X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
    Jackson career is actually around .338 OBP. Not good but certainly not terrible.
    He's at .315 this year, and lead the league in K's last year. I think he's leading the league again this year.

But again, fcor the Tigers I think it may be lack of options. And for 100 years, when managers are in doubt, the CF hits leadoff.

Here is the secret manager cheat sheet for drawing up a lineup:

CF
    2B
    1B
    RF
    3B
    LF
    C
    SS
    P

How many times have we seen Lyle Overbay hit third, or Corey Patterson leadoff? Its amazing how managers fall into this trap so often.

Comment

• Sven Draconian
      Not a Scandanavian
      • Feb 2009

The Tigers need a bat, badly. Mags might be alright by season end as some sort of quasi-platoon guy with Andry Dirks keeping him fresh.

2B is a wreck.
      3B is a wreck.
      OF is weak.

Don Kelly? Ramon Santiago? Ryan Raburn? Casper Wells? Lulz.

Counting on Mags and Guillen to contribute probably won't work out. Inge is a blackhole.

The lineup is Cabrera, Peralta, Martinez, Avila. Still not sold on Boesch. Austin Jackson is serviceable (but, probably a 9 hitter).

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Sven Draconian
        The Tigers need a bat, badly. Mags might be alright by season end as some sort of quasi-platoon guy with Andry Dirks keeping him fresh.

2B is a wreck.
        3B is a wreck.
        OF is weak.

Counting on Mags and Guillen to contribute probably won't work out. Inge is a blackhole.

The lineup is Cabrera, Peralta, Martinez, Avila. Still not sold on Boesch. Austin Jackson is serviceable (but, probably a 9 hitter).
        So they need a #3/#4 hitter, a lead off batter and someone else to fit in there. Probably not going to happen.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by MVPete
          I think you are seeing the Rockies and Nats getting fed up with guys hitting lead off that aren't getting on base which is why you have CarGo and Werth hitting leadoff for those teams. It may not last all year but I'm sure if I looked it up it was a matter of no production from those spots. That's the only reason I could see taking away those RBI situations those guys would see at the 3-4 slots where they are usually seen at.
          Cargo hit leadoff last year until they moved him down the order. Werth didn't, but i can see why they are trying this. What the Nats did to try and provide Werth with some RBI chances was to move the pitcher to the eighth spot in the lineup, and put Bernadina, who was hitting leadoff, ninth.

Comment

• Sven Draconian
            Not a Scandanavian
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
            So they need a #3/#4 hitter, a lead off batter and someone else to fit in there. Probably not going to happen.
            huh?

They need a top of the order OBP guy, and someone within the realm of average.

1- Unnamed, high OBP infielder (With Peralta able to play 3B if we pick up a SS)
            2-Avila/Peralta
            3-Cabrera
            4-Martinez
            5- Avila/Peralta
            6- Boesch (move him based on whatever streak he is on)
            7- Mags/Dirk
            8- Guillen/Santiago
            9- Jackson

That's a better than average lineup and an outstanding pitching staff. Definately good enough to win the central. They just need to find top of the order IF (or, OF with Mags gettin put to pasture).

Comment

• Buzzman
              • Oct 2008

I hope to god Guillen doesn't play for us. Guy fucking blows. I'd rather give the out away, it mean less double plays.

Comment

• Buzzman
                • Oct 2008

They showed a stat in tonight's game, Austin Jackson has a .375 OBP since the end of April.

Comment

• bcransom
                  Kurtzpalm
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Sven Draconian

2B is a wreck.
                  3B is a wreck.
                  OF is weak.

I definitely expect the Tigers to make a move at some point to acquire an infielder. There's lots of cheap options out there and the FO's got to be extremely encouraged at what they've been able to do so far with a couple pretty big holes.

Comment

• Coked Up Elmo
                    omle pu dekoc
                    • Jul 2009

nothing like a series against the pirates to get you back on track
                    sigpic
                    "did you say cockintheass?"

Comment

• Slateman
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by MVPete
                      I think you are seeing the Rockies and Nats getting fed up with guys hitting lead off that aren't getting on base which is why you have CarGo and Werth hitting leadoff for those teams. It may not last all year but I'm sure if I looked it up it was a matter of no production from those spots. That's the only reason I could see taking away those RBI situations those guys would see at the 3-4 slots where they are usually seen at.
                      Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                      Cargo hit leadoff last year until they moved him down the order. Werth didn't, but i can see why they are trying this. What the Nats did to try and provide Werth with some RBI chances was to move the pitcher to the eighth spot in the lineup, and put Bernadina, who was hitting leadoff, ninth.
                      As the resident Nationals fan, I have to agree with this.

Basically, Werth is hitting leadoff because
                      1. They paid him a ton of money
                      2. He has good On Base Percentage
                      3. They don't have anyone else who can do it

Honestly, I think he's much more suited as a number 2 hitter. He likes going opposite way, he can hit with two strikes and he's got some speed.

I'd really like the Nationals to trade for Jose Reyes but it won't happen ...
                      The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
                      As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
                      If only I had died instead of you
                      O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• DDRGuido
                        gx
                        • Feb 2009

uggggh, really bad stretch the tribe are having. Wasn't fun watching them go 1-9 playing BOS/TEX/NYY in a row. Hopefully they turn it around the next two months and try to hang on to their lead. Minny is rising up in the ranks.

Comment

Working...