Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dell71
    Enter Sandman
    • Mar 2009

BTW, all the links in the OP are finally fixed...again.

Comment

• dell71
      Enter Sandman
      • Mar 2009

Due Date
      Directed by Todd Phillips.
      2011. Rated R, 95 minutes.
      Cast:
      Robert Downey Jr.
      Zach Galifianakis
      Jamie Foxx
      Michelle Monaghan
      Danny McBride
      Juliette Lewis

In Atlanta on business, Peter (Downey) is about to board a plane home to Los Angeles in plenty of time for the birth of his first child. His wife Sarah (Monaghan) is scheduled to have a C-Section in five days. A not-so-lucky chance meeting with an aspiring actor named Ethan (Galifianakis) sends his life spiraling out of control. Because of Ethan, Peter is kicked off the plane. He’s subsequently put on the “no fly” list, doesn’t have his wallet containing all his money and ID and is put into the position of having to ride across the country with the delusional and less than intelligent Ethan.

Downey gives us a perfect straight man. He plays Peter’s mostly humorless personality to the hilt. His job is to build on the humor initiated by others. He does this flawlessly by reacting to things not always as most of us would, but the way most of us would like. It’s over the top, but just enough to keep from becoming totally presposterous. The effect is that the initial joke makes us laugh and Downey’s reaction makes us laugh even more.

The job of getting us laughing in the first place is most often handled by Galifianakis. Much like his work in The Hangover, his character is completely oblivious to the inappropriateness of what he’s doing until after the fact. It’s a tactic that works brilliantly time and again. This is due in large part to the way he plays the role. His antics are outlandish but he plays it as if what he’s doing is completely natural.

From time to time, other are brought in to help create humor onscreen. The cameo by Danny McBride is most successful. Offscreen, director Todd Phillips handles the load with relative ease. With the aforementioned The Hangover as well as Old School and a few others under his belt, he’s proven adept at taking silly premises and making them far funnier than they should be. Many comedies throw everything against the wall to see what sticks. Once again, he seems able to throw the right things.

MY SCORE: 7.5/10

Comment

• dell71
        Enter Sandman
        • Mar 2009

Boys Don’t Cry
        Directed by Kimberly Peirce.
        1999. Rated R, 116 minutes.
        Cast:
        Hilary Swank
        Chloë Sevigny
        Peter Sarsgaard
        Brandon Sexton III
        Alicia Goranson
        Alison Folland
        Jeanetta Arnette
        Rob Campbell
        Matt McGrath

Right away, we find out the one thing in Brandon’s (Swank) life that has caused him the most problems. He is really a she name Teena. Determined to live and pass as a man, this behavior is mostly an issue when whatever girl he’s dating finds out his secret. This is usually followed by Brandon being chased and/or beaten by a group of the girl’s male relatives and friends. It doesn’t look like a fun existence, but Brandon seems bound to keep repeating the cycle. It also appears this way to Brandon’s cousin Lonny (McGrath). Lonny eventually becomes tired of all the drama and decides that Brandon can no longer stay with him in his trailer. With nowhere to go, Brandon falls in with a crowd of ruffians led by John (Sarsgaard). They whisk Brandon away from his hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska to Falls City about an hour away. Shortly, he meets Lana (Sevigny), the girl of his dreams. Based on a true story.

To say Brandon is confused or sick is a matter of opinion and belief. To say Brandon’s deceitful and misguided is fact. His insistence on keeping up a lie at the expense of the emotions of others would normally make him totally unlikeable. Thanks to a masterful performance by Hilary Swank and a very well written script, this isn’t the case. Those of us who haven’t gone through the same struggle probably won’t be in love with Brandon. However, we begin to understand and gain empathy. We admire his courage in some areas while simultaneously lamenting his lack of it in others. To facilitate this, Swank mixes the wild enthusiasm of a child in a candy story with the same child’s fear of being caught stealing. We understand both ends of the spectrum and everything in between.

As well as we come to know Brandon, he’s not the only person we feel for. Our hearts also go out to Lana. She wants us to think she’s tough, that she can handle whatever comes her way. Eventually, we come to realize that not only is she not such a tough nut, but she’s a perpetual victim. She’s a victim of her mother’s carelessness and of the affections of others, including Brandon. Though less heralded, Chloë Sevigny’s performance is no less effective than Swank’s. The surprise is that after this and other critically acclaimed portrayals early in her career, Sevigny hasn’t quite reached the level of stardom she seemed destined to.

Boys Don’t Cry is a movie that asks us to examine the characters on the screen and ourselves, as well. It holds our beliefs up to the light and gives us a look at them we might not have taken. For some, the protagonist will pose a challenge. Brandon is an affront to all they believe. Will they be able to see passed sexuality and into humanity? This is also a fascinating drama that gives us a ride on an emotional roller coaster. After all the climbs, drops and loops we are entertained and drained.

MY SCORE: 9/10

Comment

• Fox1994
          Posts too much
          • Dec 2008

Can you give me a spoiler for Limitless? Haha. Great reviews, by the way. Kinda interested in Boys Don't Cry, now. Kinda intersted in Due Date. Somehow you convinced me to read your review of You Again by basically saying 'cmonnnn, cmonnnn.' Idk why I did it, but it was a well-written review, even of a shitty movie.

Comment

• dell71
            Enter Sandman
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Fox1994
            Can you give me a spoiler for Limitless?

