X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

The Glory Of Their Times

Has anyone else read this? Fantastic book, right up there with the Bill James "Historical Baseball Abstract" as far as the best baseball book i've ever read.

Lawrence Ritter spent the 1960's roaming America (with a tape recorder) searching for mostly 80+ year old turn of the century baseball players. The book is told in the words of the players (each given their own chapter), with very little editorial content from Ritter.

As you read through the book, you eventually see how brilliantly Ritter arranged the chapters. For example, you get multiple perspectives of famous baseball events like "The Merkle Incident", and Fred Snodgrass and his famous World Series dropped ball. Or one player will tell a story, and iin the next chapter, the next player will tell the same story with more detail or better recall.

It also gives amazing insight on how these men lived, and I was facinated by the stories of how these guys ultimately ended up playing in the majors. It's also funny to read the old timers talking about "modern" players like Willie Mays and Sandy Koufax, and how "big money" and home runs have changed baseball.

I think it's impossible to read this and not enjoy it. Go get it.
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

You also have to love the non PC attitude of the day...every southern player was called "Rube", every deaf player was called "Dummy", and seemingly every team had an indian catcher named "Chief". Mordecai Brown had three fingers on his hand, so of course he became...Three Finger Brown. This simplicity and disregard for sensativity is refreshing.

These days, we get the all too lame "first letter of the first name + first few letters of the last name" bit. A-Rod. I-Rod. F-Rod. Aw-Ful. It's an epidemic in sports. Sometimes I have to stop and try to figure out who the hell people are talking about when they refer to guys are J-Stew or C-Rog or J-Will. It's like a "guess the mediocre player" riddle.

Comment

• MvP
      a member of vsn
      • Oct 2008

Definitely sounds like a good read. I still have a few other books I need to finish but I'll keep this one in mind next time I go on vacation (only time I get any reading done).

Comment

• Rudi
        #CyCueto
        • Nov 2008

Might have to check this out, sounds like a great read

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
          You also have to love the non PC attitude of the day...every southern player was called "Rube", every deaf player was called "Dummy", and seemingly every team had an indian catcher named "Chief". Mordecai Brown had three fingers on his hand, so of course he became...Three Finger Brown. This simplicity and disregard for sensativity is refreshing.

These days, we get the all too lame "first letter of the first name + first few letters of the last name" bit. A-Rod. I-Rod. F-Rod. Aw-Ful. It's an epidemic in sports. Sometimes I have to stop and try to figure out who the hell people are talking about when they refer to guys are J-Stew or C-Rog or J-Will. It's like a "guess the mediocre player" riddle.
          Good post Dub-Bru. I will check it out.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

So did any of you fruits end up reading this?

I'm in winter depression, waiting for pitchers & catchers, and i'm reading this for the second time.

Comment

• NAHSTE
              Probably owns the site
              • Feb 2009

Still haven't gotten around to reading this, but to your last point -- yesterday in the FG chat someone asked a question about Adrian Gonzalez and called him fucking "AdGonz" ... He was at least taken to task for it by whoever it was that was running the chat, but jesus H christ this shortform nickname shit is getting out of hand.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Didn't see it the first time. Just ordered it on Amazon

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                  Didn't see it the first time. Just ordered it on Amazon
                  Ritter owes me royalties, I guess.

But he's dead, so yeah.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

I love books based around these era's I have two huge books on the Cubs and Red Sox and my favorite Eras to read about are 1880's to 1950 or so.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                      Giants in the Super Bowl
                      • Mar 2009

Anyone interested in the audio version, link below.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                        Anyone interested in the audio version, I'm uploading the file. Will post shortly.
                        Fred Snodgrass from the grave?

Comment

• Youk
                          Posts too much
                          • Feb 2009

Thanks for the heads up, I love books like this. I really can only read non-fiction, and sports non-fiction?

:megawhoner:

Comment

• MvP
                            a member of vsn
                            • Oct 2008

So did any of you fruits end up reading this?

I'm in winter depression, waiting for pitchers & catchers, and i'm reading this for the second time.
                            I thought it was great when I read the majority of it on vacation last summer. Any true baseball fan should find it enjoyable.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                              Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Showed up at my house last night.

Comment

Working...