• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dell71
    Enter Sandman
    • Mar 2009

Dell's Pointless Lists: Illmatic vs. Religion

When I was twelve, I went to hell for snuffing Jesus

Those are the words that got the most attention from Nas' verse on the Main Source song Live at the Barbeque. It reeks of a youngster trying to break into the rap game by saying the most outlandish thing he can think of for shock value. I won't tell you it wasn't that, but...

there's more to it.

A couple years later, Nas would release his now classic debut album, Illmatic. You might have heard, the 20th anniversary of this event was a few days ago. Of course, there's already been much ink spilled and many keys hit praising, chronicling, and breaking down the album so I'll forgive you if you're all Illmatic'd out and wish not to continue. However,...

I'm going to approach it from a different angle than I've seen elsewhere.

One of the themes of the album that hasn't really been explored is the artist working through his own spirituality even though he seems to have a disdain for religion. In other words, the quote at the top was only the tip of the iceberg. Here, we're going to explore the LP's religious references. And since this is a list I will rank them.

vs.

to be continued…
  • dell71
    Enter Sandman
    • Mar 2009

I drink Moet with Medusa, give her shotguns - inhale
    from the spliff that I lifted in hell.

It Ain’t Hard to Tell 10:3

As far as religious references go, this one is rather innocuous. What it does though, is continue to showcase the influence Christianity has had on his life whether he accepts or rejects it. That influence manifests itself most often as an explicit fascination with heaven and, in particular, hell. Lyrically, it cleverly combines Greek mythology with a more traditional religious setting to create an interesting visual. And of course, it goes shallow by name dropping the ghetto-fabulous drink of the day and speaking about his other drug of choice.

to be continued…

Comment

• dell71
      Enter Sandman
      • Mar 2009

When it’s my time to go
      I’ll wait for God with the ‘fo-’fo! (.44)

Halftime 5:3

The song this quote is from actually pre-dates the album by a couple years. That makes Nas about 18 when he penned it. If 18 year old males are anything, they’re brash, arrogant, and defiant. This little piece of shameless blasphemy is all of those things rolled into one. Kids think they’re invincible. Obviously, Nas was no exception. And when you’re invincible, you’ll take on anyone, even if that means having it out with God Himself.

to be continued…

Comment

• dell71
        Enter Sandman
        • Mar 2009

Cold be walkin’ with a bop and my hat turned back
        Love committing sins and my friends sell crack

Did I mention that Nas had a defiant streak in him? Once again, it’s on display. The interesting choice is the use of the phrase ‘Love committing sins.’ It suggests that he certainly has some concept of right and wrong, yet is going to do certain things anyway. It’s also interesting that ‘his friends sell crack,’ but not him. Even to his own hedonism, there are apparently limits. In fact, throughout the album, made during the era when it became popular for the artists to claim they were a drug kingpin before getting a record deal, Nas only once claims to have sold drugs at all and it was hardly in a glamorizing fashion. He references several others selling. When speaking of himself selling, it’s nearly always either a fantasy or a possibility of what his future may hold.
        Represent 9:2

to be continued…
        Last edited by dell71; 04-24-2014, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• dell71
          Enter Sandman
          • Mar 2009

Illmatic Bonus List!

Nas & His Notebook

Another interesting and reoccurring theme on the album is Nas actually speaking about the act of writing. Being a guy who also loves writing, it’s something I picked up on immediately.

...how y’all? It’s Nasty, the villain
          I’m still writing rhymes, but besides that I’m chillin’

(One Time 4 Your Mind)
          On an album filled with woozy, bluesy tracks and a relaxed feel to it, One Time 4 Your Mind is still Illmatic’s most laid back song. Nothing too deep is going on. Nas is just talking about what he does on a regular day when he’s hanging around the block. He talks about watching movies, listening to mixtapes, making sure he has condoms “just in case,” y’know, normal stuff young dudes do. With Nas, part of his normal day activities is taking some time out to pen a verse or two. It’s a simple little couplet, but conveys lots of love for his craft.

It’s only right that I was born to use mics
          And the stuff that I write is even tougher than dykes

(N.Y. State of Mind)
          Lol. The kid definitely wasn’t lacking in confidence. He knows that rap is his true calling. He also wants you to understand this. Is this an insensitive and ignorant remark stereotyping a whole group of people? Yes. Does it still make me crack a smile when I hear it? Yes.

to be continued…

Comment

• dell71
            Enter Sandman
            • Mar 2009

My brain is incarcerated
            live at any jam, I couldn't count all the parks I raided
            I hold a Mac-11, and attack a reverend
            I contact 11 L's and max in Heaven

One Time 4 Your Mind 8:2

Judging by the final couplet, this one is very similar to #8 on this list. It's a youngster trying to show just how much of bad-ass he is. Adding in the two lines that precede it, adds a bit more. Feeling incarcerated is a feeling many young black men have even when they're not actually in prison. Going further into that is a subject for another day. Just know that Nas reflects that here. One way of "breaking out" would be to hold a mac-11, attack a reverend, yet still be able to smoke some weed while relaxing in heaven. Ignorant? Maybe. Probably. But it expresses feelings many have.

to be continued...

