X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FirstTimer
    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Cubs had no intention of signing Pujols or Fielder

According to Blake LaHair in the Chicago Tribune.

Playing in the Venezuelan Winter League this offseason, Chicago Cubs first baseman Bryan LaHair was busy keeping tabs of the Prince Fielder rumors that had been circulating on the Internet.

Was Fielder about to become a Cub, as many national outlets werer reporting?

“Yeah, that was fun,” LaHair said. “I got a whole bunch of e-mails and stuff, and for a while there I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. They had the two big dogs out there- Prince and (Albert) Pujols available. When they came off the board, that felt a lot better.”

LaHair, a 29-year-old, left-handed power hitter who earned Pacific Coast League MVP honors last year at Triple-A Iowa, really wasn’t all that concerned. He was informed early on by baseball president Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer to ignore them, and Fielder eventually wound up in Detroit.

“In the beginning they told me the whole Pujols-Fielder thing was all rumors at the time,” he said. “They didn’t really have much intention (on signing either one). Baseball can change day to day, so you never know, but it sounded like Theo really wanted to give me an opportunity.

“I think he feels like I’m capable and I have the abilities to succeed at the big league level, and that’s what I want to show them.”

LaHair led all minor leaguers with 38 home runs at Iowa, before getting some playing time with the Cubs in September, primarily as a corner outfielder.

While the new Cubs’ regime told LaHair he’d be their first baseman to start the 2012 season, they didn’t promise him he’d be there permanently. They also went out and acquired top first base prospect Anthony Rizzo from San Diego, after Hoyer had acquired Rizzo from Epstein the year before in the Adrian Gonzalez deal. One national writer referred to Rizzo as Hoyer’s “lucky rabbit’s foot,” and most everyone considers him the Cubs’ first baseman of the future, which would likely force LaHair to move to the outfield.

The Cubs plan on starting Rizzo out in Triple-A Iowa, but he’s on target to be called up at some point this season.

“Rizzo is a great kid,” LaHair said. “I wish the best for him. I hope he has a great spring, and he’s a great talent. I’m sure we’re going to work together. We’re friends and teammates. I’m pulling for him just like I’m sure he’s pulling for me.”
  • NAHSTE
    Probably owns the site
    • Feb 2009

Doesn't really shock me if true. The Cubs are not ready to spend like crazy, still have a lot of things to fix in the organization and one splashy signing would have basically been a cosmetic move.

Comment

• FirstTimer
      Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
      Doesn't really shock me if true. The Cubs are not ready to spend like crazy, still have a lot of things to fix in the organization and one splashy signing would have basically been a cosmetic move.
      Yeah, pretty much. Not shocked at all. And frankly I agree with it. Rickett's finally has a real baseball team in the FO. Lot's of bad paper to get rid of and plenty to fix right off the bat. Fielder or Pujols would have been a great signing as far as leverage for Wrigley renovations go but baseball wise it wouldn't have fixed much.

Seems Theo is starting to apply some pressure in Chicago to get the renovations done starting after this season.

Comment

Working...