The Newsroom (Aaron Sorkins new HBO show)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

It is really tough to get around the liberal agenda and the hindsight shenanigans...but when you do, its actually a very well written show. I go through every episode with "damn, this shit couldn't have been more absurd" and "damn, that's really good"...they have yet to find a happy medium.

Comment

• NAHSTE
      Probably owns the site
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      It is really tough to get around the liberal agenda and the hindsight shenanigans...but when you do, its actually a very well written show. I go through every episode with "damn, this shit couldn't have been more absurd" and "damn, that's really good"...they have yet to find a happy medium.
      Yeah, if unrealistic dialogue, ham-fisted symbolism, generic TV tropes from 1980 (if a character repeatedly getting a drink thrown in his face is a device you are employing in 2012, you should probably freshen up your material) and terribly antiquated and two-dimensional gender dynamics are your thing, the writing is great!

Comment

• RosettaStoned
        Throbbing Tebowner
        • Oct 2008

Yeah women are too lazy to throw drinks anymore. They'll just post about it on facebook.
        So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• Matt
          No longer a noob
          • Jun 2012

Every writer has been fired for Season 2

Comment

• cf24
            WESTBROOK
            • Feb 2009

Tonights episode was really good.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              Highwayman
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Matt
              Every writer has been fired for Season 2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...eason-2-352056
              RIP Gideon Yago.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                Highwayman
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                Yeah, if unrealistic dialogue, ham-fisted symbolism, generic TV tropes from 1980 (if a character repeatedly getting a drink thrown in his face is a device you are employing in 2012, you should probably freshen up your material) and terribly antiquated and two-dimensional gender dynamics are your thing, the writing is great!
                All of this stems from the fact the show isn't exactly moving in a linear direction...sounds like shit as a backdrop, but its a weekly non-episodic television show that doesn't exactly develop its characters. Each episode is essentially in its bubble with a news story of the week and the end result is no actual character development, and the details of your post is the result.

At episode 9 and still pulling the revisionist news story of the week...its now 9 weeks of the "unrealistic dialogue...et al"...I figured we'd be beyond that at this point...

Terry Crews is bawse though...

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by cf24
                  Tonights episode was really good.
                  Eh...58 minutes of "we think...no, now we know this is about Osama...but we are going to get it right this time...wait, you got a message from Joe Biden 20 minutes ago?"

Comment

• citizenerased
                    Rugby World Cup Champion
                    • Mar 2009

Upward trend over the past two weeks at least, not great yet, but still watchable/worth the weekly download, especially now that currently the only decent things on are Breaking Bad, Suits and Burn Notice (and Burn Notice is going downhill).

Couple of good one liners from Will, roflcoptered at the one where he told the cops that his bodyguard was a world famous jockey.
                    Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair

Comment

• NAHSTE
                      Probably owns the site
                      • Feb 2009

Last night's was the first one I couldn't sit all the way through, I lasted 16 minutes. Hit "stop" on the DVR as soon as Charlie said "I THINK WE GOT BIN LADEN!" ... His prescient wisdom based solely on having someone read him a tweet from The Rock moments before, and him somehow knowing that The Rock had a cousin who was a Navy SEAL.

I mean, come the fuck on.

Comment

• Matt
                        No longer a noob
                        • Jun 2012

Newsroom Season 2

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                          Highwayman
                          • Feb 2009

Such a terrible show.

They fired the whole writing staff after Season One...I guess I'll tune in for Season Two like its a car crash.

Comment

• Matt
                            No longer a noob
                            • Jun 2012

HBO has released a trailer for season 2 of Aaron Sorkin's "The Newsroom" premiering July 14th. The drama about a network cable news station will continue exploring the lives of its reporters and producers as they deal with romantic entanglements, big egos and journalistic integrity.
                            Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels) is catching flack for a comment he made comparing the Tea Party to the American Taliban. Meanwhile, Sloan Sabbith (Olivia Munn) may be involved in a potential sex scandal when alleged naked pictures of her surface.
                            Jim (John Gallagher Jr.) opts to follow Mitt Romney's campaign trail in an effort to escape the inter-office love triangle he's in with Maggie (Allison Pill) and Don (Thomas Sadowski), indicating that the 2012 presidential election will serve as the real-life backdrop for the show in its second season.
                            It's dramatic, full of threats, elicit sex and political shakeups. Yup, it's "The Newsroom."
                            Watch the trailer below and let us know what you think.

LOL

Can't wait for Occupy WallStreet stuff.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                              Probably owns the site
                              • Feb 2009

My favorite hate watch is BACK baby.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                                I Can Score Goals
                                • Dec 2008

Comment