Comment

• dell71
              Enter Sandman
              • Mar 2009

...killer coppers even come through in helicopters
              I drink a little vodka, spark a L & hold a glock for
              The fronters, wannabe ill-n****s & spot-runners
              Thinking it can't happen 'till I trap 'em and clap 'em
              & leave 'em done
              Won't even run about Gods
              I don't believe in none of that shit
              Your facts are backwards

Represent 9:1

To me, Represent is easily the song on Illmatic most classifiable as gangsta-rap. Even from this little bit showcases that. A number of songs has the artists commenting on, even fantasizing about violent behavior. This includes N.Y. State of Mind which I know leaps to the mind of some people reading this. Here, we get the one song that specifically paints Queensbridge as a place you really need to stay away from if you're not from there. Even here, however, Nas can't help himself. He has to say something with religious connotations. What makes this different from the rest on the album is that it's the only time when he takes a swipe at the people who are undeniably on his level for their beliefs. Before going on, I should say that this is the one quote I could be most wrong about, but I'm rolling with my interpretation anyway. The Gods, he's referencing aren't some mythological beings. He's talking about members of the Five Percent Nation of Islam. This is a subset of Elijah Muhammad's Nation of Islam. Technically, Muhammad had nothing to do with its formation, but many of the doctrines are the same. Without going through the whole religion, it's male members refer to themselves as Gods. They can often be heard trying to recruit others into their beliefs. Not all, but a number of them still live "that street life" leaving some to refer to it as more of a gang than a religion. Regardless, Nas seems tired of hearing what they have to say and lets them know what you claim as fact, is not.

to be continued...
              Last edited by dell71; 04-24-2014, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• dell71
                Enter Sandman
                • Mar 2009

I'm trying to get this money, God, you know the hard times, kid
                Shit, cold be starving make you wanna do crimes kid
                But I'mma lamp, cause a crime couldn't beat a rhyme
                N****s catching 3 to 9's, Muslims yelling "Free the mind"

One Time 4 Your Mind 8:2

While Nas takes Five Percenters to task in Represent, he acknowledges the positive influence Muslims have on his community in One Time 4 Your Mind. He acknowledges how tough it is live a straight life when circumstances might dictate you do otherwise. He also realizes his talent on the mic provides him with a way out. There is also seeing many of his friends going to prison proving to be another deterrent. Finally, those trying to do the right thing get a small assist from street-corner Muslims. He may not agree with their beliefs, but recognizes that they aren't all bad.

to be continued...

Comment

• dell71
                  Enter Sandman
                  • Mar 2009

Nas & His Notebook
                  (continued)

So I be ghost from my projects, I take my pen and pad
                  For the weekend hittin L's while I'm sleeping
                  A two day stay, you may say I needed time alone
                  To relax my dome, no phone, left the nine at home

(One Love)
                  Sometimes, being at home is just too chaotic to get any damn writing done. When that's the case, and you don't anything (or anyone) tying you down to that spot, you just gotta get away. Where? Who the hell knows? Who cares? As long as it's away from here and peaceful.

Heini Dark drinker, represent the thinker
                  My pen rides the paper, it even has blinkers
                  Think I'll dim the lights then inhale, it stimulates
                  Floating like I'm on the North 95 Interstate
                  Never plan to stop, when I write my hand is hot

(One Time 4 Your Mind)
                  Lots of writers, have to set the mood for them to create. Often, this includes the controlled substance(s) of their choice. For Nas, we already know that means weed and alcohol (Heineken Dark, in this case). But he brilliantly takes it a step further. He equates his pen traveling across the page to a car on I-95 and doubles up on the metaphor because his brain is also rolling down that highway once he takes a puff.

to be continued...

Comment

• Aso
                    The Serious House
                    • Nov 2008

I really need to listen to Illmatic and then read this thread.

Comment

• Matt
                      No longer a noob
                      • Jun 2012

Every time I leave VSN...DELL pulls me right back.

Quality #longread. Will save for after dinner.
                      Last edited by Matt; 04-24-2014, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• dell71
                        Enter Sandman
                        • Mar 2009

Sometimes I sit back with a Buddha sack
                        Mind's in another world thinking how can we exist due to "facts"
                        Written in school text books, bibles, et cetera
                        Fuck a school lecture, the lies get me vexed (uh)

One Love 7:3

Many have wondered just how much truth there is in the things we've been taught all our lives. This includes Nas. Let's face it, what's in school text books changes over time as new information is discovered and/or old information is disproved. The authenticity of The Holy Bible has been called into question time and again. The same goes for other sacred texts. Nas is simply trying to make sense of it all. Too many things in life don't make sense if what he's learned is true. Through his contemplation, medicinally aided of course, he just decides on rejecting it all.

