2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Reds sign Votto

3-years, $38m

Avoided arbitration.
  • Primetime
    Thank You Prince
    • Nov 2008

Cheaper than I would have thought he'd go for. Important to lock him up for a few years to really mature.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Primetime232
      Cheaper than I would have thought he'd go for. Important to lock him up for a few years to really mature.
      Arbitration was expected too fall between $7-$10m, so they threw him a bone. Hopefully he remembers that down the line.

BTW, he's already smack dab into his prime. This will be his 4th year, and he came up a little late. He's 27.

Comment

• Primetime
        Thank You Prince
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
        Arbitration was expected too fall between $7-$10m, so they threw him a bone. Hopefully he remembers that down the line.

BTW, he's already smack dab into his prime. This will be his 4th year, and he came up a little late. He's 27.
        I didn't mean to come off as if he wasn't in his prime. Just meant it will give him time to prove his consistency before really cashing in to 20+ mil for a few seasons.

Comment

• mcstl25
          M-Castle
          • Feb 2009

Not sure I really understand this deal. Usually contacts to players who are still arbitration eligible include a team option for the player's first or second free agent eligible year. This contract only extends through his three arbitration years, where Votto would have made $7-$10 million per year. Doesn't seem to be much upside for the Reds in this deal as they still had control over Votto for three years.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by mcstl25
            Not sure I really understand this deal. Usually contacts to players who are still arbitration eligible include a team option for the player's first or second free agent eligible year. This contract only extends through his three arbitration years, where Votto would have made $7-$10 million per year. Doesn't seem to be much upside for the Reds in this deal as they still had control over Votto for three years.
            Votto did not want to sign into a fourth year or beyond. So I think they mindset here was to not drag him to arbitration for three years at the risk of insulting him, and they even threw him a bone and gave him a few extra million - probably in hopes that he will return the favor 3 years from now if they try to extend him.

Votto comes off pretty much like a giant asshole publically, which people blame on him being shy, but I get the feeling he's just a prick. Id be willing to bet he is deadset on testing free agency in 3 years.

Comment

• Lanteri
              No longer a noob
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
              Votto did not want to sign into a fourth year or beyond. So I think they mindset here was to not drag him to arbitration for three years at the risk of insulting him, and they even threw him a bone and gave him a few extra million - probably in hopes that he will return the favor 3 years from now if they try to extend him.

Votto comes off pretty much like a giant asshole publically, which people blame on him being shy, but I get the feeling he's just a prick. Id be willing to bet he is deadset on testing free agency in 3 years.
              I see it more as, he's giving the Reds 3 years to show what their young core can do. If they don't prove to be contenders then he can jump ship via free agency instead of sticking around wasting his talent, know what I mean?

Comment

Working...