Leonard Nimoy
    DeForest Kelley
    James Doohan
    Walter Koenig
    Nichelle Nichols
    George Takei
    Stephen Collins
    Persis Khambatta

Cpt. Kirk (Shatner), actually now an Admiral, reassumes control of the USS Enterprise in order to stop a mysterious enormous and extremely powerful cloud from destroying Earth. Honestly, Trek has never been so boring. However, to give it a few points in its favor you have to understand the circumstances under which this movie was made.

Of course, common knowledge is that Star Trek was a late 1960s television series that was far more successful in syndication than its original run. So it was known that the show had a loyal following but not if that was enough to guarantee the movie would be a hit.

Two things were working against it. First, it had been roughly a decade since the show last aired an original episode; remember "The Next Generation" and all of the other ST spinoffs hadn't happened, yet. Not only was no one sure if the public really wanted new ST material, but how do you introduce it to new fans? Second, no one was remaking old TV shows into movies at the time. Conventional wisdom said that TV shows and their stars didn't translate well to theaters. All of this equals a movie meant to bring in new fans while appeasing hardcore Trekkies.

To accomplish this we get a plot that would be right at home on the TV series, but feels stretched thin here, and the actors who played our heroes in the show reprising their roles despite having gone up a uniform size or two. We also get lots of iconic moments, themes and lines rehashed for the big screen. This includes dramatic grand entrances for several of the most famous characters. And way too many lingering, loving shots of the Enterprise doing nothing. All of this makes the movie move sooooo s l o w. Its 136 minute runtime feels more like 136 hours.

For those new fans there's lots of special fx which look like a laser light show at best and, by now, have aged poorly. In fact, the fx of the first two Star Wars movies, released in 1977 & 1980, respectively, have held up far better. All of this might be forgiven if it had just been more fun. Its the same trap that befell Superman Returns just a few years ago. It's so reverential of its source material that it strait-jackets itself into just giving praise to it without ever becoming a good ST experience.

MY SCORE: 4.5/10

Comment

• dell71
      Enter Sandman
      • Mar 2009

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
      Directed by Nicholas Meyer.
      1982. Rated PG, 113 minutes.
      Cast:
      William Shatner
      Leonard Nimoy
      Ricardo Montalban
      DeForest Kelley
      Walter Koenig
      Nichelle Nichols
      James Doohan
      George Takei
      Bibi Besch
      Kirstie Alley
      Paul Winfield

No, I’ve never dressed in costume or went to conventions. Still, I was a bit of a Trekkie as a youth. I used to watch re-runs of the original series nearly every weeknight at 11 PM. I never could get into any of the spin-offs that followed years later, but Cpt. James Tiberius Kirk was always my guy. One of my favorite episodes featured Ricardo Montalban, AKA the guy from Fantasy Island, as Khan. He was one of the coolest villains in the show’s history. The episode ends with Khan, and some of his cohorts, being banished to a planet with no hope of getting off. I’ve left out some details which the movie will re-cap for you since it knows the gap between when this show first aired and when Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan hit theaters is so great many in the audience will have either never seen it, heard of it, or plain just can’t remember what happened. Now thirty plus years since the movie came out, that’s certainly the case.

We pick things up with my guy, now an Admiral since Star Trek: The Motion Picture, very unhappy with his job’s lack of excitement. This means, Adm. Kirk (Shatner) spends the early parts of the movie longing for the days of galaxy hopping and banging green chicks. His nostalgia is only worsened by the fact he’s about to go on a three week rip on his beloved Enterprise, but it’s only a training exercise. Meanwhile, one of Kirk’s former subordinates, Mr. Chekov (Koenig), lands on a barren planet with his new leader, Cpt. Terrell (Winfield). Much to their chagrin, they run into Khan and his ragtag bunch of survivors. As he is happy to remind us, Khan possesses a superior intellect, therefore he recognizes Chekov and remembers him as a member of Kirk’s crew. In short order, he devises a plan to exact his revenge against James T. Luckily for Kirk, when he has to spring into action he has some familiar faces on-board: Spock (Nimoy), Bones (Kelley), Scotty (Doohan), Sulu (Takei), and Uhura (Nichols), along with a bunch of fresh faced youngsters. Among the kids on the crew is young Kirstie Alley as Saavik, a Vulcan in training to become commander of her own starship.

