Eric Wedge proves once again that managers have no idea how to construct a lineup

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slateman
    • Apr 2009

I like Ackley in the 3 hole better. He's got a nice walk rate and sees a lot of pitches.

Figgins
    Ichiro
    Ackley
    Smoak/Montero
    Montero/Smoak
    Gutierrez

This gives you three guys who can get on base with speed followed by three guys that have power. The number 1-3 hitters should score from first on a double in the gap. The 4/5/6 guys all have the power to get it there.
    The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
    As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
    If only I had died instead of you
    O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• Slateman
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
      I agree but if he's dropped off speed wise enough to cause a BA drop and infield hit drop like we saw last season I don't think his SB% rate woul dbe that high. Dude had an off season.
      Stolen bases do not equate to raw speed as much as beating out a hit. Bases are stolen off the pitcher. You don't have to be super fast and get a lot of stolen bases. Just have to make it a point and study pitchers.

Comment

• FirstTimer
        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Slateman
        Stolen bases do not equate to raw speed as much as beating out a hit. Bases are stolen off the pitcher. You don't have to be super fast and get a lot of stolen bases. Just have to make it a point and study pitchers.
        I wasn't using raw stolen base numbers.

Please try again.

Comment

• FirstTimer
          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

One post "Ichiro should score from first on a double"

Another post "Ichiro has lost speed"

:joeybats:

Comment

• FedEx227
            Delivers
            • Mar 2009

Bautista probably can't score from first on a double.
            VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• NAHSTE
              Probably owns the site
              • Feb 2009

Article is up on the frontpage. http://www.virtualsportsdaily.com/20...s-ichiro-done/

Comment

• West
                Cash4Golden
                • Oct 2008

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

Unfortunately, as a Mariners fan, you will be the one forced to 'deal with it'.

The guy is 34 and hit .188/.241/.243 last year.

Comment

• Slateman
                    • Apr 2009

I wasn't using raw stolen base numbers.

Please try again.
                    I agree but if he's dropped off speed wise enough to cause a BA drop and infield hit drop like we saw last season I don't think his SB% rate woul dbe that high. Dude had an off season.
                    SB% rate does not equate to raw speed as much as beating out a hit. Bases are stolen off the pitcher. You don't have to be super fast and get a lot of stolen bases. Just have to make it a point and study pitchers.
                    Are you happy now? Jesus, you completely missed the point. Being able to steal a base does not mean you have raw speed. It is surely helpful, but SB rate is a poor measure of speed. By that logic, the Red Sox should dump Ellsbury because his SB rate went way down last year.

Originally posted by FedEx227
                    Bautista probably can't score from first on a double.
                    No, but when a guy slugs .600+ and hits 43 bombs, I don't really expect him to be on first very often. Then again, he did walk 132 times ...

Comment

• FirstTimer
                      Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Are you happy now? Jesus, you completely missed the point.
                      Incorrect.

You did.

Being able to steal a base does not mean you have raw speed. It is surely helpful, but SB rate is a poor measure of speed. By that logic, the Red Sox should dump Ellsbury because his SB rate went way down last year.

Talk about still missing the point.

If Ichiro's speed dropped to the point where it cost him over 50 points on his batting average then I highly doubt his SB% would have been the third highest of his entire career. You'd see some sort of drop. You didn't.

Try and keep up.
                      Or do you not have the speed to do so?

:sammysosadatass:

No, but when a guy slugs .600+ and hits 43 bombs, I don't really expect him to be on first very often. Then again, he did walk 132 times ...
                      Way to miss the point...........

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                        Unfortunately, as a Mariners fan, you will be the one forced to 'deal with it'.

The guy is 34 and hit .188/.241/.243 last year.
                        I want to say that Figgins was the worst contract that the Mariners gave out over the past decade and then I remember they signed Richie Sexson :joeybats:

Comment

• Slateman
                          • Apr 2009

Incorrect.

You did.

Talk about still missing the point.

If Ichiro's speed dropped to the point where it cost him over 50 points on his batting average then I highly doubt his SB% would have been the third highest of his entire career. You'd see some sort of drop. You didn't.

Try and keep up.
                          Or do you not have the speed to do so?

:sammysosadatass:

Way to miss the point...........
                          Stealing bases =/= speed

Speed is more essential for beating out an infield hit than for stealing bases. Mind fact. Bases are stolen off pitchers more than they are stolen with pure legs.

Ichiro's batting average didn't drop 50 points. His on base percentage did. Meaning all the hard grounders that wouldn't be ruled an error, that Ichiro normally beat out, resulted in outs because Ichiro is slower.

Ricky Henderson maintained his SB% throughout his career. But, without a doubt, he was faster in 1982 than he was in 2000, even though the SB% were similar.

Stolen base rate is not an accurate measurement of speed in baseball. Especially for a veteran.

If you really want to decide this, the best thing to do would be break down tape and time how long it takes him to get to first out of the batter's box.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

Stealing bases =/= speed
                            Well, this is bullshit.

You are underrating speed in relation to SB's.

If speed doesn't matter, then why do most players see a sever decline in SB totals around 28-30 years of age? Are you saying they forgot how to read pitchers, or something?

If you are slow, you won't be stealing many bases, I don't care how good you are at picking up pickoff moves.

When it comes to Ichiro, he didn't see a decline in his steals or his SB%, and while his infield hits dropped some, he still had over 40 which is a healthy number.

Stolen base rate is probably not the most accurate measure of speed, but it's still a good one.

Comment

Working...