Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KINGOFOOTBALL
    • Feb 2009

GI JOE Retaliation

Looks good...but wheres cobra commander ?
    Best reason to have a license.
  • JayDizzle
    Let's Go All The Way...
    • Nov 2008

There's at least one movie worth wasting money on this upcoming summer then.

Not that it's a new direction but if Hollywood is willing to appease past childhoods with The Rock, Bruce Willis, G.I. Joe, Mountainside Ninja Fights, Explosions, Hot Bitches and More Explosions... I'm down.

I would assume that The Rock is playing as Heavy Duty having not seen the first film.

Comment

• Blade
      Walking SAM site
      • Feb 2009

I am probably the resident nerd on Gi Joe here.....I have the comics, the movies, the entire tv series on dvd and all the toys, including the tank and the plane.

So here is a quick analysis of the trailer.

- You see 3 ninjas on the mountain. That's Snake Eyes, Jinx and Blind master (I am dead sure Kamakura isn't in this movie)

- Then you see Flint and Lady Jay (According to canon, they bumping uglies) in the transport sitting together ready to jump. Being led by Duke (Tatum)

- More shots of Jinx Training, Snake Eyes Reveal and shots of the mountain range from earlier.

- Followed by Duke and.....Road Block (The Rock) in the hero shot at night, discussing a surprise.

- An ambush follows, you can see Duke being the bad ass and pullin bunch of guys to safety, he's also seen pumping up Flint at one point. Lady Jaye firing away not sure why, and Road Block jumping into the well to avoid the attack. I actually think Duke either dies or is severely wounded in this attack.

- Next you see the Prez, played by Jonathan Pryce. In the previous movie, if you haven't seen it

Zartan played by Arnold Vosloo, infiltrates the white house, kidnaps the real POTUS, so this is the fake one at the press conference i.e. Zartan
      At the press conference he denounces the Joes and claims he had the team eliminated.

- While the conference is happening, you see scenes of Snakes being incarcerated. At the 1:00 mark, a good look of the Prez with OMFG Cobra Commander and Firefly (Stevenson)!!!

- More cuts of Road Block evading, and Flint and Lady Jaye coming out of cover with Roadblock and heading off to save the world.

- More scenes of the leftover team getting together. Primarily Jinx showing some ridic moves sparring with Snakes. Scenes of Storm Shadow making moves as well.

- Shots of Lady Jaye hotness mixed in with some action shots of the various characters.

- Then a crazy mountain side skirmish between the Red Ninjas and Snake and Jinx. The Red Ninjas, were an offshoot of the Arashikage clan Snakes and Storm Shadow and Jinx trained under. They blamed Snakes for the assasination of the Hard Master, and wanted him dead.

- Then the icing on the cake turns out to be Bruce Willis, who is playing General Joe Colton. The very first Gi Joe, my guess is Colton is brought out of retirement in this movie.

I am pretty happy with the trailer, I like how it seems they are following the character canon, a lot more closely than in the first movie. The story borrows a lot from accross the Joe universe. Duke does actually die in the comics and gets severly injured in the 1985 animated flick. The US Govt does get infiltrated at the highest levels in the TV series. And Colton being brought in is really cool, the one of many things I didn't like about the first movie was how they pussied out Hawk. Looks like Colton's going to be the badass from the comics.

Yea....I know too much about this. Prolly as much as Goblin knows about Batman. But I love this stuff.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
        • Feb 2009

Duke died! They just dubbed in a happier ending because of optimus backlash =-(

I will be asking more as I love GIJOE. Am I reading right that cobra commander IS in there ?

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          Highwayman
          • Feb 2009

Big Lob is in this movie or I riot!

Blade...when does Duke die in the comics? I read the Marvel series and he didn't die. Or, are you talking about General Flagg? And yes, he was supposed to die in the movie but because everyone got upset over Optimus dying in the Transformers movie, they decided to dub over the "Duke's gonna be ok!" line.

Comment

• Bmore
            The True Free-Man
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
            Duke died! They just dubbed in a happier ending because of optimus backlash =-(

I will be asking more as I love GIJOE. Am I reading right that cobra commander IS in there ?
            Yea at the 1:00 mark, POTUS is talking to him.

You can see the logo on his helmet.

They make it a bit confusing by showing a scene of SnakeEyes right before, but if you pay close attention, the guy in the middle of the next scene isn't Snake Eyes.