The movie plays out as a chess match between Kirk and Khan. I know that doesn’t sound thrilling, but this is a fun movie. William Shatner plays things surprisingly subdued, but does get into his signature over-the-top style during verbal confrontations with his adversary. On the other hand, Ricardo Montalban’s performance is so deliciously hammy it’s not to be resisted. This guy doesn’t just chew scenery, he devours it large chunks at a time. How he wasn’t cast more often in villainous roles is beyond me. Trust me, anyone who can make Shatner appear restrained is doing big things.

While The Motion Picture feels like an overly long and boring love letter to the USS Enterprise, this feels like an actual episode of the show. That’s because lots of things the series was known for, good and bad/cheesy, are present in Wrath of Khan. There is a certain charm to seeing Kirk and company thrash around in an effected manner when their ship has been hit. Ditto for seeing some poor sap instantly drop to the floor when Spock grabs his shoulder. Spock himself provides us with was certainly, at the time, and is probably still the most shocking moment in franchise history. It gives us a jolt because it goes against the rules of the franchise. Precisely for that reason, it works wonderfully. It elevates what was a good ST flick to being arguably the best cinematic entry in the canon.

MY SCORE: 8/10

Comment

• dell71
        Enter Sandman
        • Mar 2009

Star Trek Into Darkness
        Directed by J.J. Abrams.
        2013. Rated PG-13, 132 minutes.
        Cast:
        Chris Pine
        Zachary Quinto
        Zoe Saldana
        Simon Pegg
        John Cho
        Anton Yelchin
        Karl Urban
        Benedict Cumberbatch
        Bruce Greenwood
        Peter Weller
        Alice Eve
        Leonard Nimoy

After an attack on a Federation building, all of the Fed’s captains and their first officers convene to discuss how to handle the situation. During this meeting, the same person responsible for the original attack strikes again, killing Cpt. Pike (Greenwood). None other than James T. Kirk (Pine) volunteers to take his prized ship, and its crew, to find this man and bring him to justice the Old Testament way: flooding his hind parts with torpedoes. Another voyage of the Starship Enterprise ensues.

In keeping with its immediate predecessor, 2009’s Star Trek, this one’s heavy on the action and the special fx that make it possible. Without question, it excels in these areas. The Enterprise goes through hell and looks good doing it. Stuff blows up real good and the stunts are exciting. This makes the whole movie feel big, brash, and lots of fun. As a result, the slightly over two hour run time goes by pretty quickly.

Also helping time fly by is the movie’s sense of humor. Most of this comes from Kirk and Scotty (Pegg). Their exchanges are fun, even when they’re supposed to be serious. This includes their conversations with other characters, as both actors play their roles with a wink and a nod. In Pine’s case it’s a nice mix of arrogance and the ability to not take himself too seriously that fits his character perfectly. In Pegg’s case, and in that of Karl Urban as Bones and Anton Yelchin as Chekov, what works are over the top impersonations of iconic figures. They seem to know the story isn’t about them; that they’re there merely as stand-ins for the actors who once played them and, therefore, must behave as we remember them. For the most part, it works. To her credit, Zoe Saldans continues to make Uhura her own. Unfortunately, she isn’t given anything to do this time around other than be pissed off at Spock (Quinto) for being an insensitive boyfriend.

Speaking of Spock, he seems to be the person this movie really hitches its wagon to. It spends much of the time between action sequences exploring the duality and complications of a man who is half-Vulcan and half-human. They play this right through to the end, even inverting the climax of its its most direct influence, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, to do so. Zachary Quinto is perfect all along the way. Even though Chris Pine continues to do very well as Kirk, there are still other actors I can see in the captain’s chair. Quinto has made it so that I can see no one else playing Spock. Exceptions, of course, to Leonard Nimoy who has a pointless cameo here.

With regards to the actual plot, there are some issues. Namely our heroes, who are supposed to be the best and brightest the Federation has to offer make a succession of dumb decisions which only serve to move the story forward, not solve their problems. I realize this is the case in lots of movies, but it seems too many times I asked ‘why would you do that?’ Other things are a bit predictable. Then again, that may hinge on whether or not you’ve seen Wrath of Khan so I can let that slide. In spite of these things Star Trek Into Darkness is a fun ride that continues to strip the franchise of much of its pretentiousness in favor of self-deprecating humor wrapped in a cooler veneer.

