because they deliver food for a living, and rural police men are awesome. Some commentary.
                          how many zombie movies have you seen?

Comment

• NAHSTE
                            Probably owns the site
                            • Feb 2009

how many zombie movies have you seen?
                            How many good TV dramas have you seen?

Comment

• padman59
                              Slayer of Demons
                              • Mar 2009

Glen Mazzara is the new showrunner. Still no word on Frank Darabont's current involvement with the show.

The debate may resume.

Comment

• nflman2033
                                George Brett of VSN
                                • Apr 2009

How many good TV dramas have you seen?
                                Off the top of my head

The sopranos
                                six feet under
                                dexter
                                lost