X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mobbdeep1122
    I just win
    • May 2009

RUMOR: Chipper torn ACL?

Just read a rumor on a different forum that 790 The Zone in Atlanta is reporting that Chipper has a torn ACL. Still waiting for real confirmation, though.

If true, wow what a blow to the Braves.
  • Chrispy
    Needs a hobby
    • Dec 2008

its true, MRI shows Jones has torn ACL, agent said

Comment

• NAHSTE
      Probably owns the site
      • Feb 2009

So bummed about this news. He's saying that he's gonna try to rehab and isn't set on retiring yet.

If this is the end for him, it'll be weirdly symmetrical. His rookie season was over before it began with a left ACL tear in spring training of 1994. Now what could be his final season just ended with the exact same injury.

Braves have enough depth in the infield to get back most his production with Infante/Conrad/Prado being able to rotate between second and third, but there's gonna be a huge gaping hole of experience and gamesmanship in that 3-hole this postseason, assuming we make it that is. Far from a given at this point.

Comment

• Blade
        Walking SAM site
        • Feb 2009

Chipper Jones has always been a thread in that lineup and no one on the Braves scares opposing lineups the way he does. Heyward might this year. But I wouldn't count on Prado and company to replace his spot in the lineup.

Their offense was lowscoring to begin with, this just makes it worse.

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Blade
          Chipper Jones has always been a thread in that lineup and no one on the Braves scares opposing lineups the way he does. Heyward might this year. But I wouldn't count on Prado and company to replace his spot in the lineup.

Their offense was lowscoring to begin with, this just makes it worse.
          The best offensive catcher in the national league says hi. As for the offense being low-scoring, did you even bother to look up the run totals? The Braves are middle of the road in total runs. I'm not gonna say we're a great offensive club, but to say that we're low scoring when we're 7th in the NL, trailing the 4th place Phillies by just 15 runs is pretty incorrect.

Not gonna say it's not a huge blow, because it quite obviously is. But the Braves were not a low-scoring club before the injury.

And hitting doesn't win championships, pitching does. With the MLB's 4th best staff ERA, and the 4th lowest runs allowed total, I'd say we can get by with a middle of the road offense.

Comment

• JTRaines92
            Boss
            • Mar 2009

Well it looks like we found a spot for Omar when Prado comes back... It sucks for Larry though. Chipper can't touch Omar this season so it's kinda a blessing in disguise.

Comment

• NAHSTE
              Probably owns the site
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by JTRaines92
              Well it looks like we found a spot for Omar when Prado comes back... It sucks for Larry though. Chipper can't touch Omar this season so it's kinda a blessing in disguise.
              You can't be serious.

From Capitol Avenue Club:
              The Chipper Jones injury last night was a pretty big blow, how big will be determined when the MRI results come back. If you blinked you might have missed the fact that Chipper was starting to hit the rubber out of the ball. In his last 18 games he’s hit .333/.411/.556.
              Not to mention the small matter of Chipper being a first team HOFer and our #3 hole hitter.

You can't possibly think our utility infielder (as great as he is at being a utility infielder) is an upgrade over Chipper Jones.

Comment

• Woy
                RIP West
                • Dec 2008

Please just stay ahead of Philly and make sure they don't make it as the WC.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• NAHSTE
                  Probably owns the site
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Woy
                  Please just stay ahead of Philly and make sure they don't make it as the WC.
                  Well if we lose the division by 1 game, you can think the Dodgers bullpen. What a meltdown.

Lead is down to 2. Luckily, it's our turn to play the Dodgers next.

Comment

• Golden Taters
                    RIP West
                    • Jul 2009

First Griffey and now Chipper. My childhood heroes are leaving me

Comment

Working...