MY SCORE: 7.5/10

Comment

• dell71
          Enter Sandman
          • Mar 2009

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
          Directed by Lasse Hallström.
          2011. Rated PG-13, 107 minutes.
          Cast:
          Ewan McGregor
          Emily Blunt
          Kristin Scott Thomas
          Amr Waked
          Tom Mison
          Rachael Stirling
          Catherine Steadman
          Tom Beard
          Jill Baker

Yemeni Sheikh Muhammed (Waked) is an avid fisherman and called a visionary by Harriet (Blunt) who handles his affairs in Britain. She’s been tasked with helping him introduce salmon fishing to the Yemen. This is problematic because there are no salmon native to the region and the region doesn’t seem conducive to salmon. For help, she contacts expert Dr. Alfred Jones (McGregor). He assesses the situation and tells her to go suck an egg, more or less. However, he’s coerced into helping her by his superiors, themselves under pressure from Patricia Maxwell (Thomas), the Prime Minister’s press secretary. She’s desperately trying to find something to show that British-Yemeni/Islamic relations are improving and this seems to be the most viable option. To make it work, Dr. Jones and Harriet will have to work closely together on repeated business trips to the Yemen where they’ll stay at the Sheikh’s palace as the only two guests. In case you weren’t sure where this is going, the doctor’s marriage is on the rocks and Harriet’s boyfriend, a soldier who is sent to Afghanistan (“or somewhere”) goes missing-in-action. Cue romance.

The most striking thing about Salmon Fishing in the Yemen is its visuals. It’s no special fx extravaganza, but the area where the Sheikh does his fishing is beautiful. We get to see it from a number of angles, when it’s quiet and when water is raging through its alleys. Unfortunately, there’s an entire movie between those shots that isn’t nearly as riveting. It moseys along without any real sizzle until it tries to inject some late. Before then, McGregor fawns over Blunt because his wife only cares that he keeps his job so the mortgage will continue being paid. By the way, she’s got a high-paying jet-setting job herself. Meanwhile, Blunt goes from being charming to blubbering incessantly about her presumed dead boyfriend. Both performers turn in solid work, but things never get to the point where it makes us tell ourselves that we just have to see how this is going to turn out.

Two characters break up the monotony, but only one does it in a good way. Our sheikh is burdened with giving the movie depth. Sadly, he strains to do so before ultimately failing. He plans on using the whole fishing thing as a grand metaphor. We get it. It’s nothing to spend a lifetime pondering, but it’s okay on its own. What undermines it is the steady stream of Yoda-isms he drops in conversations. He sounds like a walking talking fortune cookie. On the other hand, Kristin Scott Thomas is of greater effect as the relentless brash press secretary. She’s funny and lively. The movie instantly gets better when she’s on the screen.

Eventually, Dr. Jones and Harriet’s relationship goes through some typical rom-com contrivances we see coming from miles away and the local, unapologetically Muslim contingent provides some opposition to the sheikh. The issue with the former is predictability. To be fair, suddenly going in an unexpected direction probably wouldn’t work for this movie so we can let this slide. More problematic is the latter. Despite all the lip-service paid to working on Britain’s relationship with Islamics, it comes across as hypocritical. It’s because “the other,” Muslims in this case, are painted as savages. The one who embraces our (western) ideals, the Sheikh, is automatically assumed to be better than the rest. In short, none of the other Muslims in the film are actually people, they’re just perpetually agitated agitators. They show up, grumble about what’s going on, make threats (or make good on them), and disappear.

That said, many of the movie’s problems would be forgivable, or at least less noticeable, in a better movie. As currently constructed, we’re never really enthralled with what’s going on. Worse yet, we’re often bored by it. The actors do what they can, but are hamstrung by the material. By the end, we’ve no choice but to nit-pick all the issues that pop up. Salmon Fishing is occasionally cute, even funny when Kristin Scott Thomas is running her mouth. However, it falls apart because we turn to scrutiny in lieu of the romantic thrills it can’t give us.

MY SCORE: 5/10

Comment

• j.hen
            Self Care
            • Oct 2008

Barely mentioned the Cumberbatch in your Star Trek review

He stole the show every time he was on screen imo, what did you think of his performance?

Comment

• dell71
              Enter Sandman
              • Mar 2009

I thought he was solid, felt menacing enough. He did steal many of his scenes. There just weren't enough of them because, truthfully, he was secondary to the story.

And he's no Ricardo Montalban.

Comment

• riley420
                You're goddamned right.
                • Feb 2009

I would like to suggest that you see "Mud." My wife and I saw it this past weekend never having heard of it....and we absolutely loved it. Highly recommended.

Comment

• dell71
                  Enter Sandman
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by riley420
                  I would like to suggest that you see "Mud." My wife and I saw it this past weekend never having heard of it....and we absolutely loved it. Highly recommended.
                  I plan on seeing. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Comment

• Senser81
                    VSN Poster of the Year
                    • Feb 2009

Dell, have you reviewed/seen a movie called "Goon"? Its a hockey movie with Stifler.

