• Show
Clear All
  • Chrispy
    Needs a hobby
    • Dec 2008

Sammy Sosa tested positive for PED in 2003

Sammy Sosa tested positive for PED in 2003, NY times reports

What a shock? Baseball has been ruined because of all this steroid crap

Sammy Sosa is one of the major league baseball players who tested positive for a banned substance in 2003, the New York Times is reporting, citing lawyers who have knowledge of the drug-testing results from that year.

That year was the first in which Major League Baseball conducted survey tests to see if mandatory, random drug-testing was needed. There were no penalties for a positive result in 2003.

Results from the 2003 surveys were supposed to remain anonymous.

ESPNDeportes.com reported in early June that Sosa, 40, was planning on announcing his formal retirement from baseball soon, and would not address allegations of steroid use.

"I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Don't I have the numbers to be inducted?" said Sosa, who presently serves the Dominican government as special ambassador for investment opportunities.

Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was one of those on the 2003 list as having tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs. The test result was first reported by Sports Illustrated in February, and Rodriguez admitted to having taken steroids while with the Texas Rangers from 2001 to 2003.

A lawyer for Sosa, Jay Reisinger, declined comment to the Times. An MLB official likewise declined comment to the newspaper.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    Sammy Sosa is one of the major league baseball players who tested positive for a banned substance in 2003, according to a New York Times report.
    Last edited by Chrispy; 06-16-2009, 03:48 PM.
  • jaggles82
    Smoking the J
    • Apr 2009

doesn't surprise me that corky did this

Comment

• tigstah
      Mr. Casual Gamer
      • Mar 2009

i mean is this really breaking news.....

Comment

• Mit
        very nice..how much?
        • Dec 2008

Not surprising, but this could further affect whether or not he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame. Atleast, that's what I think.

Comment

• LC AAU
          • Oct 2008

:jimshake:
          sig is too big, resize it

Comment

• celtsxpatsxsox
            Redsox
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by VikesFan101
            Not surprising, but this could further affect whether or not he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame. Atleast, that's what I think.
            if Mcgwire didnt get in then Sosa wouldnt of gotten in if this didnt happen either, but for some reason I think they all eventually get in the hall in the last year of eligibility for some reason.

Comment

• RainboUnicorn
              No Homo
              • Nov 2008

I'm getting tired of this.

If one name is going to be leaked than they all should be. I'm tired of someone leaking these names strategically to their own agenda. Its a little fishy A-Rod was leaked right before the season, then Sammy was leaked right after he retires. Give us all the names.

Comment

• celtsxpatsxsox
                Redsox
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by RainboUnicorn
                I'm getting tired of this.

If one name is going to be leaked than they all should be. I'm tired of someone leaking these names strategically to their own agenda. Its a little fishy A-Rod was leaked right before the season, then Sammy was leaked right after he retires. Give us all the names.
                Only problem with that, is that these tests were suppose to be anonymous and these names shouldnt of even gotten out to anyone but the people who conducted the test. Not even the MLB was suppose to know these names, So someone is leaking these names to reporters when they shouldnt be. At least thats what I think is going on. Kinda like those surveys that high schoolers take that asks them if they did drugs and stuff like that.

Comment

• killgod
                  OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Cudi
                  saw a full length episode about this on ESPN...I think everybody knew.
                  of course they did.

but it put fans in the stands and money in the owners pockets.

so who fuckin cares?

Comment

• JeremyHight
                    I wish I was Scrubs
                    • Feb 2009

It is the Steroid/Speed Era. Like it or not, baseball should just embrace that everyone was using something and treat the stats accordingly. As a hall of fame voter, just shave off 15% and if they still have the stats, put them in the hall.

Comment

• FedEx227
                      Delivers
                      • Mar 2009

I think you should just judge everyone and just make mention that it was a steroid era. Plain and simple. Even with his numbers in comparison I'm not sure I put Sammy or McGwire in anyway. Especially the way Sosa was a media/attention whore who routinely put himself above the team.

You can't nitpick certain guys because their names leaked and what not. It's stupid. Just consider it the steroid era and vote as you would in the other eras of baseball, the pre-integration, etc.
                      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• JTRaines92
                        Boss
                        • Mar 2009

I could care less if someone does steroids, just as long as the do not go to the HoF or have any records.

Comment

• zack54attack
                          Posts a lot
                          • Dec 2008

Not a suprise to me.

He took steriods, cool. So did a lot of players in that era. But you know what? That 1998 home run chase made baseball popular today. If you can remember, baseball was slumping back then. Fresh off the strike, and then for a great home run race to happen? Thats what they needed.

Sucks they cheated though.

Comment

• ralaw
                            Posts too much
                            • Feb 2009

I really wish they'd just release the names from the anonymous 2003 survey just to get this entire thing over with. Not that I care who is on it, but its just getting out of hand, especially for a test that was supposed to remain anonymous. It seems people are deliberatly releasing these names at times to a. keep the story going and b. to make someone look foolish. It should be noted that Sosa just last week said, "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Don't I have the numbers to be inducted?" People are just stringing this along for their own selfish reasons.

Comment

• Senser81
                              VSN Poster of the Year
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by JeremyHight
                              It is the Steroid/Speed Era. Like it or not, baseball should just embrace that everyone was using something and treat the stats accordingly. As a hall of fame voter, just shave off 15% and if they still have the stats, put them in the hall.
                              In Sosa's case they should shave off 85% of his stats. IMO, he would have been out of baseball within his first few seasons if not for steroids.

Comment

Working...