Comment

• dell71
                          Enter Sandman
                          • Mar 2009

I woke up early on my born day; I'm 20, it's a blessing
                          The essence of adolescence leaves my body, now I'm fresh and
                          My physical frame is celebrated cause I made it
                          One quarter through life some Godly-like thing created

Life's a Bitch 3:2

Here, Nas celebrates a birthday. The festive occasion seems to bring him out of his usual defiant mood and has him adopting a more grateful tone. He should. Too many people he knew personally, and young men of color across the nation don't reach the ripe old age of 20. Even so, he realizes there is far more life to live and he's only made it "one quarter through." Even though the album itself is now 20, the sentiment hasn't lost any poignancy.

Comment

• dell71
                            Enter Sandman
                            • Mar 2009

There's no days for broke days when $ellin' $moke pay$
                            While all the old folks pray to Jesús, soakin' their sins in trays (treys)
                            Of holy water, odds against Nas are slaughter
                            Thinking a word best describing my life to name my daughter
                            My strength, my son, the star, will be my resurrection
                            Born in correction, all the wrong shit I did, he'll lead in right direction

The World is Yours 4:2

There is just a ridiculous amount of stuff going on here. For starters, Nas reiterates a popular 'hood sentiment: instead of going broke, you do what you have to do. The elders in his life, and the neighborhood, may have been there before. Even if they haven't been exactly in the place he speaks of, he knows they're not perfect. This is why they pray. Prayer is simply "soakin' their sins in trays of holy water." Now, let's even dig a bit deeper on that line. Trays has a double purpose. You can substitute the homophone treys, as in three, as in trinity. Looking forward (he had no children at the time), he's searching for a way out and thinks it will be something he can do once he settles down and has a family. Then it will be time to set a good example for them. Whatever he will name his future daughter it will be something that symbolizes what she does to him: the strength to set that example. However, it's his future son that will hold the real power. The boy will be his father's resurrection. Going forward, as an incarnation of his dad, he will right all the wrongs and lead Nas himself in the right direction. Hmmm...seems to sound an awful lot like that guy the old folks pray to.

Comment

• dell71
                              Enter Sandman
                              • Mar 2009

Nas & His Notebook
                              (continued)

Rappers, I monkey flip 'em with the funky rhythm I be kickin'
                              Musician, inflictin' compositions of pain
                              I'm like Scarface sniffin' cocaine
                              Holding an M-16,
                              see with the pen I'm extreme

(N.Y. State of Mind)
                              Here, we have the lines that open the album. Immediately, our host on this tour through Queensbridge lets us know that when it comes to writing, there are none better. He does so by invoking the tired cliche of a rapper comparing himself to Al Pacino's Tony Montana and flipping it on its ear. If you've seen Scarface, you remember the climactic scene, y'know, "Say hello to my li'l frien'!" Nas tells us that he's in that kind of mode when he writes, feeling invincible. He feels he can't be stopped. But he also instinctively knows this is an over the top description inspired by an over the top movie. So, if he is truly as good as he is telling us he is, then he is certainly extreme with the pen.

I sip the Dom P, watching Gandhi til I'm charged
                              Then writing in my book of rhymes, all the words past the margin
                              To hold the mic I'm throbbin', mechanical movement
                              Understandable smooth shit that murderers move with
                              The thief's theme - play me at night, they won't act right
                              The fiend of hip-hop has got me stuck like a crack pipe
                              The mind activation, react like I'm facing
                              Time like Pappy Mason, with pens I'm embracing
                              Wipe the sweat off my dome, spit the phlegm on the streets
                              Suede Timbs on my feet makes my cipher complete
                              Whether cruising in a Six cab or Montero Jeep
                              I can't call it; the beats make me falling asleep
                              I keep falling, but never falling six feet deep
                              I'm out for presidents to represent me (say what?)
                              I'm out for presidents to represent me (say what?)
                              I'm out for dead presidents to represent me

(The World is Yours)
                              We give the top spot on the "Nas & His Notebook" list to the entire first verse of another Scarface influenced song, The World is Yours. He starts the verse by getting inspired to write, by watching Gandhi, in this case. When he does, he's going kinda crazy with it, not really caring what it looks like. Indeed, words are running past the margins. He then echoes Rakim's famous verse from Eric B. for President when he describes the hold hip hop has on him ("to hold the mic I'm throbbin'), even going so far as to call himself a "fiend" for the mic because he's addicted to it. Of course, he's not going to grab it without writing something serious, first. To get that done, he's embracing with pen. At the end of the day, he also understands this skill is his meal-ticket. He's using it in his quest for prosperity. Of course, he should. If you can make your passion pay you big bucks, wouldn't you?

Comment

Working...