Comment

• dell71
                      Enter Sandman
                      • Mar 2009

Dragon
                      AKA Wu Xia
                      Directed by Peter Chan.
                      2011. Rated R, 115 minutes.
                      Cast:
                      Donnie Yen
                      Takeshi Kaneshiro
                      Wei Tang
                      Yu Wang
                      Kara Hui
                      Wu Jiang
                      Yu Kang
                      Li Jia-Min
                      Zheng Wei
                      Xiao Ran Li

As per the overwhelming norm, our story takes place in a small quite village in China. Our hero, Liu Jin-Xi (Yen), lives a nice life with his wife Ah Yu (Tang), and their two boys. He’s a prized employee at the local paper factory and couldn’t be happier. One day, a couple of thugs show up to rob his place of employment. After a spectacular struggle, the bad guys end up dead. The police and the mayor show up. Detective Xu Bai-Jiu (Kaneshiro) suspects our hero is hiding something. He’s right. The rest of the next two acts play out as a police procedural, with the detective figuring out what Liu’s past discretions may have been and working on a way to bring him to justice for them. So far, so good.

To be honest, it is really good to this point. There’s very little in the way of martial arts, but the dynamic between the two men is intriguing. The inspector has some problems of his own, is exceedingly cynical and has an existentialist thing going on where he routinely has out-of-body experiences. It works much better than it sounds. Meanwhile, Liu is growing more suspicious of the cop but bravely keeps up a happy veneer despite some of the highly questionable tactics used by the detective. It’s a well-played cat-and-mouse intertwined with a cute family story. And yes, it’s working toward all the fighting. So far, so good.

Unsurprisingly, it turns out some very bad people are after our hero. With all the fuss the inspector has raised, Liu’s location has come to their attention. Of course, the leader of this group, the 72 Demons, dispatches two of their own to bring Liu to him. They show up in town, he refuses to go with them and an amazing battle sequence takes place that involves leaping across rooftops, cows and a waterfall into a raging river. After he defeats these two we’re next told what we already know: The 72 demons won’t stop until they’ve either gotten Liu or killed him. Whew! Now the scene is set for way more kung-fu. So far, so good.

Okay, there’s been some questionable science going on this whole time. Chiefly, it involves being able to kill someone with one blow to the vagus nerve. Since this is pretty standard martial arts stuff, no big deal. However, it sets us up for what eventually derails the movie. I won’t go into detail on what that is. I’ll just say our hero twice, purposely hampers his ability to fight before the battle even starts. It’s so far beyond dumb, I was taken completely out of the movie because everything before this is fairly smart.

You know how sometimes when things are going great, something ridiculous happens that ruins your whole day. Dragon is a microcosm of that experience. I sat down to watch a martial arts flick. I’m not so naïve, or stuffy, to think I’d be witnessing a deeply human experience. After all, I grew up on this stuff. I wanted to see Donnie Yen kick some ass, whether or not lots of wire work is involved. He does and it is, but I was still sorely disappointed. The action that closes the movie isn’t bad, but by then I didn’t care anymore. And the night was going so well.

MY SCORE: 5.5/10

Comment

• dell71
                        Enter Sandman
                        • Mar 2009

Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted
                        Directed by Eric Darnell, Tom McGrath, and Conrad Vernon.
                        2012. Rated PG, 93 minutes.
                        Cast:
                        Ben Stiller
                        Chris Rock
                        Jada Pinkett Smith
                        David Schwimmer
                        Sacha Baron Cohen
                        Bryan Cranston
                        Cedric the Entertainer
                        Jessica Chastain
                        Frances McDormand
                        Martin Short
                        Andy Richter
                        Chris Miller

The crew, once again led by Alex (Stiller), is still trying to get back to New York City. This time, sadistic French Animal Control specialist Captain Chantel DuBois (McDormand) is hot on their tail. She desperately wants Alex’s head on her already cluttered wall. In trying to escape, our heroes find themselves joining a circus traveling across Europe. As luck would have it, there is a big promoter coming to their next show. If all goes well, he’ll pick them up and, yes, send them to New York. There’s just one little hitch, well two hitches: the show sucks and Captain DuBois is relentless.

Though our core group works through the main plot, newer characters are given ample time to shine. Bryan Cranston’s grumpy Russian tiger, Vitaly, is particularly fun. He gives us a nice opposing viewpoint to Stiller’s eternally optimistic Alex. In turn, his story and the resulting character arc are the most genuinely heartfelt in the movie. This emotion is perfectly counterbalanced by him having the most preposterous ability. It all combines to make him the most intriguing of the newbies. The others are fun, and we spend lots of time with the budding romance between Alex and Gia (Chastain), another Russian tiger.

