X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FirstTimer
    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Theo Epstein to blow up and rebuild Cubs

The Cubs are attempting to deal "most of their valuable assets" before Spring Training begins and "a complete overhaul of …

The Cubs are attempting to deal "most of their valuable assets" before Spring Training begins and "a complete overhaul of the team will definitely happen," two Major League sources tell David Kaplan of CSN Chicago. The impending Sean Marshall-for-Travis Wood trade is the first step in this process, as the Cubs are acquiring a young, controllable, 24-year-old southpaw starter for a 29-year-old reliever who was set to earn $3.1MM in 2012.

We heard last month that the Cubs were shopping their entire roster, though as MLBTR's Tim Dierkes pointed out, "a team drawing three million fans a year doesn't often embark on a full-on offseason rebuilding effort." The Marshall-Wood trade, for instance, still gives Chicago a player who can contribute in 2012. Also, the Cubs were rumored to be in on the Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder sweepstakes this winter, as signing either player would represent the Cubs' first step towards respectability under the Theo Epstein/Jed Hoyer regime. Kaplan, however, hears that the Cubs aren't in on Fielder, nor are they planning to make him "a major offer."

"The Cubs have never had the guts to completely blow up their roster and build it the right way," an unnamed NL executive tells Kaplan. "They have to have a plan for sustained success instead of always trying to patchwork a roster for a surprising season."

Even if the team does rebuild, I'd argue the process may not take as long as the Wrigleyville fans may fear. Carlos Zambrano, Ryan Dempster and Marlon Byrd all come off the books after this season, leaving Alfonso Soriano as the only major remaining albatross contract on the payroll. Chicago's future payroll commitments could get even lower should Matt Garza and/or Carlos Marmol be traded, so Epstein and Hoyer could have tens of millions of dollars to work with by as soon as next winter. This is admittedly a long list of ifs, but if this extra spending money can be augmented by a couple of strong drafts and the emergence of young stars like Andrew Cashner and Brett Jackson, the Cubs could be back in the NL Central hunt by as soon as 2014.
    Can't say I disagree with the plan but at saying Cashner is a star.
  • Goober
    Needs a hobby
    • Feb 2009

I'm confused as to what they're blowing up. Most of their players don't have much trade value. Garza, Marmol and Castro seem to be the only players that will get a decent return, and Castro has to be untouchable, no?

Comment

• FirstTimer
      Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Goblinslayer
      I'm confused as to what they're blowing up. Most of their players don't have much trade value. Garza, Marmol and Castro seem to be the only players that will get a decent return, and Castro has to be untouchable, no?
      I think it's more tearing down the contract and trading anyone with value. I would assume Castro is untouchable. But who knows. Byrd, Zambrano etc may have some value depending on how much contract the Cubs want to eat. Same with Dempter.

Comment

• Chrispy
        Needs a hobby
        • Dec 2008

But like they said it shouldn't take longer then it normally would since alot of money is coming off their books after this season.

Comment

• FirstTimer
          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by cpollack09
          But like they said it shouldn't take longer then it normally would since alot of money is coming off their books after this season.
          Thank God.

Comment

• Chrispy
            Needs a hobby
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by FirstTimer
            Thank God.
            I suspect sarcasm

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
              • Sep 2024

Originally posted by FirstTimer
              I think it's more tearing down the contract and trading anyone with value. I would assume Castro is untouchable. But who knows. Byrd, Zambrano etc may have some value depending on how much contract the Cubs want to eat. Same with Dempter.
              Exactly. And Epstein is an asset collector. I think he would much rather pay half of someones contract for one year to get something back then to pay the entire thing knowing that the team is not going to make the playoffs. That is what he needs to do, and it looks like it will happen.

Also, if anyone has the credibility to say "we are rebuilding" it is Epstein.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by cpollack09
                I suspect sarcasm
                None. But right back.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuQ2L2taJ3A"]Christmas Vacation office greeting - YouTube[/ame]

Merry Christmas
                Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                Exactly. And Epstein is an asset collector. I think he would much rather pay half of someones contract for one year to get something back then to pay the entire thing knowing that the team is not going to make the playoffs. That is what he needs to do, and it looks like it will happen.

Also, if anyone has the credibility to say "we are rebuilding" it is Epstein.
                It's odd to see the Cubs being run like an actual MLB franchise.

Comment

• Youk
                  Posts too much
                  • Feb 2009

Another Fielder suitor bites the dust.

Comment

• mcstl25
                    M-Castle
                    • Feb 2009

There are few things I enjoy more in life than seeing the Cubs suck. Here's to another 100 years of not winning a world series.

Sorry, I'll stop posting in this thread now.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                      • Sep 2024

The Chicago Cubs will continue to try to improve their starting rotation, and part of that process may be to trade top starter Matt Garza for depth.

More On The Cubs

Can't get enough Cubs information? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest from the North Side. Blog

"I don't think we are done," Cubs president Theo Epstein said Friday after trading Sean Marshall to the Cincinnati Reds. "I do think we still need to build more depth on the starting pitching front, both in the big leagues and minor leagues.

"But it doesn't happen overnight. You have to make sacrifices. Just like moving Sean Marshall, who was certainly an asset for the 2012 club."

Another sacrifice would be dealing Garza, who led the Cubs with a 3.32 ERA and 197 strikeouts and tied for the team lead with 10 wins.

"Matt Garza is the type of pitcher you want to build around," Epstein said Friday. "He's a proven top-of-the-rotation guy, a proven performer in the playoffs. I think last year he had his best season, all things being equal.

"It's hard to find top-of-the-rotation guys, so if you have them, and if there's a way to keep them around, that's always compelling for the club. With that said, we've been honest. We are in a mode where we have to listen on everybody. And if there's a way to improve the long-term outlook for this club in a significant manner, we can't look past opportunities."

Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer talked to numerous teams about Garza during the winter meetings, including the Texas Rangers, Arizona Diamondbacks and Kansas City Royals, according to major league sources. Currently, the New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays have interest in Garza, after both missed out on posting for Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish.

"We aren't in a situation where we have to do anything with Garza," Epstein said. "But generally we are in the business right now of taking our short-term assets and turning them into long-term assets. In the case of Sean Marshall, that ended up happening in a trade. We turned a short-term asset in Marshall into what we hope will be three long-term assets (in Travis Wood, Dave Sappelt and Ronald Torreyes)."

It doesn't appear Epstein is closing the door on the possibility of extending Garza, who made $5.9 million in 2011 and will make $7 million to $8 million through arbitration in 2012. The Cubs have him under contract through 2013.

"In the case of Matt Garza, perhaps nothing happens, or perhaps we can turn him into a long-term asset by extending him on a deal that makes sense for everybody," he said. "We'll listen, because there's always an active trade market for top-of-the-rotation guys with multiple years of control."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...ing-matt-garza
                      Do you all think he comes anywhere close to recollecting what the previous regime paid out for Garza?

Comment

Working...