Eddie borrows $100K from the loan shark & immediately turns that into millions. The easy move here is to pay the guy back as soon as possible and move on with becoming all-everything. Instead, he doesn't pay the guy back so the bad guy comes looking for him. After the guy roughs Eddie up a bit, he takes one of the magic pills off him and pops it himself. So now he's a super-smart thug & causing Eddie all sorts of headaches. Again, this could've been avoided if he just gives the guy his $100K back when he was supposed to like the rest of us would've. Hell, he could've given the guy a million if he wanted, he was multiplying his money so fast it wouldn't have mattered.

Comment

• Fox1994
              Posts too much
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by dell71

Eddie borrows $100K from the loan shark & immediately turns that into millions. The easy move here is to pay the guy back as soon as possible and move on with becoming all-everything. Instead, he doesn't pay the guy back so the bad guy comes looking for him. After the guy roughs Eddie up a bit, he takes one of the magic pills off him and pops it himself. So now he's a super-smart thug & causing Eddie all sorts of headaches. Again, this could've been avoided if he just gives the guy his $100K back when he was supposed to like the rest of us would've. Hell, he could've given the guy a million if he wanted, he was multiplying his money so fast it wouldn't have mattered.
              Wow. Fuck this movie. haha

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                Highwayman
                • Feb 2009

Boys Don't Cry was a good flick.

Ever see Girl, Interrupted?

Comment

• dell71
                  Enter Sandman
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Boys Don't Cry was a good flick.

Ever see Girl, Interrupted?
                  Have not, just never got around to it.

Comment

• Houston
                    Back home
                    • Oct 2008

Should I watch Infernal Affairs or The Departed first? I'm leaning towards the original because I'm not too interested in The Departed.

Comment

• A Tasty Burgerr
                      ▄█▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Houston
                      Should I watch Infernal Affairs or The Departed first? I'm leaning towards the original because I'm not too interested in The Departed.
                      Why?

Comment

• dell71
                        Enter Sandman
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Houston
                        If you're going to watch both, go with Infernal Affairs first. It is an excellent flick.

If you're only going to watch one, I suggest The Departed. It's a more fleshed out version of I.F. The endings of the two are slightly different.

Comment

• dell71
                          Enter Sandman
                          • Mar 2009

Dell's Classics Presents:

The Elephant Man
                          Directed by David Lynch.
                          1980. Rated PG, 124 minutes.
                          Cast:
                          John Hurt
                          Anthony Hopkins
                          Anne Bancroft
                          John Gielgud
                          Wendy Hiller
                          Freddie Jones
                          Michael Elphick
                          Hannah Gordon
                          Dexter Fletcher

John Merrick (Hurt) has been massively deformed all his life. He has been dubbed “The Elephant Man” and is forced to put himself on display as a freak at a carnival sideshow. He is such the draw, the carnival’s owner Mr. Bytes (Jones) calls him “my treasure”. Dr. Treves (Hopkins) is a well respected surgeon who wishes to study “the creature”. After John suffers a beating at the hands of Bytes the doctor takes him in, giving him a room in an isolated part of the hospital where the doc works. As word spreads about the institution’s newest resident, curiosity rises. Once again, people are flocking to see “The Elephant Man. Is Dr. Treves really any better than a sideshow proprietor? The good doctor eventually questions his own motives. The agendas of most others is painfully obvious. They either fear John’s grotesqueness or seek to profit from it by exploiting him. Those who do neither brazenly point and stare. Thus, the movie becomes an exploration of bigotry and the courage some will show in the face of it. We think the lines between good and evil are clearly drawn. However, we’re made to wonder if even the good guys are causing harm. Based on a true story.

Director David Lynch never lets us off the hook by skimming portions of the story. He paces his movie very deliberately, painstakingly so, at some points. This lets us know John intimately. We learn that despite his deformities and the way he’s been treated there is no bitterness in him. There is only his need to be accepted as a man. This makes him a completely sympathetic character.

There are no subplots to speak of. The movie focuses solely on the plight of Mr. Merrick. This tunnel-vision approach gives the film something I find lacking in other work by Lynch: coherence. It is not some cryptic mass of celluloid you have to wade through seventeen times before deciding you finally get it. It’s easily accessible without being easily formulated. Within its rather normal frame many of the director’s nuances and idiosyncracies are contained. However, he never lets them overwhelm the movie. Instead, they flesh it out.

The duty of fleshing out John only falls partly on the man who plays him, John Hurt. To his credit, Hurt plays the role with a perfect naivete and timidness. He wears the latter as a shield. It often fails him, but nonetheless comforts him by its presence. Like Frankenstein’s monster would eventually come to be played for laughs, it would’ve been easy to have Merrick be a bumbling fool, gaining our affections through laughter. Hurt plays him as a man keenly aware that his life is no laughing matter. The rest of the responsibility for making John whole belongs to Dr. Treves. Through an excellent performance by Anthony Hopkins, he draws the man out of the freak.

When its all said and done, we’ve gone on a tumultuous journey with a man that took no easy steps. We root for him not just because we want him to do well, but because we need him to. If he does, it reaffirms our belief that enough of us human beings are decent people. If he doesn’t he will not have failed, we will. In either case, it begs us to reevaluate how we treat those who are different from ourselves.

MY SCORE: 10/10

Comment

• Fox1994
                            Posts too much
                            • Dec 2008

Still haven't seen it, but you've given me reason to.

Comment

• Maynard
                              stupid ass titles
                              • Feb 2009

what does internal affairs have to do with the departed?

Comment

• dell71
                                Enter Sandman
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
                                what does internal affairs have to do with the departed?
                                The Departed is the American remake of Infernal Affairs (yes, inFernal with an F - inTernal with a T is a lame Richard Gere movie).

Comment

Working...