X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Houston
    Back home
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
    M'fer waits 13 pages to respond to his own topic, and comes at us with some TCM bullshit.

TCM? I watched Rear Window on Cinemax.

Comment

• dell71
      Enter Sandman
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      Threads like this are just dumb as fuck, because people just throw out movies for shock value...overrated movie threads harbor the troll in all of us.

People are throwing out movies with no rating at all...I mean, Into the Wild? Who in the hell thinks about that flick for more than a minute after its over, to which, the extent is "damn, that nigga was dumb!"
      Into the Wild
      IMDB: 8.2/10 - #148 all time
      RottenTomatoes: 82% (critics), 90% (audience)
      Roger Ebert: 4 Stars
      American Film Institute (AFI) put it on their annual list of the year's 10 best films
      VSN's 100 Greatest Movies: #59

No sir, I did not name any movie for shock value.

Originally posted by nflman2033
      that is because of the set up of how movies are rated on IMDB. Shawshank is a movie that appeals to a wide variety of people, so while it may not be the best movie of all time it is a movie liked by the most amount of demographics.

you want to view IMDB, look at The Godfather which used to be #1 is #2 and there is mass amount of audiences that won't watch it due to violence.
      You forgot one other major contributing factor to The Godfather dropping from the top spot: Batman fanboys. When The Dark Knight came out 2 major things happened on IMDB. First, loads of people all jumped on gave it a 10. Second, in an effort to make sure it got the top spot (which it did for a while), many of those same folks gave The Godfather a 1. Read more about it:

How The Dark Knight helped The Shawshank Redemption

Originally posted by Houstonboi
      Thanks for your patience guys My first movie may cause a stir(mainly a groan from nflman)

Rear Window

Accolades:

IMDB Top 250 : 22
      AFI's 100 Movies: 42
      Nukleopatra's favorite movies #1 (srs?)
      A Tasty Burger's favorite movies #51
      Dell's Good, Bad & Ugly Movie Reviews: 10/10

Yikes!

spoilers.......

Among his most popular films, to me this is the odd one out for Mr. Hitchcock.
      As far as directing goes, he's known for working around restrictions and getting his point across with the odds against him. Seems like with this one though, he was a little lazy. Just threw in a heat wave to cover things. It can explain the people keeping their windows open, but not how oblivious these characters were, and how unrealistic it all was. If Stewart is gonna blatantly spy on people with his huge window wide open, could he at least turn off the lights at night time?

For being a Hitchcock film, this movie was severely lacking in suspense. I think one of the main reasons is because of how easy Stewart has it in this film. He can peak into these peoples apartments with too much ease. Also it's kind of ruined by the fact that he's doing it all day long, I wish there was more of a challenge for him. For example if there was only a small window of time every day that he could do this. Or if he had to take extra steps to be more secretive about it. It's hard to feel any suspense when the main character is relaxing on cruise control....literally with his feet up.

What puzzles me most is how people can consider this a top tier film of his, some even saying it's his best. When you look at movies like Pyscho and Vertigo, they're layered with multiples themes, plot twist, and complex characters. And not just those two, I'd also include North by Northwest, Notorious(my personal favorite) and Dial M for Murder even. Rear Window is plain compared to these films. Characters come on screen, and they leave. Nothing really changes or stands out, and there's not too much under the surface.
      Before you start to say that I missed key points of this film, trust me I didn't. For example the fact that the people he was spying on mirrored what him and his girlfriend were going through. Makes sense, it's just not that entertaining.

Redeemable factor: Grace Kelly. On top of her game in this, completely saves the movie.
      Good stuff. Don't think it's Hitch's best, but I still love it. Whether you like it or not, I hope we can all agree it's way better than the unofficial remake "Disturbia."

Comment

• nflman2033
        George Brett of VSN
        • Apr 2009

I could never forget Batman Fan boys :D

and back to Rear Window
        not only is it better than Disturbia, its better than the Rear Window Remake, and better than a lot of movies out there, but its not a top 100 movie as it is ranked

my top 10 Hitchcock films

1. Psycho
        2. Vertigo
        3. Rope
        4. Strangers on a Train
        5. Dial M for Murder
        6. North by Northwest
        7. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
        8. The Birds
        9. Shadow of a Doubt
        10. Marnie

I suppose I could make a case to slot Rear Window over Marnie, but I think Marnie is Underrated vs Rear Window being overrated.

Comment

• Spidey
          • Feb 2009

Jesus, Rivers has just about the worst taste in movies I have seen. With one or two exceptions, I am about 100% in disagreement with every pick.

Comment

• nflman2033
            George Brett of VSN
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Spidey
            Jesus, Rivers has just about the worst taste in movies I have seen. With one or two exceptions, I am about 100% in disagreement with every pick.
            that's how I feel about Warner2BruceTD

Comment

• RosettaStoned
              Throbbing Tebowner
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by nflman2033
              that's how I feel about Warner2BruceTD
              I'm still confused as to how that douche became the most popular locker room poster over the few months I wasn't around. He's still the same mostly douchtastic poster with an occasional post that I'll lol at....
              So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• Houston
                Back home
                • Oct 2008

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by RosettaStoned
                  I'm still confused as to how that douche became the most popular locker room poster over the few months I wasn't around. He's still the same mostly douchtastic poster with an occasional post that I'll lol at....
                  have you seen the competition?

Comment

• Palooza
                    Au Revoir, Shoshanna
                    • Feb 2009

have you seen the competition?
                    :acid:

Comment

• relaxedanderson
                      I am not Abe Kabbible
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by RosettaStoned
                      Fair play, I think W2BTD is an excellent poster. I don't necessarily agree with his politics but he regularly makes a good point well and generally enriches our humble message board to a degree that puts the rest of us to shame.

However WBT6L, I must say you have fucking appalling taste in motion pictures.

I think I would rather have an autistic, teenage, asbestos-addled protozoa select my film rental list than you.

I'd be genuinely interested to see your top 10 movies of all time though. Mostly out of morbid curiosity but also party out of a sub-conscious need to slowly erode my cock with tears for the future of mankind.

I assume Mike Leigh's 'Hard Labour' is about #5 or #6 on your list.
                      Z(u, w) = Z0(w)[1-exp{-b(w)u}]

...and she said "Well I don't think you're a fishmonger. I think you've done a plop in the wrong lavatory."

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

I don't care for most things.

Comment

• relaxedanderson
                          I am not Abe Kabbible
                          • Feb 2009

I don't care for most things.
                          Admirable, in a way.

Yet cynicism is so easy.

What turns you on cinematically?
                          Z(u, w) = Z0(w)[1-exp{-b(w)u}]

...and she said "Well I don't think you're a fishmonger. I think you've done a plop in the wrong lavatory."

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by relaxedanderson
                            Admirable, in a way.

Yet cynicism is so easy.

What turns you on cinematically?

In no particular order, here are some movies I like off the top of my head. I will limit this to dramas.

The Prestige
                            Goodfellas
                            American Beauty
                            Full Metal Jacket
                            Memento
                            Shawshank
                            The Departed
                            Return to Paradise
                            The Usual Suspects
                            Jerry McGuire

Comment

• NAHSTE
                              Probably owns the site
                              • Feb 2009

The Prestige
                              Goodfellas
                              American Beauty
                              Full Metal Jacket
                              Memento
                              Shawshank
                              The Departed
                              Return to Paradise
                              The Usual Suspects

Jerry McGuire

Comment

• Houston
                                Back home
                                • Oct 2008

Return to Paradise

Didn't know you liked the movie that much, I still haven't finished it.

Comment

Working...