The alumni fits comfortably into their roles. More or less, they’re tasked with keeping the laughs going. At this, they do a nice job. However, they might be trumped by another newbie – Captain DuBois. Honestly, Frances McDormand could not play the role any better. This is a movie that understands it’s only as good as its villain. It’s got a good one. Right from the start, her maniacal pursuit hits all the right notes.

There are issues. Most noticeably, things sag a bit in the middle as all the different subplots play out. I know what I said, that everyone getting time to shine is a good thing, because it is, but from time to time it can be too much. This gives Madagascar 3 a bit of a cluttered feel. It has to work pretty hard to pull all the plot strands together. It manages well enough and ends up being a solid ride.

MY SCORE: 7/10

Comment

• dell71
                          Enter Sandman
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
                          Dell, have you reviewed/seen a movie called "Goon"? Its a hockey movie with Stifler.
                          Yup...

Comment

• Senser81
                            VSN Poster of the Year
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by dell71
                            Thanks. Would you say that Pat = Berowsk in the movie Goon?

Comment

• dell71
                              Enter Sandman
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
                              Thanks. Would you say that Pat = Berowsk in the movie Goon?
                              Lol, hadn't thought about that.

Comment

• dell71
                                Enter Sandman
                                • Mar 2009

Luv
                                Directed by Sheldon Candis.
                                2012. Rated R, 94 minutes.
                                Cast:
                                Common
                                Michael Rainey Jr.
                                Dennis Haysbert
                                Danny Glover
                                Charles S. Dutton
                                Lonette McKee
                                Meagan Good
                                Michael Kenneth Williams
                                Russell Hornsby
                                Hayward Armstrong

When all of your partners in crime know that you received a twenty year prison sentence, yet you’re home in eight, they’re going to be suspicious of you. This is just one of the issues Vincent (Common) has. As far as he’s concerned, it’s a small one. He’s much more focused on going straight. He wants to open up his own crab shack. To so, he’s trying to secure a $150,000 loan, legitimately. With his mother’s blessing he’s going to use her house as collateral. It’s Friday morning and he’s headed to the bank to get the verdict. On his way, he’s supposed to drop off his ten year old nephew Woody (Rainey Jr.) at school. After an unsatisfactory chat with the lad, he decides to take Woody with him and show him how business is handled. At the bank, he finds out mom’s house is $22,000 in arrears and about to go into foreclosure, obviously making a loan out of the question. However, with assurances he’ll be approved if he gets the money by Monday, he sets out to raise the capital the only way he knows how. Vincent, with Woody in tow, confronting the trust issues of his former colleagues ensues.

More than once on these pages I’ve noted I’m a fan of Common’s music, not his acting. That’s not the case, here. For the first time, he delivers a truly compelling performance. He really inhabits the role bringing his character fully to life in a three dimensional manner. Vincent is not only the center of attention, Common helps him command that attention. Most impressively, he still shines when sharing the screen with such thespians as Danny Glover, Charles S. Dutton, and a super slick Dennis Haysbert, who sells something that definitely isn’t car insurance. This is a leap forward in the evolution of Common as an actor. Of course, it helps that he has such a layered character to play. This is a guy who has obviously made some bad life decisions. He’s in the midst of another terrible choice, but his grand scheme includes a justifiable end. We root for him.

However, we don’t root for Vincent entirely because we want him to succeed. We just want his nephew to be okay. We hope Woody can somehow gleam the best from the often questionable lessons his uncle is giving. We fear it’s all too much for him. We pray that whatever’s next isn’t. As good as Common is in his role, Michael Rainey Jr. stays with him step-for-step. Though asked to do some grown-up things we never get the sense we’re watching a small adult like in many other movies. He seems like a real kid, albeit one who grows up rapidly. His scenes with Common are endlessly fascinating as the two play quite well off one another.

Through all the harrowing situations and man-to-not-yet-man talks, a number of issues are dealt with. Still Luv, cheesy title aside, never gets preachy, weaving things into the ever-progressing plot. Just by being and feeling earnest, it provides us a welcome alternative to the type of urban movies of which we’ve become accustomed. There’s humor here, but this is no zany comedy. There’s also violence and we are dealing with a guy who received his education on the streets, but we’re not watching Menace II Society, either. It’s a well-told story that deserves to be seen.

MY SCORE: 8.5/10

Comment

Working...