Comment

• Houston
              Back home
              • Oct 2008

Well it definitely looks better then the previous one did.

Comment

• Blade
                Walking SAM site
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                Big Lob is in this movie or I riot!

Blade...when does Duke die in the comics? I read the Marvel series and he didn't die. Or, are you talking about General Flagg? And yes, he was supposed to die in the movie but because everyone got upset over Optimus dying in the Transformers movie, they decided to dub over the "Duke's gonna be ok!" line.
                The issues from #109-111 confused my memory.

Sorry about that, looks like the experience he had in those issues put him in critical condition.

Looks like he's never died

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

How could you miss Cobra Commander in that, KoF?

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                    How could you miss Cobra Commander in that, KoF?
                    A. The 1:27 mark had a similar looking mask.

B. I had two redtube tabs open

C. IMDB made no mention of C.C or Destro

D. LOL at Tunnel Rat but no Big Lob.

Comment

• Blade
                      Walking SAM site
                      • Feb 2009

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISovATqk9Ic"]Big Lob Greatest Hits - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• 1ke
                        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
                        • Mar 2009

Snake Eyes

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                          • Feb 2009

Well I was looking over comic con stuff to see if there were any panels or anything about GIJOE. I for whatever reason thought the release was in August.
                          Apparently somewhere along the way it was delayed form June 29 to March 2013.

Story pasted below. Kind of a spoiler but I think watching the trailer it was easy to figure out and that story line is no longer there.

Ever since I scooped the news a week ago about G.I. Joe: Retaliation moving from June 29th to March 29th, 2013, no one was buying Paramount‘s excuse that “adding 3D” was the only reason for the 9 month delay. Least of all me. So I did some snooping. And what I found out shows the difficult decisions which Hollywood moguls are facing in this challenging box office environment when even franchises aren’t sure things. (Witness last weekend’s Men In Black 3.) And at what point and at what cost do the top execs make changes in their films already shooting or in post-production or even five weeks out from release in order to head off a disaster?

Hollywood was gobsmacked that Paramount vacated the primo date this summer, especially because the studio blew a wad on a Super Bowl commercial and already was starting TV and outdoor ads for GI Joe 2. Not to mention the toys, warehouses full of them ready and waiting, already on shelves. Or the big screen trailer attacjed this past weekend to MIB3. But the fact is that Paramount became extremely concerned about G.I. Joe 2‘s box office prospects worldwide after its test scores were mediocre to GI Joe 2 Release Datebad. Reshoots were needed. Plus, the moguls realized what a complete miscalculation it was to kill off Channing Tatum in the sequel. And even more so at the start of the film. You will remember that Tatum wasn’t a star when the first G.I. Joe was released. But since then his back-to-back successes in The Vow and 21 Jump Street have made him into a draw. And it turned out that the only bright spot for audiences as a result of the G.I. Joe 2 testing was the aborted relationship between Tatum and Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. Plus look at the movie poster for Retaliation: you wouldn’t even know Tatum is in the sequel. Now the movie is being reworked — and reshoots don’t lose a valuable leading man like Tatum by killing him off. “The 3D is an excuse as to not reveal the Tatum of it all,” one of my sources tells me. Of course this June Tatum appears in Steven Soderbergh’s Magic Mike as a stripper (inspired by Tatum’s own experiences, pre-stardom). My sources insist Paramount didn’t want uniformed Channing to compete with stripping Channing on the same weekend. Not with those abs.

Evidently thats TWICE a writer has killed Duke in a movie and twice he refuses to stay dead. The plainest Joe is apparently the toughest.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                            • Sep 2024

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
                            Well I was looking over comic con stuff to see if there were any panels or anything about GIJOE. I for whatever reason thought the release was in August.
                            Apparently somewhere along the way it was delayed form June 29 to March 2013.

Story pasted below. Kind of a spoiler but I think watching the trailer it was easy to figure out and that story line is no longer there.

Evidently thats TWICE a writer has killed Duke in a movie and twice he refuses to stay dead. The plainest Joe is apparently the toughest.
                            They killed off most of the people from the first, seems like they were attempting to be too liberal with that. The few hopes I had for this to even be an enjoyable popcorn action flick are done.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                              • Feb 2009

Agreed.
                              Wish they would have gotten someone with half a brain to write this. Ninjas , Scifi , Hot chicks , One of the most Iconic bad guys ever. How can you fuck it up this bad ?

Comment

Working...