X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Youk
    Posts too much
    • Feb 2009

Carlos Quentin Traded To Padres

Find all the latest MLB news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

The Padres just announced that they have acquired outfielder Carlos Quentin from the White Sox for prospect right-hander Simon Castro and prospect left-hander Pedro Hernandez.

Quentin, a San Diego native, will be reunited with Josh Byrnes, who traded him to the White Sox for Chris Carter in December of 2007 when he was general manager of the Diamondbacks.

Quentin, 29, earned $5.05 million this season while batting .254/.340/.499 with 24 home runs, 77 RBI and an .838 OPS over 483 plate appearances. He is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter. While he’ll give a boost to the punchless Padres’ lineup, he’s leaving behind the best ballpark for right-handed power for one that’s in the middle of the pack.

As for the White Sox, I guess we can say the rebuilding effort is back on. Castro, 23, was hyped as a top prospect in the Padres’ organization last winter, but posted a disappointing 5.63 ERA and 94/34 K/BB ratio over 115 innings this past season between Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tucson. Hernandez, 22, posted a 3.49 ERA and a quality 94/22 K/BB ratio over 116 innings in 2011 between High-A Lake Elsinore, Double-A San Antonio and Triple-A Tucson. For what it’s worth, Baseball America did not include either of them among the Padres’ top 10 prospects earlier this month. That being said, they should rank much higher in the depleted White Sox system. And with Quentin gone, Dayan Viciedo should finally get a chance to play everyday.

It’s sort of a head-scratcher for the Padres in that they aren’t expected to contend this season, but they had the excess pitching depth in the minors to make this deal without hurting them in the long-term. Of course, there’s always the chance they can use Quentin as a trade chip around the deadline.
  • Villain
    [REDACTED]
    • May 2011

Say goodbye to that .254 batting average. Repeating the .838 OPS in the NL West? Dream on.
    [REDACTED]

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

I hate the final sentence of the article.

Unless you are Billy Beane who cries rivers and doesn't even bother trying, or you happen to be really really terrible, all of these teams are trying to win within whatever constraints they have. The Padres had an opportunity to grab a clear up grade with this move, for what amounted to a minimal cost to them in return, so it makes them better and it makes sense. This team essentially made the playoffs two years ago, and it's not like they have no chance this year.

It's not a fucking "head-scratcher", it's a team making a good trade, adding a decent player, and getting better.

Good deal for both sides.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by glenwillett
        I don't know which direction they're going here. I thought that the Latos trade signaled this team going into a full on re-build.
        I think for the nice haul of prospects they got in return, it was too hard to refuse, and they will gamble on Volquez.

Plus I think they think Latos is a nutcase.

Comment

• Rudi
          #CyCueto
          • Nov 2008

This move + the Latos don't don't really go hand in hand.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Let's not forget that Alonso will start for them, and Volquez will be in their rotation. Plus the two kids aren't far off at all, and may both play in the bigs this season.

It's not like they dumped Latos for a bunch of 19 year olds.

Comment

• NAHSTE
              Probably owns the site
              • Feb 2009

So the Pads have to trade Rizzo at this point, right? They also have Kyle Blanks and Jesus Guzman as corner guys who will need at bats.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                So the Pads have to trade Rizzo at this point, right? They also have Kyle Blanks and Jesus Guzman as corner guys who will need at bats.
                This is a pivotal point in time for the Padres, no doubt about it. They have pretty big decisions to make.

They could also hold on to Rizzo and flip Alonso to an AL team, where he can DH for 15 years.

Comment

• Goober
                  Needs a hobby
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MVPete1982
                  I have a feeling Quentin is going to work a new deal out in San Diego. He was a well known player in the area in HS and went to Stanford so it wouldn't be a shock for him to sign a cheaper contract with them. It will also give the fans someone to latch onto as the team makes some more moves and allows the young guys to get some playing time. Worst case scenario it's a 1 year rental to let Carlos come to San Diego, see how he likes it, and determine whether it's a good fit for him or not.
                  This is a good point. With Petco Park being the bane of runs, the Padres have trouble attracting premium position players to sign in San Diego. By buying low on Quentin, they're hoping that the home town player will resign after 2012.

It will be interesting to see what type of contract Quentin gets after this year, considering he can't stay healthy, hit for average and he sucks in the field.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

I'm hoping the Cubs can swing a deal for Rizzo.

Comment

• nwfisch
                      No longer a noob
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                      I'm hoping the Cubs can swing a deal for Rizzo.
                      James Russell and Randy Wells for Anthony Rizzo :yawkey::leftwich:

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

This move gives the Padres some flexibility. If they don't re-sign Quentin, they can keep him for the year and get FA compensation. He should be an easier player to keep though, and having his power is something the Padres desperately need.

With Rizzo and/or Alonser, it gives them trade options. This isn't a team that is done this off-season, as I still see at least one more trade happening.

Comment

Working...